I need something else to do...

Options
124»

Replies

• hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I was reading this morning about setting goals and one thing that really stuck out and that I sometimes struggle with myself is to not allow myself to fall into patterns of negative thinking. It is far too easy to tell yourself all the reasons you don't like something, all the reasons you can't do something, all the things that are holding you back.

Instead, you need to focus on the positive. So you don't like the elliptical. That's fine...use the treadmill, or a rowing machine, or a stair climber, or a recumbent bicycle. Yes, I know how boring it is to stay in one place and feel like you're going nowhere which is the exact reason I love cycling...it gets me out and about and offers a wide array of scenery.

If you don't feel comfortable with doing a C25K...or can't follow the program exactly, adapt it to what you *can* do and always strive to be a little faster. Programs like C25K are more like guidelines than rules. Not everybody progresses at the same rate, so if you need to modify it, there's nothing wrong with it. There's nothing that is as discourage as quickly as setting expectations too high and not being able to reach them.

So find something you *can* do. Don't tell me there's nothing because there are an unlimited number of options open that will get your heart rate up. It doesn't matter what you do, only that you do something. So make it something you enjoy, remind yourself of how much you do enjoy it, and see yourself in your mind enjoying it.

If you don't have a specific goal and reason that you're reaching for that goal, figure out what that goal is *right this moment* and then immediately after decide why you want it. Something like, "I am so proud that it is January first and not only did I *not* gain weight over the holidays, but I actually lost 15 pounds." and then "Losing 15 pounds makes me feel incredible because I can now jog a mile non stop and people are complimenting me telling me that I have lost weight and that is an amazing feeling."

Set goals, focus on the positive, visualize success and you'll be well on your way to getting the body you want and the healthy benefits that accompany a healthier physique.
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You need to get your fitness habit going. Once you do this, it will be much more automatic to just go exercise, and you'll start to tune out the annoying part of your brain that keeps thinking up excuses to not work out today.

Things to try:
    - Switch to a workout that's less monotonous. 30 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical can be boring. Fitness classes or DVDs are more interesting than just slogging away on the elliptical.
    - Make the boring portion of your workout more interesting by finding an effective distraction. Some people listen to energetic music; I listen to audiobooks that I download free from my library.
    - Try a new exercise approach every week.
    - Get into a weight lifting program, and gradually increase the weights. Example: New Rules of Lifting for Women

Just don't give up. Never ever ever give up.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Does your YMCA have a pool? If so, I would suggest a water aerobics class, it is a fantastic way to get started on an exercise routine. Anyone can get in the water and move. I did water aerobics for almost two years at almost 300 pounds so size is no excuse. We also have an 82 year old woman who come goes to class twice a day, so age i not an excuse. The good thing is that once you are in the water, no one knows if you are getting the moves right or not.

Man I WISH they had a pool! I'd be swimming laps every day!
    - Make the boring portion of your workout more interesting by finding an effective distraction. Some people listen to energetic music; I listen to audiobooks that I download free from my library.
    I do this. The cardio equipment has TVs built in. I'm fortunate that one of my favorite shows is on when I usually go to the gym. That plus music is my distraction at the moment... but I'd kinda like to change things up.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here. Just want to add don't give up on classes. Don't assume you'll be the only out of shape person there either. Try to take a fun class. I took a belly dancing class for several years. Not only was I NOT the only heavy person there, even one of the instructors was heavy (she had a thyroid problem). So yeah we looked quite ridiculous in our skimpy costumes performing at the coffee shops, restuarants and fairs. BUT- we had a lot of fun. Alas, my teacher moved to CA and now the closest class is in the next city over. You may find yourself more interested in polka, clogging, whatever but the important thing is to have fun and set goals- mastering a certain routine or technique. Give yourself lots of positive messages and mental hugs and just know YOU CAN DO IT :)
  • slleader
    slleader Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try Leslie Sansone DVDs. She is great and they are great for beginners. You can find some at Walmart. Or how about wearing a pedometer and setting a goal for yourself everyday? I hope you find something that works for you.

This ^^^ You can also check at your local library and see which video you like before buying them!!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I started at very close to the same weight as you at 5'6. I have almost 20 years on ya but I game too and have for many many years. I am not a 'workout' person either - I don't go to the gym, I don't lift weights..probably I do everything 'wrong' but I have still lost 30 lbs in about 4 months by watching my food. I don't eat 'clean' but I do cook mostly everything I eat. Most of what I eat is 'bad' food. I eat pasta, rice, potatoes, meat, lasagna, tacos and other 'junk' food.

I just want you to know that it IS possible by making very small changes a little bit at a time. Don't feel you need to do everything at once..you don't NEED to kill yourself at the gym, you don't NEED to eat anything 'special', you don't NEED to be 'social'. The ONLY thing you NEED to do is figure out how many calories you should eat based on your weight, your age and your height. Eat that, try to make better choices (I see you are on the right track with this) drink your water and do a little bit of extra moving around when you can.

I walk 30 minutes 5days/week. I started walking slow and it was hard to do at first but I made it. Now I can do the same walk in no time - I fly by people ;) You don't NEED to run, just walk. If you want to go to the gym that's awesome too but I more just want to tell you not to get frustrated because you aren't able to do some of the things that people think you 'should' do. DO what you can, start with baby steps..Ask your MFP friends when you need help. Forums are great but I haven't found them to be all that 'helpful' for questions. They are great for some things but for 'specific' answers..don't even bother.