10 Biggest Sports Nutrition Myths.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I agree with all of this, with the exception of this passage in myth #1
    many runners still avoid using sports drinks and energy gels containing simple sugars because they are accustomed to thinking of sugar as “bad”.

Many runners avoid the gels during training to make their body more efficient at using it's own energy stores, not because we think sugars are bad. Train the body to be efficient, then add the simple carbs on race day for an added boost.

And this piece on myth #4
    A number of studies have shown that runners perform best and face no additional risk of heat illness when they simply drink by thirst...

There have been no studies that have positively linked dehydration to any type of heat illness, so that's a moot point and there have been no studies that show that runners perform better if they drink to thirst than if they don't drink at all in race distances up to and including the marathon.

Excerpt from a book that has done extensive research on all studies on this subject that have been conducted over the last 100+ years.

http://www.runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=26481
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    With articles like this, I always want to know "based on what peer-reviewed, real science?"

It's fine to disprove myths as long as you tell me why your statement is no more of a myth than what is being disproved.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Seems more of a runner-specific nutrition myth guide than anything.