Whats your stance on tipping in a salon/spa?

Options
gotogirl81
gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
I mean obviously you tip your hair stylist/massage therapist/ etc... but how about the shampoo assistant/apprentice? if the stylist is busy, and the assistant/apprentice ends up washing your hair/ applying your color/ or blowing it dry/styling it do you tip the person doing it?

Replies

• Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    yep- i tip my stylist and the shampoo girl.
    they massage my head, neck, and shoulders during shampoo. offer drinks, magazines... in addition to assisting the stylist.
    they definitely enhance the experience and earn their tips. =)
  • gotogirl81
    Options
    glad to see someone does.. kinda thought it was a given esp if you get great service.

<<<<
    shampoo girl who makes like 20 bucks a week on clients :(

thinking about leaving my job bc of this.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a salon where there is a separate person for hair washing (the one I go to the stylist does it all and I prefer it like that) but I would tip everyone involved. If they did more than say hello, they deserve recognition. Just not as much as the person doing the majority of the stuff.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I tip everyone who works on me. I was a waitress and I know that you rely on tips when you are paid some crappy salary.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    You could leave a note on the tip saying, "please give 5 dollars to your assistant, thanks for the lovely service!"
  • gotogirl81
    Options
    You could leave a note on the tip saying, "please give 5 dollars to your assistant, thanks for the lovely service!"

this!!!!

ive been in the industry for 7 years off and on.. and have never seen it though.

It's ridiculous because I moved for this job, and now I'm going to have to leave it, because sorry a 31 year old woman cant live on minimum wage and not make a decent amount in tips.