Complimenting Conundrum

2»

Replies

• _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Damn girl, I wanna eat some sushi off of that body....always works on me!

Haha. That gets me every time. ;)
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Perhaps some context is helpful:

This arose after getting an email from a blog I subscribe to. The author is a Crossfit coach and Paleo Diet practitioner in Colorado. Living in AZ, I do not have delusions of grandeur and romance- I simply wanted to tell this blogger that she had an amazing physique (she does!)

As I thought about how to say this in an email, I also thought about the applications of this in reference to women who are in my physical presence, at the gym, or at the Crossfit place I go to- how do you compliment a woman on her physical appearance?
    "Hey there, I'm a loyal reader of your blog and I love checking in on your updates! Your advice is insightful and obviously it works--how long have you been working at your program to achieve those results?

Thanks so much for being a positive encouragement to me, even if you don't realize it!

In solidarity,
    A Loyal Reader"

I sent the email right before I got this post, and wrote almost EXACTLY what you did. Great minds think alike!
  • trackstack
    trackstack Posts: 174 Member
    Nm haha
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member

LOL, Just be honest and genuine. She will appreciate the compliment!

That worked for me.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Please don't do it. And women shouldn't say it to men either, unless you are close friends. I would be creeped out if someone said that to me, even if it was true.

ETA - if you really have to complement the person, complement them on their hard work at the gym. "Wow, you lift X pounds? That's awesome." But not their body.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    I would say praise the verb and not the noun.

Instead of "nice body" say "nice work".
    Instead of "nice pecs" maybe... um... nevermind.
  • JAMProphet

Haha. That gets me every time. ;)

I will try it, and report my results :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Please don't do it. And women shouldn't say it to men either, unless you are close friends. I would be creeped out if someone said that to me, even if it was true.

ETA - if you really have to complement the person, complement them on their hard work at the gym. "Wow, you lift X pounds? That's awesome." But not their body.

OK, I'm no religious expert, I try and stay out of it, but I do think that in some religions it is frowned upon to compliment the body because any kind of attention to the body is looked upon as negative. That being said, I do not think that is a reason NOT to compliment someone. To me that's like living in fear, "OMG I can't tell that girl she's cute, she might be offended!" I don't know about you, but I don't want to live my life that way. When I say a compliment I mean it, and if the person doesn't like it, well poo on them. The poster is right though there are other ways to approach the compliment.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    If a guy approached me at a gym and said, "I can tell you're a really hard worker, because you look really great. Kudos to you, and keep up the good job!" I would be flattered as hell.
  • JAMProphet
    Thanks all! this is great. Its like homework! I'm going to try this out and report on how it goes- I am really curious to see how people respond. After all, I think we ALL can use compliments and encouragement!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    As a lady who works out with guys often, I appreciate being complimented on my hard work and on being in good shape. Even a general "You're looking good" is appreciated.
    But it would make me a bit uncomfortable if a guy complimented me on my body, said I looked "hot" or anything like that.
    (But I'm also married.)
  • JAMProphet
    SOOOOO....

Here was what I told her:

"I love the photos of you doing your crossfit thing! It is very obvious that you take great care of yourself :)"

I sent the email, and it was received very well! Here is her response:

"And thank you for the compliment!! You are far too kind!"

Mission = ACCOMPLISHED!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Glad the email went over well!

As for me, I'm of the easy going variety. I tend to get lots of unsolicited commentary on my backside (I think Sir Mix A Lot wrote his song about me, haha), so I've learned to just laugh it off. I did have someone compliment me on my legs once at the gym and it didn't come across as pervy. Someone else commented on my stomach and then proceeded to try to chat me up and that was annoying.

If a woman is working out and she has headphones on, keep all converstation short, light and to the point. A friendly, genuine compliment should generally be well received as long as it doesn't seem like you have any other motives. If you secretly do have other motives, wait to see how she responds. If it's favorable, I'd try another conversation at a later date ~ don't come on too strong at first and leave her wanting more interaction with you.
  • JAMProphet
    Glad the email went over well!

As for me, I'm of the easy going variety. I tend to get lots of unsolicited commentary on my backside (I think Sir Mix A Lot wrote his song about me, haha), so I've learned to just laugh it off. I did have someone compliment me on my legs once at the gym and it didn't come across as pervy. Someone else commented on my stomach and then proceeded to try to chat me up and that was annoying.

If a woman is working out and she has headphones on, keep all converstation short, light and to the point. A friendly, genuine compliment should generally be well received as long as it doesn't seem like you have any other motives. If you secretly do have other motives, wait to see how she responds. If it's favorable, I'd try another conversation at a later date ~ don't come on too strong at first and leave her wanting more interaction with you.

"I like big butts and I cannot lie" - most likely NOT the line I would use to compliment you at the gym :)
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    SOOOOO....

Here was what I told her:

"I love the photos of you doing your crossfit thing! It is very obvious that you take great care of yourself :)"

I sent the email, and it was received very well! Here is her response:

"And thank you for the compliment!! You are far too kind!"

Mission = ACCOMPLISHED!

Applause to you for handling well like a gentlemen!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • I can tell you are dedicated and work hard!
    Your results are impressive.
    What a transformation.
    You look amazing. Great job!
    It is obvious you take good care of yourself!

Those would be my suggestions for compliments that steer clear of finding yourself put in the pervert category????
  • JAMProphet
    I can tell you are dedicated and work hard!
    Your results are impressive.
    What a transformation.
    You look amazing. Great job!
    It is obvious you take good care of yourself!

Those would be my suggestions for compliments that steer clear of finding yourself put in the pervert category????

Thanks! I'm gonna try them and report results!

Also- I think you have the awesomest profile name!
  • JAMProphet
    As a lady who works out with guys often, I appreciate being complimented on my hard work and on being in good shape. Even a general "You're looking good" is appreciated.
    But it would make me a bit uncomfortable if a guy complimented me on my body, said I looked "hot" or anything like that.
    (But I'm also married.)

Thanks for the tip! I am going to try it as soon as I get back to my gym