My Mission in a nation of Children dying of Obesity

Options
My mission is to over turn the epidemic trends in obesity, type 2 diabetes, the alarming growing rate of disease riddled children, all diseases stemming from being too fat (or skinny and unhealthy), and prevention education all together. I'm an Independent Team Beachbody coach so I have the mechanism in place to do so.

For the first time in the history of our nation; babies being born today are expected to live a shorter life span than their parents because of what we are eating. The astonishing sense of empowerment that needs to be talked about on a national level is that by our choices we can reverse these devastating and fatal trends by our daily decisions. Our kids are more disease riddled than ever before, and dying, because of the daily bad choices parents are making.

In the past fifty years we went from paying more for our food and less on our health care costs to paying less on our food but more on our health care costs. We are spending the least amount of money, in percentages of our income, for our food than ever before in our history and more on health care costs than ever before in our history all while fueling a more disease riddled nation than ever before in our history. We are killing ourselves by what we eat. We are digging our graves with our teeth and bringing our children with us.

The moral driven philosophy here is simple but powerful. We are going to spend the money anyway so the choice is this...

Do we want to spend more on our food so we can feel better or do we want to spend more on our health care costs because we are not feeling better; stemming from buying cheap unhealthy food forcing us to spend unfordable rates on health care costs.

Tom

Replies

• BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    Options
    I agree!
    Both my kids are into organized sports, my daughter as been in ballet since 3 and just started Taekwondo (she's 4). My 6 yo son also does Taekwondo since last year.

The only videogame they're aloud to play is wii, and preferably the sports games, always standing up! Let me tell you that at that age get into it so much that they break a sweat!

I want my kids to see physical activities as a positive fun thing and not do the same mistakes i've done.

I also teach them how to eat right, they'll pick a fruit over cookie for dessert 9/20 time!

I think it's important that people realise how scary statistics are for the future of our kids!!
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I have yet to try the wii craze but I keep hearing good things about it. I'm all for making exercise fun and beneficial at the same time. No mundane jogs on the treadmill for me but if you like that sort of thing it's all good. The statistics are very scary but I don't use them to try and scare people, more so to try and wake people up and be a student of good ideas especially when it comes to what we put in our mouths and how we teach our children (or don't teach our children in many families).

I'm very happy to hear you're taking care of your kids! Lets hope it catches on with more families in our country
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Who else would like to weigh in? It's the most important issue of our day
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the great read. I'm canadian so I don't have healthcare cost but I do want my kids to live a long healthy life. I also don't want them to go through being teased at school because of weight. Thanks
  • metalpalace
    Options
    From what I hear from my friends who have been to canada, and over seas in europe... We are known overwhelmingly as the nation of fat dumb people.
  • BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    Options
    lol blameTV networks!!!!

The simpsons, Family guy, Clevland show, great exemples!!!!

I'M canadian too, but got a lot of friends in the US, Some are dumb, some are fat.....but it's about the same proportion as my Canadian friends!!
    ;)