NSV, and it blew my mind :D

Options
Ezada
Ezada Posts: 207 Member
I am my own worst enemy, my brain is a constant battle ground of "why should I continue this, it's pointless", it is a struggle to do what is needed to better myself.

I got it in my head to train for a Half Marathon with a bit of prodding from a couple of friends <3
I started out thinking to myself that I might be able to do it, but I wanted to wait until January before I gave a definitive answer as to if I was going to run it or not. I was 270lbs, this wasn't going to be easy.

My running buddy dropped out of training 2 weeks in so I have been going to the gym alone for the past 4 weeks, I almost dropped out myself but I have friends who are counting on me, who want to do this with me and I couldn't let them down. I thought I was going to die that first week, jogging for 30 seconds and walking for 90, I needed more of a break then that! The aches, the pains, the flaring of my Plantar Faciitis. What the hell was I thinking. The excuses as to why I should quit started all to easily in my head.

Yesterday I didn't want to go to the gym, I hurt, I will be alone, blah blah blah. I went though and folks, I jogged for 1/4 of a mile without stopping and with the ability to carry on a conversation while doing so (though I was actually singing, out loud, quietly). I have never been able to do that in my entire life, and the best part, during the walking portion I was able to regulate my breathing and get down to a normal heart rate in less than a minute, I was gasping for air during my jogging portions when I started. I didn't get a stitch in my side or anything, my feet still hurt today but I did it!!!

I literally cried in my car when I left the gym, I could actually do this, I might actually be able to survive a Half Marathon! The best part, we are doing a 5K in December (You read it here Sara! It's MFP Official and now we have to do it!) and if my training goes according to schedule I will be able to run the whole thing without stopping.

Also, my tightest work pants practically fell off of me at work yesterday, I am buying a belt after work :D

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Glad to hear you're starting with a 5K too. Work your way up to the half! I'm doing my first 10K on Saturday. <nervous>
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's an awesome NSV!!!!!!!!!!! You can totally do it and you WILL do!

I started running earlier this year after not being able to run a block and now I'm up to 40 mins. Just keep going!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    way to go, that is wonderful! ;)
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I just started training for my first 5K and I'm doing it with friends so that is pushing me to continue even when its hard! You can do it! And congrats on the looser pants!
  • mimidelia
    Options
    great job!!!!!!!!!!! you can do it!!!
  • Kattibrie
    Kattibrie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to hear the update on the 5K. Good Luck!!!!! You got this.
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    doing races is addicting... beware! =) You'll love getting to the finish line!

great job!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :D

Soniabogonia, I am slowly getting addicted already, I have a date with my BFF to go Running Shoe Shopping soon :D
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Awesome, you did it and you can take the credit, looking forward to hearing how you went in the 5K.
    I would love to do a run as I have in my whole live not been able too not even as a kid because of Asthma!!
    But I will one day!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!