First 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    I completed my first 5k and less than 6 months after that I completed my first Half Marathon. That's what I love about running so much is that you can see the improvment so quickly.......so stay with it and you'll see the benefits!
    Besides the obvious before every race (carb and hydrate the day before) I always do a new playlist on my iPod. This is a treat for me during the race that gives me an extra boost of energy and I find it's mind over matter when I run.

Good luck and congratulations!! :flowerforyou:
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi! I did it too!!! It was my first 5K, and I am soooo pleased- my time was better than expected. What did you do to train? (For me, weeks 1-6 of C25K) Are you going to do another? (I'm thinking spring...) And most importantly- wasn't that fondue AMAZING????
    Congrats and keep up the good work!
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Keep signing up for 5K's and you will reach your goals in no time! I just started running this summer, and all these fun 5K races keep me so motivated and give me a sense of accomplishment. I think it's helpful to make working out about more than weight loss.
  • lisaahlgrim
    lisaahlgrim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to run the whole time, but it was a good first step!
  • lisaahlgrim
    lisaahlgrim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's so fun! I did the Couch to 5k as well, but I had to keep alternating between running and walking. I wasn't thrilled with my time and I want to keep improving. I already signed up for another 5k for December 1st! It still feels like an uphill battle, but I'm moving.
  • simfarm
    Options
    I've been at it a while. First I was just trying to get from point A to B - now I'm working on improving time. I have family all over Texas so I've started combining 5ks with visits. Gives me an excuse to go visit, and keeps me on track while I'm there. SO far - it's working!

20428768.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Your first 5K is the first step of a brand new life! Last year I did mine and this year, well, tomorrow.... I am travelling from Jeddah to Abu Dhabi to run my second Half Marathon!

You will enjoy the "kick" of running!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Congrats to you.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!! I am looking forward to my hot chocolate run in Phoenix. Only 5 weeks away! I can't wait! It will be my longest walk/jog race yet. 15K.

You are amazing for starting off with a 5K!!! Congratulations!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!! I am looking forward to my hot chocolate run in Phoenix. Only 5 weeks away! I can't wait! It will be my longest walk/jog race yet. 15K.

Plan accordingly. IMHO, The race was poorly organized. There was a 3 hour wait on Friday. and 1.5-2 hour wait on Saturday for the packet pickup. Many were given a different bib number than what was registered. My time is still not available. My bib number is different than the one registered. I have sent a many emails complaining , and RAM still has not responded, nor fixed the error.

The race field was congested. They had walkers, 5K's and 15's all taking off from the same corrals. Weaving was difficult. At one point, I was running up and down from the sidewalk to the street just to get around the walkers {some pushing strollers}. The race started at 0700, I started at 0740, with many corrals behind me. Some people waited over an hour for the race to start. Unfortunately, many in the late corrals did not get any chocolate, as they ran out before the last runners crossed the finish line.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Plan accordingly. IMHO, The race was poorly organized. There was a 3 hour wait on Friday. and 1.5-2 hour wait on Saturday for the packet pickup. Many were given a different bib number than what was registered. My time is still not available. My bib number is different than the one registered. I have sent a many emails complaining , and RAM still has not responded, nor fixed the error.

The race field was congested. They had walkers, 5K's and 15's all taking off from the same corrals. Weaving was difficult. At one point, I was running up and down from the sidewalk to the street just to get around the walkers {some pushing strollers}. The race started at 0700, I started at 0740, with many corrals behind me. Some people waited over an hour for the race to start. Unfortunately, many in the late corrals did not get any chocolate, as they ran out before the last runners crossed the finish line.

Oh man, that is disappointing to hear. I signed up and was looking forward to this race. :( My Thanksgiving Turkey Trot was horrible at the end. They ran out of water and bananas and only had donut holes left. Because of this I decided I needed to get faster, in order to take full advantage of goodies at the finish line. Afterall, I did pay the same amount as those ahead of me!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope it is the first of many races to come! Be consistent, be safe and above all, just have fun!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Any other runners out there feel free to add me as a friend!

I am running my first 5k this weekend and plan on running much longer races in 2013 including my first full marathon next summer
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!! Running can become very addictive! I started two years ago with a 5K turkey trot and I've done everything from 5Ks to half marathons. My 2nd half is coming up on December 9th. Any runners out there feel free to add me.

I did the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K run last February and I have to say I was a little disappointed with it. Very disorganized and not enough "goodies" at the end. I didn't even get any hot chocolate.....oh well, my friends and I still had fun and isn't that really what it's all about!