Is it true that you gain weight at the "time of the month"?

Options

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself around 3 days later. It's not "gaining weight". You're actually just retaining water, but yes. You're heavier during your period because your body is holding in water weight.
  • javajinny
    Options
    I "put on" about 2 pounds every month! Usually the week before and the week of I am heavier than the other two weeks of the month. I also don't record the heavier weights. But it's a nice surprise to "loose" 5 pounds the week after. :laugh:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If I weigh myself when I am on my period, I am usually up about 6 lbs. Ouch! I just avoid avoid wieghing myself until I feel the bloat go down.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's a total myth. In fact, it has never been brought up on this forum, ever. You're the first one, congratulations!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    OK...I don't mean this to be rude..but unless you just started having periods.....how do you NOT know if you do or don't? Don't you know if you get all bloated and stuff when its that time?

It does happen to a lot of women, but if you have to ask...maybe it doesn't for you (?). I'd suggest you weigh in anyway...even if you're up a little now, you'll know in a couple of days if you have a sudden drop. Its a good idea to track it anyway so you know how much (if any) your weight fluctuates.....
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This is why I am such an advocate for weighing every day and recording the weight. You will learn so much about how your weight fluctuates and then won't have to worry about what may or may not be affecting it. I've learned, for example, that my weight will go up in the week or so leading up to my time of the month, and then drop off just as it starts, but I know for other women the timing is different. The important thing is, it doesn't have anything to do with fat loss or gain. If the gain sticks around for a while, it's probably fat (or muscle or both). If it goes away in a few days, then it was just water retention. Weigh yourself regularly and you'll be able to pull the signal (fat) from the noise (water).
    :flowerforyou:
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gains, and some will gain more than others. I usually gain three pounds, but my mom's friend gained like 10 pounds at her TOTM...she apparently had a separate wardrobe for that time. I'd just recommend having one official weigh-in each week, and then don't get discouraged if the number jumps a little or stays the same right around that time.

Edit - the one "official" weigh in means that it's the one you go by, but you can weigh in more frequently...I know lots of people on here do that. That way you can see when the weigh goes back down. I've also seen people say that for any weight gains, they'll wait three days before logging it to see if it's water weight.
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose. I think it vary's person to person. If you usually bloat then you would probably gain a little because of water weight.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I gain, oddly enough though when I take ACV regularly, I don't seem to have that issue during that time..

I'm more concerned with the feeling that my uterus feels like it's about to fall on the floor and squash the urge to hold my crotch as I walk....

For a reference, I would probably just weigh..
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    I always lose weight during TOM...I guess I am just weird!!
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to lose, so I don't know.

Me too, I lose faster during. I read that our metabolisms burn "slightly" faster during that time... but who knows?
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    all women are different so you really need to get to know your body inside and out. This monthly for me fell over Halloween. I ate candy and I didn't work out for 2 days which is very unlike me. I did hardly anything one day except eat everything in sight. ugh. So I did gain almost 2 pounds and I deserved it. Whatt'ya expect, right? But if I down a couple Midol or Advil and hit the gym regardless, and stick to diet, and keep the water intake very very high then I don't gain. Last month I lost a pound during and 2 more pounds right after. Keep in mind if you "gain" but then within a couple days of it ending you have a whoosh! and lose the pounds again then you know it was water retention. If you gain for good it was probably from bad choices you made while under the influence of PMS like I did. Warning: don't eat the house down. back away from the Halloween candy. get your @$s to the gym. drink twice as much water as usual. It is up to you. But when your uterus feels like its about to do something that looks like a scene from a horror film and burst through my abdomen, well... it's hard to make the right choice. good luck with that.
  • TaterTotz777
    Options
    i gain like 5 pounds of water weight i think or maybe its the chocolate i cant keep from shoving down my gullet
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Didn't see any weight gain around "time of the month". I know that some water retention may occur in that period, but I didn't see any relevant gain in myself. I ussualy feel the bloathing several days before it comming, but didn't see any gain there either.
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I know that I definitely do but apparently it's because your body is holding onto water, so if you drink more water then maybe your body will let go of more of that water (if that makes sense) I've also heard taking aquaban or some kind of medicine like that works to drop the water weight on your menzies
  • strudel82
    strudel82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh but never record it. I put on between 4 and 7 lbs, usually 4 days before until the last couple of days. It's infuriating, but at least I know what it's from.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    oh yeah! 6 pounds last month.....
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    You just have to remind yourself that if you are up a pound or two, or three or four, that it's all water weight and when your TOM is over, the weight will be right back off.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Actually, for me, I have realized that towards the time of the month, whatever week it is where I would expect at least a 1 pound loss, my weight momentarily plateaus. And then after those 6 days (no change whatsoever in activity during TOM, i still work out religiously and watch my calorie intake, in fact i work out harder since it really helps with the cramps), I experience about a 0.5 pound gain (no clue why) and then after a few days, following my next weigh in, I lose 2-3 pounds. So it all really averages out to about 1.5lb loss a week :)

Don't worry. Don't even depend on the effin number on the scale. What matters is how you feel about yourself. Have other NSV goals. Like say, maybe measure inches off parts of your body, or observe how well you are breathign lately, your activity level, how hyper you get :)

I don't let TOM affect me in any way. So what if I gain a few pounds during it, I know that when i remain consistent in watching my calorie intake and activity, the weight will just fall off. If I had lost 1 - 3 pounds before, I can always do it again. no biggie :)
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    oh yeah! 6 pounds last month.....

not to derail....but WTF is that in your profile pic?????!!!!!!