Protein shake before bed?

Options
I am trying to tone and I need more protein in my diet. But the only time I am hungry is about 8:30 PM. I go to bed around 10:30-11:00. Would drinking half or a whole pure protein shake before bed be OK? It won't turn into fat instead of muscle will it? (I know that sounds stupid, but I am just checking! :laugh: )

Replies

• GoatBoat66
    Options
    It will turn into fat only if it, combined with everything else you ate for the day, is greater than the energy you expended. Timing doesn't matter.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am trying to tone and I need more protein in my diet. But the only time I am hungry is about 8:30 PM. I go to bed around 10:30-11:00. Would drinking half or a whole pure protein shake before bed be OK? It won't turn into fat instead of muscle will it? (I know that sounds stupid, but I am just checking! :laugh: )

Simply drinking a protein shake will not turn into fat or muscle
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I think its very unlikely the protein shake will be turned into fat
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

In addition to the above replies, yes it's fine to drink your whey protein at night. If you need additional protein in your diet, then go for it and enjoy.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It will turn into fat only if it, combined with everything else you ate for the day, is greater than the energy you expended. Timing doesn't matter.

I was mostly joking about the turning into fat thing...:grumble: So, all joking aside, there is nothing wrong with this???
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    heh.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    8:29 - It will make you bulky

8:31 - It will all turn to fat.

Tread carefully.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I was mostly joking about the turning into fat thing...:grumble: So, all joking aside, there is nothing wrong with this???

If protein shakes before bed are wrong, I don't want to be right
  • GoatBoat66
    Options

Tread carefully.

Does this change with daylight savings time, or should I adjust by an hour?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with it, it actually makes me sleep really well....If I have one before bed, I don't wake up hungry AND if I choose to exercise early, I kick butt without having to have a snack beforehand....
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Casein shake is the way to go.
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I recommend against it. Ever seen "Gremlins"?
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Casein shake is the way to go.

I completely agree. I usually have one of these shakes before going to bed.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with it, it actually makes me sleep really well....If I have one before bed, I don't wake up hungry AND if I choose to exercise early, I kick butt without having to have a snack beforehand....

Finally, a REAL answer!:ohwell: thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Tread carefully.

What if I am on a plane and change time zones?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Finally, a REAL answer!:ohwell: thanks!:flowerforyou:

The first, second, third and fourth responses to this thread were all REAL answers.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

Tread carefully.

It takes 2 weeks for your Circadian rhythms to adjust. I use this opportunity to do a juice fast.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I've done it and it's helped me not wake ready to eat the block. :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

Tread carefully.

What if I am on a plane and change time zones?

Make sure it's not a Casein shake, those digest slower, and you don't want to risk part of it being digested in an improper time zone. Use hydrowhey to be safe.
  • IndyMario
    Options
    I love protein shakes before bed, while in bed, after having gotten into said bed, and all else in between.

The bad thing is that, after having my protein shaken (not stirred, never stirred) I get sleepy.
    Sometimes hungry AND sleepy...