what % of average lifters bench more than they squat?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

For me it is dead>squat>bench too. Depressing. At my gym we have 5 benchs with an oly bar that are usually busy and 2 squats racks that are alll free for me. :)

What's this? The squat racks just sit there all lonely? But everybody on this site swears there's a waiting list a foot long for the squat racks and it's a disservice to the world if anybody (read: me) does 3 sets of curls or OHP there. You must be at the only gym on MFP where people aren't squatting 24/7
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

For me it is dead>squat>bench too. Depressing. At my gym we have 5 benchs with an oly bar that are usually busy and 2 squats racks that are alll free for me. :)

What's this? The squat racks just sit there all lonely? But everybody on this site swears there's a waiting list a foot long for the squat racks and it's a disservice to the world if anybody (read: me) does 3 sets of curls or OHP there. You must be at the only gym on MFP where people aren't squatting 24/7

oh. you're one of THOSE people. i might have to rethink our MFP friendship

my squat is WAY heavier than my bench. I'm almost squatting my BW and i'm barely above benching half my my body weight
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeah would't surprise me. Form me its dead>squat>bench. But a mate who I bench with does the same weight on the bench and about half on the dead and squat. For him bench = dead > squat.

I rarely see anyone doing a heavy squat or dead lift, but kids are all over the bench.

It SHOULD be dead>squat>bench>ohp so I am not sure why you are depressed

Sorry depressed might not be the right word....more like annoyed since I am stuck at a pathetic 75 pounds bench :)

It is very difficult for most women to build upper body strength

This is very true. While we are a little behind guys in leg strength we are way behind in upper body strength.

I squat 75% of my deadlifts, bench 50% of my deadlifts and OHP 40% of my deadlift.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    granted I'm one of those weirdos who squats A LOT more (relatively) raw than I deadlift, so I understand unusual imbalances that can occur even when folks do the exercises. .

My deadlift finally caught up to my squats! I'm still newish (almost a year and a half), but I hated being able to squat far more than I deadlift.

Oh, back to the OP. I say at least 90% of guys. And is bet that less than 10% of women bench press regularly.
  • xcoyote
    Options
    I actually always thought I had a very weak bench.

I can Dead 190kg for 1, Squat 160kg for 1, and Bench (just recently) 100 for 5 (so, I can only imagine 1 rep max would only be 110 maybe?).

Interestingly, my missus who has just started squatting again after having our kids, is on 60kg squats for 5-6 reps (On strength days)...which is kinda shameful considering I started off squatting 30kg :-o
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My squat and bench are close, 5x5x140 on squat, 5x5x110 on bench. I've done squats for longer I think.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It depends. Most people at my gym don't even hit legs. They look ridiculous walking around like half empty tooth pastes.

Hahahahaha
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ohh and i wish i could bench what i squat and i wish i could squat what i deadlift.

I'm the opposite. I squat more than I deadlift :ohwell: Is that bad??
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    ohh and i wish i could bench what i squat and i wish i could squat what i deadlift.

I'm the opposite. I squat more than I deadlift :ohwell: Is that bad??

Me too. I'm well aware that my legs are powerful, my core is average, my chest is below average, and my arms are weedy! Sports injuries have taken their toll unfortunately
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most of the women on my track team could squat far more than they could bench. As for me, I could squat 180 but only bench 120, and I weighted 160 at the time.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Mine is squat>deadlift>bench (I havent worked as hard on my deadlift recently as I have on my squat, hence the order). My max bench is 37.kg, my max squat is 95kg...go figure.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    My 1rm squat is 220 lbs. That's over double what I bench.

I would be the happiest/proudest person in the world if I could bench over 220 lbs.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I squat twice what I bench too. :(

Although it's fun to make fun of tooth-pick legged dudes with huge upper bodies.... The other day I saw such a guy get inthe squat rack. ...and proceed to squat 3 plates.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    One of my buddies did the meet with me this weekend and his results were 360/320/360. His openers were 320/320/320. Very balanced.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    One of my buddies did the meet with me this weekend and his results were 360/320/360. His openers were 320/320/320. Very balanced.

so what happened on the last 2 bench attempts (assuming he got the first one).
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Couldn't dream of benching more than my squat. I'm pretty typical:

DL>Squat>BP

Skinny upper body, okay legs. I'm 25lbs away from a bodyweight bench which would be an awesome end of year achievement but the squat should be still comfortably above that.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I can't squat heavy due to poor leverage and low back degeneration. Thankfully I can't bench much either, so at least my bodyparts match! :laugh:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I squat WAAAAAAAY more than I bench.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    2jfvk0.jpg

ETA: I squat more than I bench press and I hope that number will just keep increasing as I'm still fairly new to it. At my gym, the squat rack and power rack are always being used so I have to fight all of those big guys. They usually ease off when they see that I'm actually squatting a decent amount.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options

so what happened on the last 2 bench attempts (assuming he got the first one).

Failed 330, Declined third attempt.