Anyone know what is best Body Media vs Fit Bit

Options
2»

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have to pay for Body Media.

I had the FitBit, then bought the Body Media, and decided to go back to the FitBit, especially since it integrates with this site. I ended up with an indention in my left bicep from wearing the band while strength training, which irritated me. So I wore both the FitBit and the Body Media together for two or three days. By the end of the day, they were both within a few hundred calories of each other, so I just decided to stick with the FitBit. Especially since it's easier to hide.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is so stinkin' helpful!!!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my blog, I just posted yesterday's results for my body media... as I started using it again after a year (I bought it last year and used it for about 3 months)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/crazyellybean

Now I also own a Garmin FR60 (which can be synced with Body Media) and I love that thing!! Mine has a footpod for distance and also has wireless sync. I can wear it well swimming, or whatever. The body media is useful for information, but the FR60 was well worth the purchase

Where do you buy the body media?

I bought mine off Ebay ... for about 1/3rd of the price
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    Don't you have to pay for an account to use the Body Media?

yes you pay $6.99 per month for the "Activity Manager" .. however you get your first 3 months free.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 for my workout and wear a Fitbit to track day to day activity. I wouldn't even consider the Body Media because I don't want an ugly thing strapped to my arm all day. The Fitbit I wear on my bra and no one knows it's there.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just got a Body Media because I read reviews, after using it for a full day it is pretty accurate, even with my sleep!
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have had both, and supposedly the BodyMedia is more accurate. I don't pay enough attention honestly.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into this and love all the chatter here. :)

Did someone mention there is a way around the monthly fee for the Body Media? I don't wanna do anything illegal but if I could get away with not paying for the monthly service why not. :)
  • Heart Rate Monitors are the best way to ACCURATELY know what calories you're burning. The most accurate HRMs are the ones with chest straps. Polar are considered to be a very good brand. AFAIK, the FT4 is the cheapest one with a chest strap and calorie counts, though I could be wrong. It is also fully waterproof so can be worn swimming.

A Fitbit (Zip, Ultra or One) is great for easy, automatic step/calorie counting but not suitable for cycling, swimming, anything with tiny movements such as pilates, or anything that is more strenuous than the movement would suggest such as weight lifting. You need a HRM for tracking those things. You can use a fitbit for everyday stuff (automatic tracking and syncing with MFP) and manually add individual exercises from your HRM readings into MFP which will then update that time period in your Fitbit account so that it's definitely accurate and so that you don't get credited twice.

A Heart Rate Monitor isn't suitable for 24/7 use like the Fitbit. A Fitbit has limitations that the Heart Rate Monitor doesn't. For the best of both worlds, many people (including me) have both.

HRM are certainly not the best way to ACCURATELY know what calories you're burning - that is nonsense. You only have to look at the clinical studies that measure calorie expenditure, most use BodyMedia, none use Heart Rate. Heart Rate Monitors are good for one thing and one thing only - MEASURING HEART RATE!
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It seems the Body Media Fit can integrate you HRM readings (provided you use a Garmin HRM) by doing what MFP is currently doing with BodyMedia... their website will access your linked Garmin account and incorporate your readings into your Body Media charts to geve one more point of reference which SHOULD incerase the accuracy all the more.
  • brits111383
    Options
    I got a good tip for buying a Bodymedia Fit: I paid slightly more than the Costco price due to my lack of membership (5%?) and got twelve months of free membership. It's worth checking out because three months free membership isn't that much.

http://www.costco.com/BodyMedia-FIT™-LINK-Armband.product.11680103.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=bodymedia&langId=-1&storeId=10301
  • cznutz
    cznutz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit and I love it. If you are serious about tracking your calories and exercise effectiveness, it's well worth the cost.
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    the fit bit is a glorified pedometer... it tracks steps... so if your doing the elliptical or cycling it's not going to be accurate to what you really have burned... the body media goes off the temperature of your skin amoungst other things..
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I recently received a Body Bugg (Body Media product). I love wearing it when I work out! I just feel like it can calculate my burn so much better than MFP.
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    I'm looking into this and love all the chatter here. :)

Did someone mention there is a way around the monthly fee for the Body Media? I don't wanna do anything illegal but if I could get away with not paying for the monthly service why not. :)

tehcnically yes... if you have more than one email account.. you could use the 3 month free trial membership, cancel, and then sign up again under another email ( a whole new account) and get anotehr 3 months free... However, the monthly fee is only $6.99 per month and well worth the data you receive
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I just got my Bodymedia last week, but for what it's worth I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! :love:

The first couple of days, I thought for sure the numbers it was spitting out were really high. However, I've been plateaued for a while, so I bumped up my calories (by about 300 a day!) to match what BMF was telling me I'm burning, less a 500 calorie deficit. The scale is moving. It's awesome seeing how much I burn.

I got the BMF instead of Fitbit or an HRM because I lift weights and do non-aerobic exercises like canoeing that don't use "steps". The BMF is more accurate for those - >90% with daily activities and >95% with intentional exercise.

The MFP/BMF integration is flawless.
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A question I have not seen addressed: I know most HRMs can be used in the water for laps etc while the FitBit not so much (won't register it anyway) but what is the word on the BodyMedia products? I can't remember if the contestants on The Biggest Loser wore theirs in the pool or not...
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Body Media is going to give more readings, it takes into account much more than just movement. It is, however, NOT waterproof.
    http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/Compare