Thinking of joining a gym..what is the best one to join?

Options
I am thinking about joining a gym. Was wondering which one is the best one to join? I don't wanna spend alot of money on monthly fees! The local Y is near $50 a month and too much for me. We have a place call Fit Club but again it is over $50 a month to join and most of the classes I would take are during the day when I work so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of those.
We have some chain gyms also. Anytime Fitness, Golds Gym, Snap Fitness and a Planet Fitness is opening soon here too. Planet Fitness has a deal right now where you can join for $10 a month and a $15 membership fee. This is the best deal so far I have found. It is open 24/7 which I would like.
Any one have experience with Planet Fitness? Good or Bad? I have never joined a gym but have talked to my bariatric physical therapist and she went over with me what machines I should do when I go to help with toning since I have lost so much weight.
Currently I use dvds at home to exercise with. I walk 2 miles a day with Leslie Sansone walking tape in 30 minutes twice a day. I also use a stability ball and do some workouts with it with a dvd and have a couple other dvds I use from time to time. I have bad knees so I have to be careful what I can do. I tried the Zumba dvds and it messed my bad knee up the last time I did it so I don't do Zumba anymore.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Gold's was my favorite gym, by far, hands down, not even close and after my insurance it was like $15 a month.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is fine so long as you won't be going the same time as everyone else. Ours was packed at 7 am, no available treadmills or anything, but by ten am it's a ghost town. Because it's cheap, they often have thousands of members at one location, though they're banking on most of those not coming in. If your flexible with when you can go, then they can be a good deal.

It'll be crazy there the first few months that its open and then be back to normal. They pretty much have all the standard equipment. Usually they let you tour it before signing up, so check and make sure what you need is there.