sorry need to vent

Options

Replies

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    This is a strange situation.. You sound like you're a prisoner and I don't think this situation is healthy. In most households, the children are taught by their parents how to be adults, then encouraged to grow up and, eventually (hopefully by 18 or 20) leave the house and start making their own decisions and being responsible for their own life, as independents.

It sounds to me like your parents haven't given you the tools you need to grow up and are preventing you from living a normal life. If you truly want to move out and be on your own, I would think there are resources out there that would help you. I don't know what they are, but you have internet access, so hop on google and start searching.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If you live at home then you have to abide by their rules (except the dating thing that is crazy) Don't say they won't let me move out how are they stopping that if you have the money just do it there is nothing they can do to stop it. If you need them to cosign on an apartment that is a problem. If they say we will not pay for your schooling if you move out then that is a choice you have to make.
    My parents didn't want me to move out I did it anyway .... When I lived with them I stayed over at friends so I didn't have to come home at 2 (this is only because my dad gets up for work early and did not want to get woken up)
    You are 22 not 17 do what you want.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    whew stream of consciousness is hard to read!

agreeing with everyone else. move out! or get a job (save up funds) then move out.

it feels great to be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want (even if it's just the laundry hah)

=) good luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you're 22
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    why are you still living with your parents at 22? If you don't like their rules then move out. Sounds like your parents are either 1) helicopter parents 2) you've shown little independence or 3) some combination of the two.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You sound like a child and may therefore be being treated like one.
  • madworld1
    Options
    This is a strange situation.. You sound like you're a prisoner and I don't think this situation is healthy. In most households, the children are taught by their parents how to be adults, then encouraged to grow up and, eventually (hopefully by 18 or 20) leave the house and start making their own decisions and being responsible for their own life, as independents.

It sounds to me like your parents haven't given you the tools you need to grow up and are preventing you from living a normal life. If you truly want to move out and be on your own, I would think there are resources out there that would help you. I don't know what they are, but you have internet access, so hop on google and start searching.

Completely agree. This doesn't sound like a healthy situation at all. I suggest getting a job, saving up, and moving out. Most of all... believe in yourself. You can survive on your own, you just need to have the motivation. Good luck to you. :)
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    why do you need your parents to take you to get a learners permit?
    Is there public transportation where you live? Do you have any friends that can take you? Can you go get a job somewhere within walking distance?

It sounds like your parents should be giving you more freedom but it also doesn't sound like you are as responsible as you think you might be. I'm sure you're a good person, but at your age, you don't need to rely on mom and dad to get things done, even if you rely on them for shelter.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be a bit emotionally stunted. Whether that comes from your environment or genetically, I don't know. Right now I suggest baby steps towards becoming more independent. Starting with getting your driver's license and looking for a job so you can save up to move out. Good luck.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

Srsly
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Good luck....
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Srsly

^^^^^THIS
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Everyone here makes it sound so easy. .

If you have no job. .and no money. . and few friends. . and no credit.. and no tools. . and you've been living under the authority of extremely controlling parents . .then how exactly do you just "move out" .. and "grow up" .? It can be done. . and I think in this situation that the OP really needs to get out of there. but It's not so easy as everyone here seems to think.

The OP should seek some professional help, starting with DCF and/or family counselling or a hot line. . Start there and they should be able to direct you to agencies and/or charities that can help you.
  • CindyMarie_
    CindyMarie_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but this is your fault as well. If you don't stand up to you "overprotecting" parents you can't complain about them. You're 22, you're an ADULT. You are old enough to drink, drive, live alone, vote, party, do WHATEVER you want and they can't say anything.

I'm 21 and I go out whenever I want, I always let my parents know where I'm going and with who though (out of respect), if I want to go on vacation, I ask for vacation days at work, I buy my ticket, plan my trip and let my parents know. I don't say "hey mom can I have permission to go on vacation next month?" Ummm.. NO, I make my own decisions. I went to school, graduated, and I work. I support them, I am honest with them, I talk to them, I am a good daughter but never would I let them take control of my life (not that they try either, they respect me and my decisions).

My point is, you need to take stand, otherwise, it isn't going to stop.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

If you have no job. .and no money. . and few friends. . and no credit.. and no tools. . and you've been living under the authority of extremely controlling parents . .then how exactly do you just "move out" .. and "grow up" .? It can be done. . and I think in this situation that the OP really needs to get out of there. but It's not so easy as everyone here seems to think.

Just because it's not easy doesn't mean it's not a valid suggestion.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you live with your parents, your parents house, your parents rules. Don't like it, move out.

I lived with my parents until I was almost 25. You bet your butt I was home before midnight on a "school night" and 2am on a weekend night. It's their house. They're generous enough to let me live there after I should've been long gone. And clean my clothes, feed me, cook for me, give me garage space for my car etc.
    they want let me move that's the point

Not their decision. You can get a job and move out.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Do you have a job? if not get one. You are able to get to wrestling training, so why can't you get to get your drivers license?
  • want2belean
    want2belean Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There is no easy way out of this but to leave. Find a friend, friends parents or relative that will give you a start. Get your DL, Job and start living like an adult. I have an 18 year old son that has more privledges than you and he is still a senior in HS. Your parents are dragging you down, only you and them know why. You will be there with no job, no car and no life for a long time until you do something. NOW before you wake up 40 years old and think WTF happen to my life.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

The OP should seek some professional help, starting with DCF and/or family counselling or a hot line. . Start there and they should be able to direct you to agencies and/or charities that can help you.

:flowerforyou:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

It's not easy for anybody to move out and get their life started. I got a cheap apartment with my boyfriend and we split bills, I did telemarketing initially (they'll hire anybody) and used that to progress into quality control with a different company which then led me into a management position. I saved money and bought my first car for $800 cash. Second car I saved more and bought it for $6k cash. Save money, be smart, be determined. It's not easy but she is clearly just blaming her parents instead of trying. I'm younger than her.