Holidays are coming ...

Options

Replies

• Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat a little bit of eveything in moderation,overindulgence is what got me on this site so no more of that lol ^u^
  • S_Delbridge
    Options
    for the holiays, my plans are to : get my plate last, that way everything looks "picked over" and its not as appealing to me. Also use a smaller plate that way you have less room to pile things on!! I will be eating a salad first to curve the hunger but also filling my plate with lots of veggies before I dip into anything else!! also I will be working out heavily in tha AM, that way if I do indulge in somethings I dont feel guilty (:
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Head over to NerdFitness and read this article...it's specifically taylored to this question:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/11/05/no-holiday-weight-gain/

Awesome article, thanks hiker!!!
  • Izzwoz
    Options
    All my family (including my kids ages 10-12 and 15) have signed up for a local "Turkey Trott" thanksgiving morning. Theres no way I will feel guilty after running a 5k before Thanksgiving dinner! >:O)

Also I will have my Insanity workout that day too...

Awesome idea, well done you!!! Hope you're enjoying your hols!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Portions. You can enjoy the holidays without eating everything in sight. I lost 3 pounds the week of Christmas last year and what I did was only had tastes of the treats and very small portions. At the dinners, I had mostly veggies. You can do it!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    We gave up on Thanksgiving a few years ago.
    We now go rent a room for 3 or 4 nights at a local resort (off season rates). We swim, use the gym and just hang out and read. We eat light.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to do an extra workout to help burn a few extra calories. Then I always make sure to take a few healthy dishes to any get togethers (lately we just stay home and I cook a small meal which helps). Make sure to fill up on salad before you eat the main meal and take a time between the dishes. If you know your going to be a long time wait to have desert or maybe have a small portion of one thing then wait a while and have a small portion of something else. I also found that taking gum helped me to keep my mind off of not eating all the goodies. And whatever you do DO NOT SIT AROUND THE FOOD ALL NIGHT!! Good luck!!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it would be best to not "prep" your system. If suddenly eating "crap" food makes you feel like crap, then you will remember that and realize how wonderful your healthy lifestyle really is.

I don't eat McDonald's very often. I went and had a big mac a few months ago for the first time in like 3-4 years.... You know what? It kicked my butt! I felt ILL.... Just reminded me that I wasn't missing anything "good" and I was better off not eating it.

Moderation is Key. I went through last Thanksgiving/Christmas counting my calories, I wasn't super strict those days, but I didn't gain! (I gained when I got pregnant/miscarried. :-\)
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you! We are taking this adventure very serious... After all slow and steady wins the race!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Leave yourself enough room in your diet to eat a couple (like one or two) cookies a day. One "serving" of dessert. Then focus on getting nutritious food. I'm not going to tell you to binge on holiday food because you do need to be able to exert some control over your diet, but that doesn't mean you can't have anything. Consider this a really valuable experience
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would say DON'T ramp up your body. That way you will be fuller with smaller portions. I will be trying to do as much walking as I can over that holiday week so that if I have a cookie or 3 its not going to kill me. Then just jump back into your routine as soon as you get home. Have a good time, don't sweat it just don't go completely wild :drinker:
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I never have had much of a problem on the acutal day; but getting rid of all the leftovers usually makes the next several days dicey.

Great article from Nerdfitness.com!
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not really into the holidays I may just fast all together for all those days so I won't be worried about doing tricks for the holidays. I will probable do longer workouts too in order to keep my mind off of such. But if I were to do anything I would eat off a saucer and no leftovers at all. Like only eat that stuff on that day only.
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For me, it will all be about forgiveness. whatever happens, forgive yourself.

Im luckier than most in that my sister, and her hubby are following the same program i am...so we will encourage eachother. However, lots of her hubby's family will be there, and my b/f will need to eat, so there will be temptations galore. plus we have a second christmas with my dad and aunt in Jan. That will be harder as they both love food as much as i do. Plus they don't cook in the most healthy way.

All i can say is try to have supportive ppl around you. and if you are hosting, or can bring your own stuff without offending anyone...then pick things you want to help you. Veggie platters go over just as well as any other appetizers. One year i made my own pumpkin dessert for a xmas party...pumpkin pie filling, vanilla non fat yogurt, and pumpkin pie spice, all whipped together. LOL i didn't make enough, and there was pie left over. the next year, the host phoned and asked me for the recipe.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I dont think going into maintenance to prepare would be doing yourself any good. Just splurge on the actual holiday and thats that.

I plan on shopping all day black friday to work off my thanksgiving meal ;)
  • DeonnPaul
    DeonnPaul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would keep following my normal routines, and not bother slowly increasing calories and getting up to maintenance. Eat and exercise as you generally do. It takes many days for your metabolism to speed up or slow down- one meal isn't going to destroy everything. Christmas day and Thanksgiving day are only TWO days out of the whole year. Even if you eat a bit more on both days, your weight isn't going to permanently go up. Perhaps the increase in sodium and sugar will boost your weight up a pound or two. So what? When Christmas has passed, skip your weigh in for an extra week. Get right back to your normal eating and work out routines, and give yourself a week until you weigh. If you are truly teaching yourself good nutrition and habits then your weight will fall back to where it was, and you can continue on your journey towards a healthier you.
  • DeonnPaul
    DeonnPaul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself for eating food? I don't think you should apologize for eating. I think it's a better idea to simply stop eating when you are full. There will always be another meal.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    For me, it will all be about forgiveness. whatever happens, forgive yourself.

Im luckier than most in that my sister, and her hubby are following the same program i am...so we will encourage eachother. However, lots of her hubby's family will be there, and my b/f will need to eat, so there will be temptations galore. plus we have a second christmas with my dad and aunt in Jan. That will be harder as they both love food as much as i do. Plus they don't cook in the most healthy way.

All i can say is try to have supportive ppl around you. and if you are hosting, or can bring your own stuff without offending anyone...then pick things you want to help you. Veggie platters go over just as well as any other appetizers. One year i made my own pumpkin dessert for a xmas party...pumpkin pie filling, vanilla non fat yogurt, and pumpkin pie spice, all whipped together. LOL i didn't make enough, and there was pie left over. the next year, the host phoned and asked me for the recipe.
    I am not trying to be rude, but when did enjoying food with family, become something you need to "forgive" yourself for doing?

I have always stated (created a blog or two) about the holidays being ONLY two days out of the year. In the grand scheme of things, those two days won't do anything.
  • Izzwoz
    Options
    There will always be another meal.

You know, in this one simple sentence you have made me realise so many things?! For most of my life I used to eat like there wasn't ... but it is very true, in our world, there will always be another one, not even that far ahead.
    Thank you for those simple but oh so true words!
  • Izzwoz
    Options
    I never have had much of a problem on the acutal day; but getting rid of all the leftovers usually makes the next several days dicey.

Great article from Nerdfitness.com!

Thankfully that is one of the things we won't have to deal with much as we will be travelling between families and won't be forced to take leftovers with us, but I know what you mean, it would be a shame to waste all the food but similarly, it would be a shame to put on all those pounds again! My mum is getting good at getting the portions right so there won't be many leftovers, but I remember eating christmas cake and cookies for days after the actual holidays! ;-)