Do You Eat Processed Food?

Options
2»

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you can't cook it would be almost impossible to stop eating processed food. MFP has a recipe board.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you can't cook it would be almost impossible to stop eating processed food. MFP has a recipe board.
    Where? I can only access those recipes that I have created myself.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't eat processed food, but I suppose I'm lucky that I have the time and I like to cook, a lot of recipes can be made quite quickly and a lot of people make up batches of meals and freeze them for through the week. I used to do that when I worked full time.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yep I do.

I do try and balance it out though.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent topic, instead of not eating processed food, I aim to eat fewer foods that have a list of preservatives and chemicals in the ingredients. If it isn't. 2 difficult or 2 expensive I also choose organic.
    As far as the earlier comment that "everything is processed", of course a fresh pineapple was handled b4 I purchased it but that is considered "non-processed" even though -, myself didn't grow it.
    So maybe 20% of what is eat is processed but that is much better than b4 I became aware of how important it is to eat foods that have "no-ingredient" list.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with allowing yourself to have processed foods. It is about your diet overall, fit it into your calories and macros for the day while getting sufficient micros.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I do eat processed foods. I think cutting them out completely would be very difficult.

I eat them for lunch a lot of the time, but I think microwave meals have come a long way. I buy the ones that have simple ingrediants on the back, and no artificial anything. A lot of the ones I buy have a portion of veg in them too. You pay more, but it's a much better quality of food.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I hope you know that cottage cheese and greek yogurt are also processed foods... so in reality, you didn't cut them all out.

Personally, I eat a lot of processed foods.. and I do fine. The reason why I'm maintaining so well is because I eat the same damn foods everyday.... and since I already know the calorie count in them, I know I'm not going over.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    I eat things like cereal for breakfast, deli meats, tinned fish, sometimes sausages and pate but I cant remember the last time I ate a ready meal. I live in Uganda (East Africa) so we dont get much processed food here, I would say we make 90% of our own food including bread, ice cream, juices, cakes (not for me, I dont have a sweet tooth!), soups etc. Besides, I love to cook so its not a chore for me to be in the kitchen.

I do love a kebab and/or whopper with cheese whenever I visit family in the UK though! Its all about moderation.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The only processed food I strive to eat are only salt free or very low sodium products. I am striving to keep my sodium levels at or under 2000. To me, this means a lot of canned, premade meals, and chain restaurants are out. I don't mind because I focus on what I can have, not on what I can't have. I like to bake and slow cook, so I find there are a lot of meals I can make for myself and my active lifestyle.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    Yes, way too much! I just don't have the time to cook every single meal. I'm trying to balance it out more..
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    you know I heard there's communities now where people eat only unprocessed produce, they're like self sufficient communities and they also have done away with the greatest evil of all, electricity! where do I sign up?

amish.jpg

a healthy diet has almost nothing to do with weather food is processed. its definitely good to be cooking meals and of course making sure you get your micronutrients, but it is in no way essential to avoid processed foods.

I'd rather my natural peanut butter came in a jar, with an ingredients list stating: peanuts 100% then waste time doing it myself.

there's a benefit of standing upright as an animal, it frees up your hands so you can make things with them. theres also a greater benefit from having a larger brain, you can make machinery and methods to streamline things so you dont have to do it with your hands anymore.

processed or not, its what your diet is made of that counts.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, not all but some. I like to cook from scratch as well but some of the seasonings are used are from containers so...
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    YES.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm a really good cook and baker, but I don't cook 3 meals a day from scratch. I eat bread, yogurt, deli meats, ect. Processed =/= bad.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat, huh?

(Pass me a thin person, please)
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I eat processed food all the time. I also put salt on it. I still lost weight by eating less food and exercising more. I don't buy organic fruit because I can afford more fruit if I buy the regular kind. What's worse, chemicals or no fruit at all?
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid processed foods, but I admit I do eat some from time to time. Mostly I've made an effort to find recipes and things I can make quickly and easily that my family will enjoy. It's a challenge, but it's rewarding when you find something good! Way back in the day nutrasweet always gave me headaches, so since then, I've always stayed away from artificial sweetners.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat, huh?

(Pass me a thin person, please)

Ha ha ha!!!