some advice please

Options

Replies

• Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to track your sodium, go into foods tab and click on settings all the way to the right - you will have choices. Choose the 5 that are the most important to you - mine are calories, protein, carbs, fiber, and cholesterol. You choose yours!
  • melmckay99
    Options
    MFP tells me I should be eating about 1200 calories a day. I try to stay around this number whether I exercise or not that day. When I first started, I would let myself eat more when I exercised because I thought I was supposed to. I didn't get any results that way. I don't have a huge weight loss goal (I only want to lose about 15 lbs) but I am well on my way now that I've limited myself to 1200 cals!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    add sodium to what you are tracking

Yup!! Track your sodium! For myself, one day of high sodium affects my weight for 3-4 days after....so if I have a higher sodium day every three days, the scale doesn't like to move down. Lol.

Sorry but how do i track the sodium????

Go to "settings" then "diary settings" then under "nutrients tracked" select sodium for the last one. Keep tracking all the others too! Also, I took a look at everyday since oct 11, and since it's your last twenty or so pounds to lose, you MAY have to limit all the candy/chocolate.....
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    ok, I've had a look at your diary, and from what I can see you ate strawberries once, and potato twice in two weeks. thats 3 servings of vegetables in 2 weeks.

days like this:

M&S - Toasted Triple Bacon & Cheese Club Sandwich, 1 portion 630 48 33 32
    Mc Donald's - Small French Fries, 1 Sm. Bag 230 29 11 3
    Tim Hortons - Toasted Chicken Club Sandwich, White Roll, Regular, According to Website, 0.5 sandwich 195 27 4 14
    1,055 104 48 49
    Dinner
    Tescos - New York Cheese Cake, 1 cake

are not good for you. 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. you didn't average 1 a day from your diary. at 1400 cals, or any intake for that matter, its important to eat a nutritionally balanced diet to avoid deficiencies and the ramifications for your health.

I saw you the only breakfast you had was a milky way bar for breakfast!! that will make you crave sugar and carbs all day!

if you are eating 1400 calories, you need to take extra care to balance your diet, and the kind of foods you are eating could be hindering the weight loss.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Actually, fasting in the morning is very beneficial.

Your insulin sensitivity is highest when you wake up, and your body is in fat burning mode.

If you eat something, it will spike your insulin, and all fat burning will halt.

Other bad stuff will happen, but it's best to wait at least 3 hours after waking up to eat anything.

Coffee with heavy cream is okay, though.

If I were you, OP, I would look into eating less or no grains.

Not this - sorry, but this goes against every nutritional guide out there - you have already fasted for the overnight while you slept - your body needs fuel - and the insulin is used to tell your muscles to burn the fuel in a specific order. Please check in with a nutritionist, or your doctor. like I said before - we all are different and what works for one does not necessarily work for another. There is never an instance where adding heavy cream to your body is a good idea - it blocks arteries and digests slowly directly into fat! spend $100 for a nutritionist, dietician consult - well worth your money and your health!
  • nikilis
    Options

if you heck her diary, you would see that taking out grains would take out half her diet. she doesn't need to eat less.

i suppose it depends of weather your planning on being healthy. if you look at her diary, the food shes eating is probably contributing, its not a healthy diet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Actually, fasting in the morning is very beneficial.

Your insulin sensitivity is highest when you wake up, and your body is in fat burning mode.

If you eat something, it will spike your insulin, and all fat burning will halt.

Other bad stuff will happen, but it's best to wait at least 3 hours after waking up to eat anything.

Coffee with heavy cream is okay, though.

Not this - sorry, but this goes against every nutritional guide out there - you have already fasted for the overnight while you slept - your body needs fuel - and the insulin is used to tell your muscles to burn the fuel in a specific order. Please check in with a nutritionist, or your doctor. like I said before - we all are different and what works for one does not necessarily work for another. There is never an instance where adding heavy cream to your body is a good idea - it blocks arteries and digests slowly directly into fat! spend $100 for a nutritionist, dietician consult - well worth your money and your health!

uh....not EVERY nutritional guide...and dude...you really dont know what you are talking about...no offense...heavy cream does not dissolve directly into fat...you are the one who should see a nutritionist
  • epequeno12
    Options
    I have to agree with the breakfast club. Though I just started my weight loss journey after having my first child and so far only have 7lbs to show for my lifestyle change, I do have many years of prior living experience with nutrition and exercise.

