Protein

Options
It's not the calories I'm struggling with, or the fat (I'm usually at or under) ... it's the protein, of all things. It seems like I blow past the number every day. I eat only lean meats (chicken, turkey or fish), keep my saturated fat to an absolute minimum (under 10), and limit my dairy intake (for health reasons).

Anyone else finding this problem? Any tips?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Totally ok to do! You are getting it from good sources so your good :smile: Calories is the most important...

~Leash :heart:
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Their protein on here is not high enough.... I am usually around a 100 for protein.... Lean protein builds muscles!! :)
    You are okay to have too much proyein or too much fibre....good too stay under on carbs, fat, sugar & salt....
  • ers1012
    Options
    The default setting on protein is pretty low. I have my percentages set for 40% protein/30% carbs/30% fat. It seems to work for me. If I'm going to OD on something, I'd rather it be protein. Don't worry about it.
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    more protein is good!!! it's also good to go over on fiber, i think they estimate way too low....
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The default setting on protein is pretty low. I have my percentages set for 40% protein/30% carbs/30% fat. It seems to work for me. If I'm going to OD on something, I'd rather it be protein. Don't worry about it.

Close to my settings

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fat

It's not easy getting that much protein, especially when my caloric intake is so high!
  • r1chy
    r1chy Posts: 48
    Options
    I have a problem keeping my sugars down....mine are aroung 100 each day with a reccomended of 38.

are sugars a problem if you are staying under your calories?
  • ekgstr
    ekgstr Posts: 21
    Options
    You are supposed to eat:

Less than 30% of your calories from fat
    15-20% of calories from protein
    55-60% of your calories from carbs

On a 1200 calore diet

1200x.15= 180 calories
    there are 4 calories per gram of protein
    180/4= 45 grams of protein

thats where they get the number from
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    All of this discussion that high levels of protein are ok is due to marketing from companies that sell protein bars and shakes. You don't need more than 20% of your calories from protein. You should get closer to 60% or more from carbs.

Carbs have got a bad reputation for some reason I don't understand - probably because people think carbs = energy = fat. Two sources I'd recommend for good nutritional advice are the Australian Institute of Sport: www.aussport.gov.au/ais
    and Spark People.

If you want to cut down on protein the easiest way is to reduce your meat intake. It sounds like you're eating far too much meat, which can lead to lots of problems including cancer.