Tattoo Idea - overcoming rough times

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
I've made "mini goals" for myself, and when I complete them I'm giving myself rewards. For one of the goals I am allowing myself to get a tattoo. I've been contemplating what kind of tattoo I want for a long time (years).

I want a tattoo that represents the hard times I have had to go through. I lived in an emotionally abusive and manipulative household, as well as physically abusive. My parents and extended family were not so nice to me, to say in the least. I fell into a deep depression where I contemplated suicide on almost a daily basis because there were points where I felt like nothing. My mom would repeatedly tell me that the world would be a better place without me; and things much worse than that. I'm not trying to have a pitty party, and I rarely if ever talk about it, and the only person who truly understands my situation is my husband, and one close friend. I just want to give a picture of what I went through to help create a symbol or something representative of it.

I want a tattoo that represents the strength I've created for myself to withstand what I went through to remind me of when I go through other rough patches in the future (because life is a roller coaster)

I've been contemplating a hummingbird, but I don't like a lot of the designs. But I like what it represents. I also think a quote would be a good idea. I was thinking "She flies on her own wings" if I would get a quote... but it seems both ideas are generic, and I would really like something unique.

Does anyone have ideas or even designs, etc? Thank youu :)

Replies

• BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I do love the idea of the hummingbird. What kind of look do you want because there are many ways to go about it. This sounds science nerdy of me as well (sorry, envi graduate!) but are you thinking of a particular species of hummingbird, or not quite that much detail?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    japanese style!

hokusai-fuji-from-the-sea.jpg
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That feeling is a hard one. "I want a tattoo but I don't know what to get." It will come to you. You've prevailed through a lot, and you'll see something or think of something that's perfect very soon. :)
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Why not google the word hummingbird or other words/sentences that ring true to you and see what they look like in other languages? Latin/Arabic/Japanese etc all look beautiful using the right fonts. Use www.dafont.com to type in your word and schoose different styles. or you could choose a name/word/sentence and have the outline of a humminbird as shading behind the text.
    I have just had she flies with her own wings in latin inked on my inner arm - looks fabulous!
    Good luck choosing, it's hard but once you see it you will know it's right.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I really like this (below) but it's wayy too big. If I were to get a humming bird I'd only want it probably the size of a post-it note. I prefer black and white tattoos but I love this watercolor and color combo (all my three fav colors). I would have no idea where to put it. I kind of want a quote associated with it but I'm stumped :(
    187251296976940359_kc59Kw5l_c.jpg
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    go talk to a tattoo artist and give them your ideas. they can give you input back about what would look best and placement as well.
  • madacat
    Options
    I haven't seen many hummingbird tats, and I like the idea (and your quote!). Not really sure what you're into aside from them, but I googled a few quotes.

"As long as the birds fly I won't be troubled." It made me think of your bird. I like it cause it's not a quote I've ever really come by before. Might be cliche, but a bird cage tattoo. The door open or broken and hanging by a hinge. Depending on how much detail you want, vines could be coming up/wrapping around it, distorting it, etc. But the bird (hummingbird if you want?) is outside of it (sitting on top, taking flight, etc). I've also seen dandelion tattoos with the pieces of it blowing in the wind turning into flying birds. Could be too popular though. Something similar could be a part of a feather morphing into birds flying away, or whatever you want really.

"Out of difficulties grow miracles."
    "Storms make trees take deeper roots."
    "We are broken so we can become stronger."

I agree with cwettstain 100%. Look at a bunch of tattoos, art, quotes, etc.. find different elements that you connect to and eventually something will come, and you'll know. G'luck :')

Edit: SO many hummingbird tattoos http://pinterest.com/search/?q=hummingbird+tattoo
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I know its not a hummingbird but another consideration is a phoenix. The whole idea of rising from the ashes of your past and becoming who you are now. Just a consideration Im throwing out there.
  • erinblaze86
    Options
    stock-vector-phoenix-bird-34289107.jpg

Phoenix!
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    As long as it holds significant meaning to you, it is unique. If you get a hummingbird because you saw it on some singer and thought it looked cool, then it's just a popular tattoo. But if you get it because it symbolizes everything that you've been through and it holds a deeper meaning for you, who gives a s**t what anyone else thinks. That's my take on it. This coming from the girl who shares a "To Infinity...and Beyond" tattoo with her best friend. lol
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I like reminding yourself of your strength but I don't want you to think constantly of the abuse you suffered. I'd rather you wait to find something with a more positive note to it. You know when its right. Don't rush into anything.
  • RDHome224
    Options
    I was thinking of a tattoo again also, I have two.

I just want to say good job on fighting that horrible past.

There is a TV show I really like (i know lame lame lame) but the song from the beginning is really good and you could maybe take some thought from it. The best part is "I dont care, Im still free, You cant take the sky from me" and normally I wouldnt suggest something from a tv show, but from what you told all of us about your past, it is clear that something along those lines of the quote are very true of you, they didnt take away who your are and you seem to still be working for the better of yourself.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I know its not a hummingbird but another consideration is a phoenix. The whole idea of rising from the ashes of your past and becoming who you are now. Just a consideration Im throwing out there.
    A tattoo is a great idea. I like both the Phoenix or hummingbird ideas.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I like reminding yourself of your strength but I don't want you to think constantly of the abuse you suffered. I'd rather you wait to find something with a more positive note to it. You know when its right. Don't rush into anything.

I don't want it to symbolize the abuse. I want it to be a reminder that I am strong and can get through it and I've become who I am today because of the experiences I went through while at the same time humbling me. For me, it's a positive tattoo.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I like the phoenix idea, too!
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options

I don't want it to symbolize the abuse. I want it to be a reminder that I am strong and can get through it and I've become who I am today because of the experiences I went through while at the same time humbling me. For me, it's a positive tattoo.

a lot of people think some of my tattoos are "bad" because they just judge based on looks, and more times than not never care to ask the meaning, which i would happily share with anyone who asks me. that being said my life was very similar to yours growing up and the tattoo you see on my chest is two undead swallows, whose wings and body form a heart with an X ripped through it....now on to the story, among many things the traditional swallows represent a species that returns home ( to San Juan Capistrano ) every year, so mine, being undead and causing the X is my own way of saying i don't have plans to return to that life, i know it's a bit of a strech but it's my original idea that i thought of and had the tattoo artist tattoo on me, it has meaning to me, and it's more about what i have overcome and will never go back to (bad family, suicidal thoughts and actions, everything else) give it some thought and i would advise you to pick something you like (such as humming birds) research them, find a link between them and what you want your tattoo to mean to you, and create something special :wink:
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    stock-vector-phoenix-bird-34289107.jpg

Phoenix!

Awesome idea!! Nothing like rising from the ashes of your past!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    japanese pheonix!

tattoo2.jpg
  • jeby8
    jeby8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I got my tattoo for MANY of the same reasons as you and I did a lot of research before-hand on something that I felt not only represented the hard times I've been through, but the good times ahead of me. That's why I decided to go with a beautiful Japanese cherry blossom tree tattoo on my ribs! Here is mine: (hope it works, my first time posting a picture!)

46803917776506792463056.jpg
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would do some research in your area and find a really good artist. Go to him or her and talk about what you want. Together you can come up with the design that you want.