A lot of fitness and exercise professionals say that eating breakfast is a must- particularly within 30 mins. of waking. They say that it revs up your metabolism for the day and you want to keep refueling every 3 hours. When you go hungry your metabolism slows to go into a conservation mode. Back in our primitive hunting days this is what our bodies had to do to survive!

I took a peak at your food diary and you may want to read The Carb Cycle Solution by Chris Powell. I'm not saying to carb cycle, but the book definitely encourages fueling and nurturing your body as opposed to skimping out on calories and other important nutrients. It also has a great master grocery list of good for you food! Hope this helps!
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    and if you are going to eat fish. do not eat fish thats deep fried, its little things like that that wont help you, even if you are within calorie limit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Wait.... you have your cals set for 1,400.... but you are actually eating 1,600 Plus Exercise cals? How many average exercise cals are you eating a day?

Really, you should do a little research.

Figure out your BMR- this is the number of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma, it is the minimum your body needs for basic bodily functions.

Figure out your TDEE - this is the number of calories for BMR PLUS everything you do, including working out and everything else. This is also known as "maintenance calories" because it is the number of calories where you would not gain or lose, you would stay the same weight.

You should eat above BMR but below TDEE. A good calculation for healthy weight loss is to eat 20% less than TDEE (if you use this method, then you would not also eat exercise calories.) And as you get closer to your goal weight you need to moderate your deficit to 15% then 10%.

Since you are close to your goal, your weight loss is going to be slower and smaller. I recommend setting your desired weight loss to .5 pound per week.

You may also be overestimating the amount of calories you are burning if you do not have a heart rate monitor. So between perhaps not having an appropriate number of calories set to begin with and eating more exercise calories, this is probably why you haven't lost.

This is more important than the content of what you are eating, or when you are eating it, once you have the right amount of calories targeted, then you can worry about that other stuff.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

A lot of fitness and exercise professionals say that eating breakfast is a must- particularly within 30 mins. of waking. They say that it revs up your metabolism for the day and you want to keep refueling every 3 hours. When you go hungry your metabolism slows to go into a conservation mode. Back in our primitive hunting days this is what our bodies had to do to survive!

NO...these MYTHS have been totally debunked and are not even close to what actually happens in the body

I admit they do sound SORT of logical and many magazines still spout this nonsense, but they just aint true

IF eating frequently helps you achieve a caloric deficit for the day, that is ALL that is required to lose weight
  • epequeno12
    Options
    Wow Dave, you have some strong opinions there! Let's agree to disagree on this one and leave it at that ;o)
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I agree with some of the others. Your diet seems to be the problem. Too much processed foods and not enough fruit and veg. There is no magic number but I think saying 5 a day gives people something to aim for. You don't have to eat things you don't like but find something you do like and play around with it. Experiment with different ways of cooking or preparing it and enjoy it. Lots more protein; chicken, fish, lean cuts of meat, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt are all excellent sources. Protein will help repair your muscles and keeps you from feeling hungry so you can banish any cravings. Maybe try switching white potatoes for sweet potatoes. They are delicious and much better for you. And lots and lots of water!

As for the breakfast thing I think it's a personal choice. There's isn't really any particular benefits either way. It doesn't kickstart your metabolism as your metabolism is working all the time, even when you sleep. Some people just prefer to eat breakfast and some people don't. I personally don't. I don't like eating in the morning and find that I eat all day if I do. I also prefer working out on an empty stomach and then eating later. But that's just me. Some people feel they can't work out on an empty stomach but everyone is different. You need to find what works for you. There is no right or wrong here. Good luck!
  • nikilis
    Options

NO...these MYTHS have been totally debunked and are not even close to what actually happens in the body

I admit they do sound SORT of logical and many magazines still spout this nonsense, but they just aint true

IF eating frequently helps you achieve a caloric deficit for the day, that is ALL that is required to lose weight

not that I believe the post your commenting on apart from the fact that I think eating a good breakfast is a good way to start the day, but are you going to supply any evidence to support or debunk their claims or yours?

cause I'm more into hard facts than capital letters and id actually like to know one way or the other. so maybe dig out the article if you have it handy.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring and weighing your food? It's even more important than weighing yourself. :)

Also, it really is all about food. Exercise is good for you, makes you look fantastic, helps you maintain muscle, etc. But it doesn't help with weight loss.
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i had it at 2lbs then changed it to 1lb so my calories went from 1200 to 1400.
    i eat on average 1600 cals and then eat back my exercises cals - is that wrong???

