HELP! My appetite is CRAZY!

Jlinares
Jlinares Posts: 16
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So last week all I did was concentrate on changing my eating habits. I think I succeeded for the week. I ate so much fruit and veggies that I was NEVER hungry. This week (since Sunday) I started working out while maintaining my new eating habits, Mostly cardio stuff but some strength training as well. Now my appetite is growing and I don't know if this is due to the workouts or is my body trying to fight me!? Any helpful thoughts would be welcomed!

Replies

• lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Are you eating more calories this week to account for the increased exercise?
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    How much are you lifting? Your body needs fuel to build that muscle. Are you putting any carbs in? watch what you are eating but you may want to consider eating a little more than you are now.
  • are you fueling and refueling your body pre- and post- workout?

you should be eating good complex carbs before your workout to give your body energy, and afterwards refuel with a good source of healthy protein. I personally bring a protein shake along with me to the gym so that I know I'll be able to consume good protein quickly after my workout (you should refuel w/ protein 10-30 minutes after your workout for the best benefits).

Doing this will also help you raise your lean body mass and give you the muscle tone you're (most likely) wanting with the strength training!
  • cwainwright78
    cwainwright78 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi,

I am no professional but I am working out with one and she has given me some great tips, ones that were hard at first but better now that I stuck through it for a while. First, find out from a nutritionist or a qualified personal trainer what your calorie intake should be for the days you work out and when you don't (for this training camp I am in at the moment, even though we are working out we can only eat up to 100 calories more per day then if we were not working out). Then, when you are not hungry take a moment to go through your pantry, get rid of all the foods that are not beneficial to your weight loss goal (I thought it was a sin to throw it away so I gave all my junk food to my "skinny" family members...ha ha ha) then go food shopping and get only healthy items that have low carbs and fat and high fiber and protein. I started eating Breakstone's cottage cheese doubles, I only like the strawberry ones, and it took me a long time to get over the texture but now I actually love them. Also, Thomas' betterstart light multigrain english muffins or their Honey Wheat double fiber english muffins with 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter on each side and a few slices of bananas-- sounds yuck but it is soooo delicious and filling. Protein bars still gross me out but the Balance bars are edible and after 20 min you really do feel satisfied. My hardest thing is remembering to sit and eat and then giving myself 20 min to digest what I have eaten so my brain realizes that I am full otherwise I gorge. Those are some little tips, if you they work for you and you like them let me know I will let you know some other things that have worked for me. I know how much of a struggle losing weight is. I know everyone has advice on what to do and it can get annoying but the trick is really listening to what works for other people and then choosing which tricks will work for you too!!!
  • Wow! Thanks for all the great responses everybody! Lots of good advice!
This discussion has been closed.