How many calories should I be aiming for?

Options
Hi

I'm just trying to work out how many calories I should be aiming for per day, as I don't seem to be getting anywhere!

I'm 5'3'' and currently weigh around 57kg (maybe a bit more - I don't have weighing scales but this was not so long ago and I haven't really gained/lost much so I'm guessing that is accurate). Activity level is sedentary as I have an office job.

Help!!

Thanks
Heather

Replies

• wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Go to "Goals" and plug it all in.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    its around 1500-1600cals but doesnt this site help u out with calculations?
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know it does on here but I've not found it to be very accurate as I'm not really achieving anything!
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Based on how long is this?

I looked through your diary and you log for a few days on and then not, then you log, then you don't. What results are you expecting from not tracking your food? Weight-loss isn't overnight, it takes dedication and consistency. You need to stick to this for a month solid and then see whether or not you can see a change. You only seem to have "restarted" logging a week ago - give it some more time. (You have 27 blank days in October, out of 31, so it's not even a case of more good days than bad!!)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It's only the last couple of months that I've not been able to log consistently for various reasons. If you look further back you'll see how consistently I logged. It's just frustrating to have nothing moving! I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    How much do you aim to lose?
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    start experimenting with different food schedules...i was doing workouts and most of my heavier meals later in the day and was losing weight on that. BUT i would also become famished if i stayed up anything past 8 so now im figuring out how to rotate my workouts and food to be heavy in the AM and easy in the evening. It all depends.

Otherwise, if you are tracking and eating well, you could have a thyroid problem. Or be eating too many carbs/sugar. Those will slow down your metabolism no matter what fitness level youre at because they always convert badly in your system. Your body works twice as hard to break them down instead of your metabolism being busy with breaking down fat stores.

good luck!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add that it seems overall by checking your food diary, that you eat under your calories usually? 1200 is a good start for anybody but you dont seem to be eating all of that.The secret to losing weight consistently is that you need need need to eat your calories! Or your body will hold onto its fat stores thinking you are in an emergency (ie undergoing starvation).
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", looking to loose (at least initially) 20 lbs (I've got 9.5 to go) and according to MFP, I'm at 1200 net calories/day. I also exercise everyday and I don't usually eat all of those calories back. So far this is working well for me and my only worry is switching to maintenance because I don't plan on ever stopping exercising and I don't plan on ever stopping logging what I eat - it keeps me accountable and helps me plan indulgences without getting me into trouble.

So, for you, I guess I'd say if you don't want to eat less, then move more! Oh, and I have an office job like you do too.