Clean eating and staying focused

Options
2»

Replies

• DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    They have done studies and fructose (and high fructose corn syrup which is in gobs of processed items) does affect your brain so it definitely makes sense. http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/this-is-your-brain-on-sugar-ucla-233992.aspx

Omega 3 can help counteract it but why eat that trash in the first place? ;)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many negative posts there are about this! Totally agree, when you eat crappy you feel crappy, thus having less motivation and energy! Keep up the great work!

Thank you...I agree. When I initiated this thread, I was hoping to start a discussion about the relationship between diet and mental well being. I did not anticipate having to get defensive about my diet choices. For the record, I hate the phrase "clean eating". I find it very restrictive. But in certain situations it is useful in making a point. Also for the record, there are few, if any, chain restaurants where I can eat a reasonable meal without being in the rest room for the remainder of the day. This is a fact. It has led me to conclude that these restaurants modify their foods in some way and that does not agree with me body.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many negative posts there are about this! Totally agree, when you eat crappy you feel crappy, thus having less motivation and energy! Keep up the great work!

Disagreeing with an opinion is negative?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Eating should be kept in context and one should avoid strict definitions of foods as being "clean" and "unclean" which may affect food choices. Eat to provide your body with sufficient amounts of vitamins, nutrients and minerals as well as energy in the form of calories. If you meet your micronutrient needs and have 20% remaining in calories, then allocate those calories to meet macronutrient and energy needs. It does a person no good to greatly exceed micronutrient intake if you consistently fall under macronutrient needs just because one avoids foods that happen to be labeled as "unclean" in favor of "clean" foods.

If I met my micro needs, and am short 300 calories to meet my daily energy needs, I'm reaching for the ice cream and not a stalk of celery.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Fire_Rock... define eating clean. I see nothing wrong with whole fat milk and cottage cheese.

I'm using her words, I don't find such labels useful for individual foods outside the context of the overall diet.