It's not wrong. Someone mentioned though that MFP over estimates calories burned, and that it so true, so for your own peace of mind, maybe try to not eat back the calories burned and just stick to your 1600 calories a day.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the breakfast club. Though I just started my weight loss journey after having my first child and so far only have 7lbs to show for my lifestyle change, I do have many years of prior living experience with nutrition and exercise.

I took a peak at your food diary and you may want to read The Carb Cycle Solution by Chris Powell. I'm not saying to carb cycle, but the book definitely encourages fueling and nurturing your body as opposed to skimping out on calories and other important nutrients. It also has a great master grocery list of good for you food! Hope this helps!

Hey. I respect your opinion and if what you're doing is working for you then that's great. However, I'd just like to offer you this clip of a PT and ex bodybuilder telling you about Intermittent Fasting and how it works. Just an alternative opinion for you to maybe consider. I don't think there's any right or wrong in eating breakfast or not, just offering a different approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-n8xJXYHIg
  • nikilis
    Options
    Ok, so I agree with some of the others. Your diet seems to be the problem. Too much processed foods and not enough fruit and veg. There is no magic number but I think saying 5 a day gives people something to aim for. You don't have to eat things you don't like but find something you do like and play around with it. Experiment with different ways of cooking or preparing it and enjoy it. Lots more protein; chicken, fish, lean cuts of meat, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt are all excellent sources. Protein will help repair your muscles and keeps you from feeling hungry so you can banish any cravings. Maybe try switching white potatoes for sweet potatoes. They are delicious and much better for you. And lots and lots of water!

As for the breakfast thing I think it's a personal choice. There's isn't really any particular benefits either way. It doesn't kickstart your metabolism as your metabolism is working all the time, even when you sleep. Some people just prefer to eat breakfast and some people don't. I personally don't. I don't like eating in the morning and find that I eat all day if I do. I also prefer working out on an empty stomach and then eating later. But that's just me. Some people feel they can't work out on an empty stomach but everyone is different. You need to find what works for you. There is no right or wrong here. Good luck!

agreed.

strawberries are excellent as a fruit choice as they are quite low in sugar and cals so you can eat quite a few of them, carrots make a good snack, salads with alfalfa sprouts, green lettuce avocado, tomato and nuts will satisfy you much more than carbs, and you et 4 out of your 5 a fay + healthy fats. add some salmon, tuna or potatoes and you have a very heathy salad indeed for 250-450 cals depending on potatoes and fish.

snacking on nuts and dried fruit will make you less hungry and give you nutrients. chocolate just tastes nice but doesnt give you anything back. :)
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do you weight or use measuring cups/spoons for food? Do you use a HRM? If you're using the calories burned that MFP gives you, those could be too high.

I find if I don't weigh/measure my food I grossly underestimate what I'm eating.....

And if I don't use my HRM I find MFP grossly overestimates my calorie burn.....

Couple those two things together....disaster! Lol!

I agree completely! My Heart Rate Monitor and food scale has changed my perspective completely. The calories burned calculator doesn't account for our weight/body mass, which also makes a huge difference.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Wow Dave, you have some strong opinions there! Let's agree to disagree on this one and leave it at that ;o)
    [/quote

ya, I guess...but these myths just keep floating around here and it seems people would want to know the truth about what goes on with their body.

meal timing, including breakfast, is irrelevant to weight loss and certainly does not affect your metabolism through the day. Your metabolism never stops and will only change up or down after several days of under eating or over eating or with significant change in body weight or body composition (more muscle mass or less muscle mass)

see leangains.com or eatstopeat or Alan Aragon for the science

I am not promoting any type of meal plan one way or the other. There is nothing wrong with eating 2 meals a day or 10 meals a day as long as your total calories are in line.