need a workout dvd to build muscle NOT lose weight

Options
Hi

Looking for some advice really. Over the past year I have been losing weight on a calorie deficit and by working out mainly to 30 day shred, zumba, walking, and epilitical trainer. I had great results but was shocked to see a photo of me the other week!! I can't believe how underweight I looked! Seriously ill, not a good look at all and not what I was aiming for! I am 5ft 4 and about 117 pounds. I have a very small frame and when I put weight on it just tends to be as fatty deposits on my legs hips and stomach and not muscle.

Can anyone recommend a workout dvd that will help me build up my strength and muscle tone but not lose weight? Is the 30 day shred OK for this or should I be cutting out the cardio??

Thank you

Replies

• medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and train harder! It takes some time for women to build muscle so you need to be patient!
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    you can try body beast, PM if you want
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    To quit losing weight, quit eating in a calorie deficit. Eat at maintenance or even slightly above. Lift heavy things.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A lot of Jillian Michaels dvd's help you gain muscle and lose inches instead of weight.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    P90X...
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Just stop eating at a deficit. THAT is why you are losing, not your workout routine.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would like some to know also! I am the same build as you. I was doing a lot of running and one day saw at picture of myself. My legs looked like sticks, it was gross. When I slack off on cardio I start to get a pot belly. I like to do videos, so would love to hear of good strength training ones.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am doing Les Mills Pump which is weight lifting at home and I love it!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've noticed nice muscle tone/definition and little weight drop with Jillian Michael's dvds. Losing inches though ;) and my %BF is going dooooooown!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    eat more .......... i suggest jari love she has a great range of dvds, i can not say you wont loose weight but from personally experience i got super ripped and i ate less of course( i wanted to loose weight) and i looked great, i was 5'8 145 pounds.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any DVDs for bulking up. Just follow a beginner strength training program instead - Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules Of Lifting, whatever. You'll need to eat in a calorie surplus as well (obviously).
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    While I'm not a similar build, I've done both P90X and ChaLEAN Extreme, which were both AMAZING at helping me build muscle. I'm on Day #2 of the Les Mills Pump program and am looking forward to those results as well.

Building muscle is simple... You gotta challenge your muscles, push them to the limits. Give yourself 2-3 months lifting heavy and often (2-4X/week) and I'm sure you will see a different you!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I second Chalean Extreme that was mentioned upthread. I'm getting ready to re-start it very soon.

There's also a book out there that I haven't bought/read yet but comes highly recommended on these forums: The New Rules of Lifting For Women. Maybe give that a look?

Years ago I used Joyce Vedral's Fat Burning Workout and put on a good bit of muscle.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No more trouble zones Jillian Michaels is a great strength and toning DVD! You gotta eat to make up your exercise calories though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any DVDs for bulking up. Just follow a beginner strength training program instead - Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules Of Lifting, whatever. You'll need to eat in a calorie surplus as well (obviously).

This. Although I guess P90 could qualify. But most of the exercise DVDs people use are pure cardio or lightly disguised cardio. You don't need a dvd. You need a program.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This

And cut out the cardio if you want to build muscle (unless you do it for a specific reason, then just make sure you eat enough)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Pumping iron
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You don't need a video, you just need weights. Preferably a barbell with plates and a squat rack would come in handy as well.