gRoSS-ery sHoPpInG

Options
It's gross, I hate it! lol

No really. I despise this chore. I know what foods are good for me, and I'm actually okay buying them. But I don't go shopping alone. My thin, built husband always comes with me. He says, HOT DOGS! I say okay, I can do that. Let's get the light ones. And then he mumbles, ok. CHILI... okay let's get turkey chili. NO, look they have this white chili...I wonder what that tastes like and then he puts it in the cart. That's with EVERYTHING!!!! We don't have money to buy two kinds of everything lol. It's frustrating because he's very supportive and happy that I'm trying to lose weight and feel better, but then he ignores the fact that it means I must change how we eat. So then I feel guilty because he acts like the foods I have to get don't taste as good as the ones next to them on the shelf. So I give in. Then I have to eat smaller portions and I'm hungry a few hours later.

What am I gonna do with that man???? LOL

Replies

• SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would sit down and tell him exactly what you have posted and tell him that you feel he's SAYING that he want's to support you but he's not making the ACTIONS to support you. If he really wants to eat something different than you, challenge him to adjust the budget, in way acceptable to both of you, that will accommodate this.
  • EmilyKonfrst
    Options
    I get alot of stuff off of www.kraftfoods.com They have a budget friendly weekly menu that tells all the ingredients and recipes and includes one day where you can have frozen pizza.

I have never followed it (I make my own menu before I go grocery shopping) but my fiance and I sit down every week and decide together what we are having each day for dinner before we even go to the grocery store. Then I try to use somewhat of the same ingredients throughout the week. i.e. - I make homemade salsa for a snack (which is really healthy and good) and then that week we have tacos, mexican style chicken breasts, foil pack fajitas (all using the salsa) and on the in between days we have chicken and potatoes with lipton onion soup, and then ill use a crock pot recipe that same week with french onion soup or whatever.

If I make pasta one week, I also save some and use pasta salad to have with hamburgers that same week. Ive been sneaking stuff in with my pasta like peppers and stuff like that because I dont eat veggies alone.

I started cooking with olive oil. Its much easier and my fiance cant tell the difference. He likes boring food - tacos, speghetti, nothing fancy and nothing really healthy so I try to make simple things that are healthy and still taste good, or add more to his boring foods.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Maybe pull up that Biggest Loser episode a couple of weeks ago where they showed the true cost of being overweight, and the true health issues. Woke my dh up. Of course, I just had to threaten to pull it up on the computer and make him watch it again LOL!
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Heh, my boyf is the same way. Vocally, he's very supportive... he's my very own little cheer team. But so much of the time, he'll just be so focused on having what he wants that he doesn't realize how much it limits my own choices.

Grrr.

Luckily, I do go to the grocery by myself most of the time... so if he wants something other than what I got, he can go out and get it himself. Nyah!
  • Honey7o2
    Options
    Maybe pull up that Biggest Loser episode a couple of weeks ago where they showed the true cost of being overweight, and the true health issues. Woke my dh up. Of course, I just had to threaten to pull it up on the computer and make him watch it again LOL!

Which episode was that? I'd like to watch it :)
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    although we always eat together as a family, we do not eat the same meal here. I fix a meal for myself and maybe the kids will have some. Tonight, I made grilled chicken, and put broccoli, mushrooms and pineapple into the wok and sauteed. Mixed in 2 tbls. of Kens lite asian dressing (it was yummy!), served with steamed rice. My 9 year old ate chicken and rice, my 17 year old cleaned out everything and my husband ate pretzels with cheese on them. I cannot let his eating habits and lifestlye change my course here. One of us has to be alive to see our girls get married. And I have told him that, and left him alone. I am hoping he will soon bend to my example.