Muscles

Any tips on how to sooth muscle pain from exercises ? I haven't exercise in a while either so my shins are killing me -.-

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Lots of water, stretching and massage. A hot bath too.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Any tips on how to sooth muscle pain from exercises ? I haven't exercise in a while either so my shins are killing me -.-

epsom salt in a warm bath.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hot bath with Epsom Salts.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Shins? stretch, ice, massage, new shoes.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    I find the best way is to warm up your body again w/ some light cardio. Jogging a bit always makes me feel loose
  • Angeliquecasique
    Angeliquecasique Posts: 26 Member
    thanks ! the shoes are great, I just figured it's from pushing myself to hard and also applying to much pressure to fast with jogging ahahah -.-
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    salt baths?

either hot dry sauna or eat more protein or both
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    I run a LOT - shin pain is common. If it's super bad, take an NSAID like Advil, and ice them. Make sure you stretch them, best way is to stand up, and place the tops of your toes flat down in front of you and lean into that leg. Foot will be curved and toes sort of pointed behind you (think of a ballet toe shoe). Stretch as much as is comfortable. Make sure you don't curve at the heel (called sickling your foot).

To strengthen shins, when seated, lift both legs in the air, and use your feet to form the letters of the alphabet. That flexes and contracts the muscle and build strength. Don't do this while sore though!

I hope this helps :)
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member

^^^ true enough!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Go to a high end athletic shoe store (not a chain) and have them evaluate your feet and recommend a shoe for you.

Slow down and work into an increased pace.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member

^^^ true enough!

^^^ Yep. Also try walking it out if you can. Got to get the blood flowing to the area to wash all the acid out.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    thanks ! the shoes are great, I just figured it's from pushing myself to hard and also applying to much pressure to fast with jogging ahahah -.-

You appear to know more than the people you're asking.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • Angeliquecasique
    Thanks :) great advice, and no if I did know I would not have asked :)
  • Dunkelheit666

What you have is called shin splints...google it.
  • Angeliquecasique
    yes I know that already ahaha
  • Dunkelheit666
    they go away in time. I had them when i first started too. esp jumping rope
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Here is a good topic on shin splints
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints?hl=Help+with+your+shin+splints

Just a note - someone suggested above to use NSAIDS, just don't take Before running. Ibuprofen was my savior when I had them.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Not an expert by any means, but I have been told both chiropractors and physical therapists that you want to AVOID heat for shin splints and apply ice instead. You should Google it to be sure, since ice seems to be the opposite of what most everyone else is saying here :-).
  • Dunkelheit666
    but you do need to rest and heal
  • Angeliquecasique
    yeah, I came to the conclusion to not jog for a while and do lighter impact activities such as rollerblading and cycling =) great advice everyone !!