women doing p90x can you help me please?

Options
hey all. my boyfriend is doing p90x it`s his second week and results are showing already. he has encouraged me todo it but i just want to know whch dvds to do and obviously reps with less resistance as i dont want to bulk up. any tips on what to do and when :) thanks

Replies

• jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing P90X. I actually just started over (I was three weeks into it) so that my husband could do it with me. I do ALL the workouts; I just modify anything that's too hard. I am still doing all my pullups with help from a chair, and I am just now starting to do certain kinds of pushups the normal guy way instead of the girl way. All the weight-lifting I do 15 reps a set with fairly light weights. I definitely do NOT want to bulk up--I'm getting ready for my wedding in about five months. I'm seeing big results (11 pounds in three weeks!), and I'm seeing muscle definition (specifically in my arms) without lots of bulk. Just go for it! Don't skip any of the workouts; modification is the best strategy!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in here:

It is very, very, very difficult for women to "bulk up" as it takes testoterone to do this. Heavy weights = bulk, well, It's a myth, essentially. Women who are crazy big (think extreme bodybuilders) either work very, very, very hard on on their diets and lift very, very heavy or they are juicing. (on steroids)

Long story short, if you want results lift as heavy as you can with good form for the number of reps you're after. If you're on your last few reps, and it's still easy, go heavier.

Don't fear the weights, ladies. Please.:flowerforyou:
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of p90x & I do ALL of the workouts. I follow the "classic" program just like my husband does. I go as heavy as I can manage & do all my push-ups "like a man". I now weigh the same as I did when I got married & am more toned than I have been...well, maybe ever. I follow the nutrition guide that comes w/the program. It is a FANTASTIC program & if you push play everyday & give it everything you've got...you will be amazed at the results.
  • selinee_81
    selinee_81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the advice tommorrow is the day to start :) if my boyfriend can do the yoga i should do p90x :)
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My husband really wanted to do P90X a few months ago, but it really seemed like a waste of money to me. All I could think was "Thats a lot to pay for some workout DVD's" but after reading all the board posts on here and a recommendation from a friend, I think we are going to do it! This advice was good, thanks!!!
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There are 3 versions of P90X, the "Lean" version is one which has less weight lifting and has a lot of cardio which still kicks butt!

EDIT: I completed the Classic version as well & trust me you don't bulk up but, you get nicely shaped & you find you can do your push-ups the reg way instead of on your knees. I still can't do a pull up by myself, I still use the resistance bands!
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My husband really wanted to do P90X a few months ago, but it really seemed like a waste of money to me. All I could think was "Thats a lot to pay for some workout DVD's" but after reading all the board posts on here and a recommendation from a friend, I think we are going to do it! This advice was good, thanks!!!

Yeah Sarah you should look into getting it. You pay more for a gym membership over a yr then you'll pay for P90X which you have forever!!! If you do his workouts the right way & push through the pain, really there is no need to go back to a gym!!!