Snack or not?

Options
Okay so I just finished Jeri Love Extremely Ripped 1000 workout #2 and about 10 minutes of her Extremely Ripped DVD. So my question is should I have a snack at this time at night or should I skip it? I will be going to bed at about 12am.

Replies

• jawhwilson
    Options
    You should eat something within twenty minutes of exercizing. Have some fruit or something, it helps your metabolism keep up the good work you started with your work out. (At least I read that anyway. ) :)
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    If you're going to have a big calorie deficit, eat something. If you're within 100 calories of your goal (including exercise) let it slide. Consider that your body will be operating on a defecit until breakfast tomorrow - if you're ok with eating close to bed, eat something good (fruit, yogurt) I usually can't sleep on a full stomach so if I find a big calorie defecit after like 9:30, it's just going to stay that way.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I will have a light snack since I might be starving by the time I go to bed. My diet was pretty good today and I'm sure I burned lots of calories with my workout. I need to keep in mind not to over do it.

Thanks
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    FYI FROM WHAT i'VE HEARD IS THAT THE BODY HAS NO CONCEPT OF TIME SO EATING "LATE" DOESNT APPLY. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO EAT EVERY THREE HOURS NO MATTER WHAT TIME IT IS...THIS KEEPS YOUR METABOLISM STEADY AND HIGH...ALSO AFTER WORK OUTS, YOU SHOULD EAT SOMETHING HEALTHY WITH A LOT OF PROTEIN...PROTEIN SHAKES ARE PRETTY GOOD (IF YOU GET THE RIGHT BRAND!), THEY FILL YOU AND HAVE THE NECESSARY PROTEIN FOR AFTER WORKING OUT.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree with the second reply. Eating before bed is mostly discouraged because it can make sleeping difficult. If this isn't a problem for you, you should try to get a small amount of protein after exercises to provide the materials so your body can repair damage to muscle mass. If you did high impact stuff, something with a bit of iron in it as well would be good, because you can damage blood cells through impact, and these have to be replaced which consumes iron. Of course if you only did 10 minutes you wont get anemia, but its worth keeping in mind if you have food that satisfies those three conditions (protein, iron, and doesn't make sleep difficult, and I should probably add, doesn't take you over your calorie goal.)
  • mammakisses
    Options
    FYI FROM WHAT i'VE HEARD IS THAT THE BODY HAS NO CONCEPT OF TIME SO EATING "LATE" DOESNT APPLY. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO EAT EVERY THREE HOURS NO MATTER WHAT TIME IT IS...THIS KEEPS YOUR METABOLISM STEADY AND HIGH...ALSO AFTER WORK OUTS, YOU SHOULD EAT SOMETHING HEALTHY WITH A LOT OF PROTEIN...PROTEIN SHAKES ARE PRETTY GOOD (IF YOU GET THE RIGHT BRAND!), THEY FILL YOU AND HAVE THE NECESSARY PROTEIN FOR AFTER WORKING OUT.

Yep that does make alot of sense. I never ate after a workout because I was affraid to undo my hard work. I will need to repeat this to myself.
  • mammakisses
    Options
    I agree with the second reply. Eating before bed is mostly discouraged because it can make sleeping difficult. If this isn't a problem for you, you should try to get a small amount of protein after exercises to provide the materials so your body can repair damage to muscle mass. If you did high impact stuff, something with a bit of iron in it as well would be good, because you can damage blood cells through impact, and these have to be replaced which consumes iron. Of course if you only did 10 minutes you wont get anemia, but its worth keeping in mind if you have food that satisfies those three conditions (protein, iron, and doesn't make sleep difficult, and I should probably add, doesn't take you over your calorie goal.)

Ah thanks for the info. I heard about protein after a workout before but never the iron. Thanks
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Yep that does make alot of sense. I never ate after a workout because I was affraid to undo my hard work. I will need to repeat this to myself.

Glad I could help! I only met with a personal trainer about 8 times, but I learned soooo much from him! It was a great learning experience!