Weird Plateau

Options
Hi All,

Just wanted to advice. I have been doing If for about 3/4 months and in that time I have lost about 28 pounds. I am doing for the most part 16- 19 hour fasts. I love it and will prob try bulk with if too if I ever get to my bf goal lol. Basically, for the last 3 week I have been stuck and just can not seem to drop any more weight. My measurement have stayed more or less the same , possibly lost half inch on waist but I don't really count halts. My body fat has been going down by about 0.3 a week in this time. Actually just got under 17 % last week.

My question is should I be worried that I am doing something wrong or am I obsessing too much?

My goals is to try get to 10-12% bf and then start to build the physique I want. I am 5'8 and weigh 171 pounds at the moment. On a side note I was at doctor other day and he said I should aim for 140 pounds according to my bmi!!!! Does this sound right cos I think I would look like a skeleton at that weight.

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Well temptress if you hit a plateau, maybe you need to relook at what you are doing exercise wise - or more importantly are you doing IF when you fast? Or are you just not eating and still eating less?
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well temptress if you hit a plateau, maybe you need to relook at what you are doing exercise wise - or more importantly are you doing IF when you fast? Or are you just not eating and still eating less?

I am eating in a deficit everyday at what mfp says as well following if.

I go to the gym 4 times a week as follows:

30 mins cardio - I do HIIT if fast already broken and steady cardio if fasted.
    Day 1 is Back
    Day 2 is Shoulders
    Day 3 is Chest
    Day 4 is Arms and Legs
  • GoatBoat66
    Options
    It sounds like what you are doing is working, having lost 30 lbs in 3-4 months. If you are under 17% bodyfat at 171 lbs, then it would be impossible for you to get down to 140 (retaining lbm). Because 17% of 171 is like 30.
  • tempest501
    Options
    It sounds like what you are doing is working, having lost 30 lbs in 3-4 months. If you are under 17% bodyfat at 171 lbs, then it would be impossible for you to get down to 140 (retaining lbm). Because 17% of 171 is like 30.

Ye , I kinda decided to ignore what he said to be honest , I was just shocked he suggested it. Just want to lose that last bit or get to 10-12% so I can start my first ever bulk. Did my calipers reading several times when I do it and its def dropping there but for some reason my mind keeps panicking because I stopped losing weight.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" also at 145 lbs and am around 14% BF.
  • tempest501
    Options
    I'm 5'8" also at 145 lbs and am around 14% BF.

Hey, if you don't mind me asking what is your build?

I am from a family of very broad lads with big shoulders just trying to gauge it because I am really sceptical that I need to lose another 30 pounds.
  • tempest501
    Options
    Bump
  • tempest501
    Options
    Bump
  • tempest501
    Options
    HIt the wall again arghhhhhh

Well I am at my wits end still. Still not losing , I dropped 1 pound last week and have regain it. I just don't know what to do. Eat maintence and did not put on any weight so went back to diet calories and still no results it's been a while now. My measurements changed slight showing a loss of half an inch on waist and down to 16% on my digital body calipers ( I know I may be doing slight wrg as seems too low for the weight I am but it's relative I guess as always use same equipment).

I am finding it so hard to keep motivated now because to me I look same in pics now as I did 3 months ago . Maybe I will post so you guys can see what you think (will try do it at weekend and add to post). Just want to get to that damn 10-12 % so I can start building some muscle so I can see some change. I am starting to wonder if I should just start to hopefully build up muscle to help burn more fat.

Any more ideas? Really is driving me crazy.

Edit: to top it off used bf measurement on some scales and says 20 %....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You stated you are following the recommendation MFP made based on your selections of activity level and weight loss goal.

Closer to goal now, what is your goal loss amount?
    Notice 1 lb weekly is recommended, for a good reason.

You notice that when you log your exercise, you are given extra to eat to maintain that same hopefully wise deficit.
    Are you doing that?
  • heybales
    Options
    I am finding it so hard to keep motivated now because to me I look same in pics now as I did 3 months ago . Maybe I will post so you guys can see what you think (will try do it at weekend and add to post). Just want to get to that damn 10-12 % so I can start building some muscle so I can see some change. I am starting to wonder if I should just start to hopefully build up muscle to help burn more fat.

You should be doing serious lifting right now just to retain muscle, but indeed you can increase LBM (even if not muscle exactly) even while you lose fat.

And increased LBM means increased RMR, which will help burn fat.

These guys lost no weight (since they didn't change diet no surprise there), but gained LBM the same amount they lost fat. And metabolism went up.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/778012-potential-muscle-gain-lifting-and-metabolism-improvement
  • tempest501
    Options
    You stated you are following the recommendation MFP made based on your selections of activity level and weight loss goal.

Closer to goal now, what is your goal loss amount?
    Notice 1 lb weekly is recommended, for a good reason.

You notice that when you log your exercise, you are given extra to eat to maintain that same hopefully wise deficit.
    Are you doing that?

Thanks for reply, I am logging my excercise and I eat back those cals. I am lifting as heavy as I can always make sure i have a good workout.

I am wondering because I am getting so frustrated whether to increase cals and try build some more muscle and burn fat at same time cos bored of not seeing a diffrence. I mean I can see slight changes in measurements and on calipers but my pics from like 2 months ago seem same as now lol
  • tempest501
    Options

You should be doing serious lifting right now just to retain muscle, but indeed you can increase LBM (even if not muscle exactly) even while you lose fat.

And increased LBM means increased RMR, which will help burn fat.

These guys lost no weight (since they didn't change diet no surprise there), but gained LBM the same amount they lost fat. And metabolism went up.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/778012-potential-muscle-gain-lifting-and-metabolism-improvement

Intresting post so from this study it might be worth me working out my TDEE on scubby with excercise and eating maintenance to try build muscle and lose fat at same time?
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your profile says that you have reached your goal.... so what is the problem? :wink:
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for reply, I am logging my excercise and I eat back those cals. I am lifting as heavy as I can always make sure i have a good workout.

I am wondering because I am getting so frustrated whether to increase cals and try build some more muscle and burn fat at same time cos bored of not seeing a diffrence. I mean I can see slight changes in measurements and on calipers but my pics from like 2 months ago seem same as now lol

Oh, just as it gets harder the closer to goal weight you are, it will appear slower too since less volume to lose, and more likely from all over instead of bigger spots first.

Here's another study where they did lose weight and gain LBM in a deficit, and already athletic.
    Your results may vary since already doing heavy lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447514-athletes-can-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat-on-deficit-diet
  • heybales
    Options
    Intresting post so from this study it might be worth me working out my TDEE on scubby with excercise and eating maintenance to try build muscle and lose fat at same time?

If your main focus is lifting with little easy to no heavy cardio, you might benefit from a cycling calorie routine. More on lifting days to support potential growth, less on rest days to support fat and weight loss.

Spreadsheet in this full description topic. After using the Simple Setup tab with your stats, go to the TDEE Deficit tab, bottom section on deficits, erase the TDEE value in yellow box, and look at the Calorie Cycling method setup.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • tempest501
    Options

If your main focus is lifting with little easy to no heavy cardio, you might benefit from a cycling calorie routine. More on lifting days to support potential growth, less on rest days to support fat and weight loss.

Spreadsheet in this full description topic. After using the Simple Setup tab with your stats, go to the TDEE Deficit tab, bottom section on deficits, erase the TDEE value in yellow box, and look at the Calorie Cycling method setup.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Really appreciate all the advice i am going to take a good look.

And to the guy who asked about my goal it seems i need to change it.