Advice needed from all you weight-lifters

Options
I’ve just treated myself some proper weights. I’m no stranger to using weights but I’ve only done Body Max classes at the gym (which I have now stopped as the weights there only go up to 4.5kg!) and Jillian Michaels 30DS.

Really I’m after some sort of programme I can do at home 3 times a week but I’m unsure where to start, what sort of lifting to do and how long for. I was hoping someone here could help me with a nice, general, work-all-areas kind of plan?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts
    new rules of lifting for women
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

all of this. I'd reccommend rading NROL4W for sure.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

all of this. I'd reccommend rading NROL4W for sure.

seconded
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

Thirded, but I'm not a fan of how quickly the last one moves from the beginner phase into too much screwing around.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

Thirded, but I'm not a fan of how quickly the last one moves from the beginner phase into too much screwing around.

can you expand on that?
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

Agreed...The first 2 are very simple and straight forward. I would do those first.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Some great recommendations here, thanks for all your help.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

can you expand on that?

It moves away from basic lifts like squats into a lot of isolation work in a very short period of time.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Ah ok, I am still on level one so...
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

Fourth'd, and Fire Rock is right about the iso crap.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

can you expand on that?

It moves away from basic lifts like squats into a lot of isolation work in a very short period of time.

Yeah we did a program similar to stronglifts in HS for our football lifting. Basically did it for 5 years from 7-12 grade. There's no reason you HAVE to go to isolation stuff at any time really.

Just an example, as basically everybody on the football team would fall into at least intermediate on strength charts as seniors with most of us "advanced".
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

^^^^ this right here
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

Yup, I'm doing new rules now. Then I'll move on to stronglifts. I lift at home, and don't have enough plates at this point for stronglifts. Even now I'm not squatting as much as I could be because I need a rack. But squating 60 pounds is better than squatting no pounds. :smile:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Did anyone notice that the original poster was a woman? Why are you recommending all of these male-specific training programs? No woman could ever complete these programs. If they could, they would be she-beasts of epic proportions and I don't think she wants to end up like that. Stick to zumba or pilates, sweetie. You'll be much better off!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Did anyone notice that the original poster was a woman? Why are you recommending all of these male-specific training programs? No woman could ever complete these programs. If they could, they would be she-beasts of epic proportions and I don't think she wants to end up like that. Stick to zumba or pilates, sweetie. You'll be much better off!

Fu(king hell, man. Please tell me you're joking.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Yeah we did a program similar to stronglifts in HS for our football lifting. Basically did it for 5 years from 7-12 grade. There's no reason you HAVE to go to isolation stuff at any time really.

Just an example, as basically everybody on the football team would fall into at least intermediate on strength charts as seniors with most of us "advanced".

I was gonna say, is there ever a time to move away from compound lifts? I mean unless you're headed to a competition or something. But for dudes like me, and gals...naaaahh
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

zumba.jpg
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

zumba.jpg

Abs are made in kitchen :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts

Fourth'd, and Fire Rock is right about the iso crap.
    Iso is not crap.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I see what you did there. Good job!