Help me with baked fish please

Options
maggiemay22467
maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
I want to bake some fish but I have never done this before. Help with what to put on it, how long in the oven,What temp, and frozen or thaw it out first.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Thaw it, bake 350 until it flakes with pierced with a fork (15 minutes or so).

Basic seasoning would be salt, pepper, lemon juice + whatever else you like. A little butter tastes good too.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    For salmon I mix up some olive oil, dill, and dijon mustard and brush a layer on the fish (thawed) and then depending on thickeness put it in the over around 350 for 10-14 minutes. Overdone fish is gross so be careful not to overcook. you can test it with a fork - it should flake fairly easily and not look transluscent anymore.

I hope that helps.

With other fish I just google recipes for it to get instructions on cooking time and temp and then use whatever i have kicking around int he kitchen that I think would taste good as a sauce/marinade.
  • 4Sammi
    Options
    Old Bay goes well on any seafood. Adds a little punch especially with some lemon juice.

Dill works well as well
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just want to add-- If you are worried about overcooking the fish, make a sealed wrap with foil. Put fish in with seasonings and bake. The juice gets sealed in so you are less likely to overcook.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Thin fish filets like Tilapia and trout cook rather quickly. Start checking at 10-15 min

350 is a good place to start. Temp wise for just about any recipe. And bake until starts to flake/separate easily when pierced.

Lemon Pepper is an easy favorite seasoning (most salt free Mrs Dash herb blends are very nice too) as is Old Bay.

The following is my favorite over Mahi Mahi or Cod:

If you are allowing a few more carbs and fats one of my favorites is to take about a tablespoon of mayonnaise and season (usually a little garlic, fresh ground pepper, a little smoked paprika) or homemade flavored aoli spread on top of your favorite filet and press the then press the top w mayo into a pan with panko bread crumbs and bake (panko side up) as above...

If you are doing a more keto type regime skip the panko and mix a little parmesean cheese into the mayo spread over fish and bake.
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump
  • bail8gent
    Options
    I eat fish on the regular:

Below is a killer recipe for a cheap healthy fish Tilapia

serving size : 2

1/2 lb Tilapia
    2 Tbs Parm cheese powder version look for low sodium one
    1 Tbs butter salted or unslated
    2 1/4 Tsp Low Fat Mayo
    1 1/2 Tsp Fresh Lemon juice
    1/8 Tsp dried basil 1/8= a dash also
    1/8 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
    1/8 Tsp Onion Powder
    1/8 Tsp celery seed

Directions:
    1.Preheat Oven's broiler HI setting, Take a pan line with aluminum foil
    2.In a small bow,l mix together the parm cheese,butter (make sure its softened),Low Mayo and lemon juice and seasonings.MIX WELL and set aside ** DO NOT CHILL IN FRIDGE **
    3.Arrange fillets in a single layer on the aluminum foil (could be a cookie sheet) Broil a few inches from heat source 2-3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil 2-3 minutes more. I start with the dark side up its a dark or red line going up the middle of the fillet.
    Remove the Filletsand now top them with the mixture in the bowl get it all over the fillets and on the sides ...I use my finger to spread on them then top with a sprinkle of Shredded Parm Low Fat.
    Cook an additional 2-3 or until cheese is bubbling on top !

Viola '
    Let me know how you like it !!:wink:
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Clm81401
    Options
    First off if you realy want to bake the fish use parchment paper so it will not stick. Make sure it is fully unthawed. Use a bowl with a collander on top of it filled with ice. Put the frozen fish on top of the ice. This will unthaw the fish and not make it meely. I like a flounder with a pesto on top of it about 13 minutes at 350. Serve it over top steamed and puread parsnips and you never miss a tarter sauce. I usually have a beat sald for a side with this meal. Good Luck....
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    For tilapia or swai, I bake at 400 in a shallow glass baking dish. Thaw it first. A bit of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Salt, pepper, paprika, or lemon. (But I'm going to try some of the spices recommended above.) Maybe 15 minutes top. It's best to test for flakiness. When I remove it I transfer it to a paper towel to absorb the oil before putting it on my plate.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The following is my favorite over Mahi Mahi or Cod:

