Weight lifting - 3 sets or 12 sets?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon for body builders to do 30+ sets per muscle group. Not my cup of tea, but it's very common.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    12 sets? Jeezus. How do you spell OVERKILL? Squats can take me 20 minutes to do 5 working sets, warm up sets, and a burnout set, but I cannot imagine doing 12 sets of anything. Maybe 12x1 deadlifts, including warmups. Don't follow whatever those bro's are doing- it's called f*ckarounditis.

Try it out, you might find you like it =). 3x5 and then 5x20 right after is a real killer.

I have no problem with high volume....but 12 sets? C'mon. My workout would take 6 hours!

It's why most people shouldn't do it (at least not for everything), they don't have the time. Only point I was making was that it's not always just someone being dumb (if all they're doing is bench and curls, it almost certainly is), but it can be useful.

I was talking with Paul Carter about it: basically take less time between sets. I'm going to try to limit my rest between sets to 30 seconds or so. I know it won't allow for maximal exertion, but his argument was to get in better condition. I can't really argue that logic until I at least give it a shot. Doing that, I could get 10-12 sets on one or two main movements, and 3-5 high rep sets on two accessory movements, and still keep my workout to 60-90 minutes.