Body media fit worn on leg?

Options
So I have just purchased a BMF and it does not appear to be tracking my steps accurately because I have a treadmill desk and my hands are at the computer a lot. My fitbit is picking up double the steps that the BMF is. Does anyone know if you can wear the device on your calf or something to track it accurately or does it not really matter? I know what distance I cover due to my treadmills reading so I am just curious on getting an accurate read of my activity more than number of steps.

Anyone here wear it elsewhere on your body than your arm?

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing (sort of) when I first started wearing mine. I had the same issue when mowing with a push mower. Certainly burning tons of calories, but almost none recorded on the BMF, then I realized it was because my hands were stationary. I put it on my left leg right below my knee and it seemed to read accurately by doing that... :-)
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing (sort of) when I first started wearing mine. I had the same issue when mowing with a push mower. Certainly burning tons of calories, but almost none recorded on the BMF, then I realized it was because my hands were stationary. I put it on my left leg right below my knee and it seemed to read accurately by doing that... :-)

Thanks! Do you still wear it there?
  • rachmass1
    Options
    It doesn't register as on my body when I move it to my leg. Where do you put it? I put it on my calf as my thigh is too large for the strap that comes with it (sigh).
  • If you ask BodyMedia they will tell you not to wear it on your leg. The algorithms they use are calibrated for the armband being worn on your upper left arm. If you want a proper answer I recommend you ask BodyMedia customer service :)
  • rachmass1
    Options
    I am experimenting between leg and arm. When worn on my leg it tracks similar steps as the Fitbit but less than a quarter if worn on my arm. I am guessing it is overcounting on my TDEE when worn on the leg and under on the arm. Giving it a few weeks of each.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that is is designed specifically to be worn on the back of the left arm, and the "bodymedia" logo should be closest to your shoulder. I was concerned about that, since I'm left-handed, but it seems to be really accurate to me.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a bodybugg (same thing, just the 24 hour fitness brand) and customer service has said that they would never recommend wearing it on your leg as it can confuse the device. My issue was with riding my bike, it gave me a 500 cal burn for a 2 hour bike ride, they told me I'm better off taking it off for that period and manually entering burned cals. So for me now I wear a HRM wrist watch while I bike and input calories manually into my body bugg for that period. I don't know how BMF works but BB gives you a list of exercises and then you can select intensity (with HR listed) and then time and it gives you the calories burned.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    I have moved it back to my arm. It is logging a few more steps but pretty light. I have done about 24,000 today according to my Fitbit and 18,000 according to the BMF. The treadmill says just a hair under seven miles. At least BMF gives me a higher TDEE rating so far. It might change as it gets used to me
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Bump...I just ordered one and it should be coming this week. Interested in the replies.
  • dawnnhelene
    dawnnhelene Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wear it on my leg a lot, I switch on and off and the readings seem to be the same.
  • txflea
    txflea Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a large upper arm with a lovely fat roll.. (I know it didn't get there overnight, and my eating and lack of activity put it there) But anyways I ordered the BMF and was wearing it on my upper arm right where the ''roll'' is, and it was super uncomfortable. I have read all over the web, and I have found 2 different answers.

One person while riding their bike puts it on their left leg, on their calf and has had great results. But they only wear it there when they are bike riding.
    Another person has a similar problem that I have with the larger arm rolls and she wears it closer to her elbow. I have moved it there today, and I'm going to see if it does any better comfort wise and see what it does tracking wise.

I'm just having issues with it and MFP. On here it seems to give me way more calories and food intake, where on the program itself it gives me less... so it's very confusing to read.
  • txflea
    txflea Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just an update, I fiddled with it and started wearing it on my left calf by my knee. I pretty much keep it there and I get better results with it no there than on my arm.