If you are allowing a few more carbs and fats one of my favorites is to take about a tablespoon of mayonnaise and season (usually a little garlic, fresh ground pepper, a little smoked paprika) or homemade flavored aoli spread on top of your favorite filet and press the then press the top w mayo into a pan with panko bread crumbs and bake (panko side up) as above...
    We eat a lot of tilapia & cod, but I've never made it this way. I will definitely be trying it. Thanks!
  • SouthernArt77
    Options
    This is one of our favorite fish recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/baked-cod-with-olives-and-limes-recipe/index.html

I include minced garlic in with the capers & olives (she did on the show but it's left out of the recipe) and reduce the amount of olive oil. It's great over rice!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    unless you brought the fish fresh and then froze it no recipe should start off saying "thaw it"
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    unless you brought the fish fresh and then froze it no recipe should start off saying "thaw it"

Unless you are landlocked like me and fresh fish is VERY hard to find. *Just Sayin'*
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I make baked fish nuggets. Just chunk up the fish (I like a white fish for this like Tilapia) into 1-inch pieces and coat in egg white, then coat in finely ground tortilla chips. Let stand at room temp for 10 minutes, then bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the fish is flaky and reaches an internal temp of 140 to 145 F. The tortilla chips are already seasoned, so it is SUPER easy.

These also make GREAT fish tacos with some corn tortillas and a little coleslaw. Yum!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Actually, I'm all into eating fresh, but I have used Whole Foods' frozen tilapia and it was just fine.

Tilapia is super easy. Spray a baking sheet or baking dish. Olive oil, salt and pepper on both sides. Broil for 7-9 minutes. I like to make a fat free greek yogurt dressing - yogurt, honey, chives, salt, pepper and lemon juice.

For Salmon, I put it skin side down on an UNSPRAYED piece of tinfoil. Make a sauce out of honey and mustard for the top. Then I bake it at 350 until it's just about done (10 minutes) and broil it for a 2-3 minutes. Take a metal spatula and slip it between the fish and the skin. The skin will stick to the tinfoil and the salmon will come off super easy. No mess!
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Try microwaving your fish for 3 to 5 minutes depending on the wattage of your microwave and the quantity of your fish. Always add some kind of flavourful liquid. For example, I may use about a half cup of medium salsa and half cup of water or I might add soya sauce, garlic and lemon juice. You can try all kinds of different combinations. I'm a lazy cook and this works really well for me.
  • SouthernArt77
    Options

Unless you are landlocked like me and fresh fish is VERY hard to find. *Just Sayin'*
    Yep. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have access to fresh seafood.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I got this recipe, but it's great.

Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
    • 3 -4 tilapia fillets, depending on size
    • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or 1/4 cup crushed Ritz cracker
    • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    • salt
    • pepper
    • garlic powder
    • olive oil
    Directions:
    Thaw and wash tilapia fillets if frozen. Pat dry on paper towels.
    Combine crumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic powder on a plate, mixing well.
    On a different plate, pour 1 tbsp lemon juice.
    Working 1 at a time, place a fillet on the plate in the lemon juice, sprinkle with desired amount of kosher salt (be careful about how much salt is in your parmesan, crumbs, and other seasonings), black pepper, and garlic powder. Turn the fillet over in the lemon juice and sprinkle seasoning on the other side.
    Dredge fillet in the parmesan mixture patting it all over to coat.
    Place in an oiled baking dish, repeat with remaining fillets.
    Sprinkle a little lemon juice over fillets and drizzle or spray them lightly with olive oil.
    Bake at 425ºF for about 20 minutes or until they easily flake with a fork and edges are browning (you can sprinkle some more parmesan on top if desired). You can also bake these faster at 450ºF.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

just be careful of the country of origin with your frozen fish...