DEFICIT PER WEEK

Options
hello,
I am new to this and just calculated my current calorie deficit per week at about 6230. I am not 100% sure what it means in the terms of weight loss. Is it too much and how many pounds does that average? thanks :)

Replies

• GoatBoat66
    Options
    3500 calories is 1 lb. So you would be losing ~1.8 lbs/week. It seems fine.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    thank you!
    Currently I weigh 210 and I am 5'3.. I calculate I need 2020 calories to maintain my weight. Right now I am eating about 1200-1300 cals a day. I hope I did my math right. I was just concerned this may be too little and unsafe or something. I get conflicting answers from sites/doctor/people on what my calorie intake should be. I would like to lose 2 pounds a week for this month and then slow it down to 1 pound per week.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    also, this is only my first week and I have lost 4 pounds in 4 days. Is that mostly water? Should I be concerned about that too? (really have no clue what I am doing here)
  • GoatBoat66
    Options
    It's safe to eat at a 700-800 calorie deficit. But if you find you are miserable, you could add ~300 and still be losing at a good rate. Yes it's water.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    okay thanks! I am not miserable at all on that especially since I have an at home computer job. Thank you for the reassurance :)
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    okay thanks! I am not miserable at all on that especially since I have an at home computer job. Thank you for the reassurance :)

When you have quite a lot to lose like me it takes time, so you have to pick a calorie intake that lets you have some variety and room to fall off the wagon on occassion.

The abililty to sustain your new way of life is more important than how fast you lose the weight - I know you want fast results but actually slow and steady are really better in the end.