cauliflower mashed potatoes?

Options
AshleyTaylor2017
AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
Does anyone have a good recipes. I'm not sure I am going to like them but thought I'd give it a try!

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The South Beach Diet has a good one... steam your cauliflower then while mashing add 1 triangle of Laughing Cow Cheese... They are really good!
  • mswing7674
    Options
    Let me first say... I HAVE NEVER LIKED CAULIFLOWER... and will not eat it plain as a side dish.... now that being said... we use 1/2 potatos and 1/2 cauliflower and for flavor we use butter sprinkles (like popcorn flavoring) and lowfat sour cream or plain greek yogurt and they are amazing... you can barely taste the difference... well not enough that it would make you want to not eat them....you def need to try it once.... I haven't tried just plain mashed cauliflower instead of potatos but the 1/2 and 1/2 makes it
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,076 Member
    Options
    they're yummy. Just cook fresh cauliflower, (steam it) then mash it with lowfat milk / cheese / powdered ranch / salt & pepper - or anything you would normally use with potatoes.

If you use unsalted chicken or vegetable broth, even better, because you won't need butter or as much cheese for flavor. Experiment! You will like them!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,076 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I have subbed plain yogurt for sour cream for so long, that I just thought everyone did that LOL. Plain yogurt is the best instead of SC!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Try a little light cream cheese instead of sour cream or yogurt. Yum!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    hey cmriverside.....the ranch powder is a great idea..

i steam caulif and then put fat free milk and actually Smart Balance pour butter......i also put 2 tablespoons of Instant potato flakes..

thanks for the ranch idea

Bill
  • HulaCherry
    Options
    Okay, this is my favorite cauliflower recipe. It is the tastiest side dish - and it's totally satisfying for 164 calories a serving.

Cauliflower Gratin:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1853962
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I've actually never been a fan of regular mashed potatoes, but I love califlower! I'm going to have to try some of these recipes!
  • cares001
    cares001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i love cauliflower mash. It's a good way of thinking you are eating mash potatoes. although i warn you, when you mash it it's bit more runny than regular mash potatoes. I would suggested using a cheesecloth to drain out the extra water so the consistency is thicker. I winged it making my first cauliflower mash and it turned out pretty good.

get a head of cauliflower, break it apart (makes it faster for it to get soft)
    boil water (enough water to pour the cauliflower in)
    wait until it boils (add the cauliflower)
    when cauliflower is soft about (5-8mins), strain out the water
    mash the cauliflower
    then strain the excess water if you like

for flavoring..i used low sodium salt, pepper, a lil bit of garlic powder and then i put 1tsp of minced garlic (store bought minced garlic)

This is what I did. Hopefully this works out for you too.
  • ccounts
    ccounts Posts: 57
    Options
    i love cauliflower mash. It's a good way of thinking you are eating mash potatoes. although i warn you, when you mash it it's bit more runny than regular mash potatoes. I would suggested using a cheesecloth to drain out the extra water so the consistency is thicker. I winged it making my first cauliflower mash and it turned out pretty good.

mash the cauliflower

for flavoring..i used low sodium salt, pepper, a lil bit of garlic powder and then i put 1tsp of minced garlic (store bought minced garlic)

Try microwave steaming the cauliflower instead of boiling it. Just rinse broken apart cauliflower in a strainer, shake off the excess water, and then steam in the microwave in a covered dish. That eliminates the excess water and keeps all the vitamins in. Try mixing a little lowfat cottage cheese in it along with the pepper, garlic, and low sodium salt, and you've got something wonderful.

Here's another tip: cauliflower and roasted red pepper soup. I will look for the recipe. I had never in my life liked cauliflower until I tried this and it is very easy to make and will wow everyone. It also looks really pretty!
  • AllMe
    AllMe Posts: 2
    Options
    This is one of my favorite dishes! I usually steam the cauliflower until tender and then use fat free chicken broth to mash. Then, I use different variations to fit whatever main dish I'm serving. For instance, I'll do a garlic mash by adding garlic salt or a small clove of roasted garlic. I've tried it with onion salt, grated parmesan, and even shredded cheddar. I often top with non-fat sour cream and chives. LOVE IT!

Hey, cmriverside, I think I'm going to have to try the powder ranch idea. Sounds great! Thanks for sharing that.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    If you want to get it really creamy and smooth go for the food processor...it gets rid of almost all of those little "grains" and even mimics the texture of mashed potatoes. I always go for a little but of REAL butter for the flavor. Sometimes I'll mix in turnips as well.
  • cares001
    cares001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

mash the cauliflower

Try microwave steaming the cauliflower instead of boiling it. Just rinse broken apart cauliflower in a strainer, shake off the excess water, and then steam in the microwave in a covered dish. That eliminates the excess water and keeps all the vitamins in. Try mixing a little lowfat cottage cheese in it along with the pepper, garlic, and low sodium salt, and you've got something wonderful.

Here's another tip: cauliflower and roasted red pepper soup. I will look for the recipe. I had never in my life liked cauliflower until I tried this and it is very easy to make and will wow everyone. It also looks really pretty!

thanks for the tip about the microwave!!! I will try that next time!!!! OOHH cauliflower and roasted red pepper soup sounds very tasty. yum!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    MIRACLE MASHIES(from the hungry girl cookbook)

1 large potato(about 13 ounces)
    3 cups cauliflower florets
    3 Tbsp fat free half & half
    1 Tbsp light whipped butter or light buttery spread
    1/4 tsp salt
    Additional: salt, pepper, to taste
    Optional: 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic

Bring a large pot of water to boil, While waiting for the water to boil, peel and cube potato. Once water is boiling, add peeled potato cubes and cauliflower florets. Allow water to return to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until potoatoes and cauliflower are very tender.
    Remove pot from heat and carefully drain water. Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl. Add half & half, butter and salt. Add the crushed garlic. if you like .
    Mash with potato masher until completely blended. Season to taste with pepper and additional salt. ENJOY!

Makes 5 servings
    Per serving(about 2/3 cup) 82 calories, 1g fat, 168mg sodium, 16g carbs, 3g fiber, 2g sugars , 3g protein