Does anyone here eat Coconut Oil for weight loss?

Options
Just began learning all of the amazing things about coconut oil, and I started eating it just this past Friday. I've been eating about a tablespoon with every meal and cooked with it several times, and I have lost 3.2 pounds since then!! Now it normally takes a lot of work for me to lose just 1 pound a week!!

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what were your results with it?

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I found no benefit past what another fat source would have been. It does add some flavor to sauteed veggies and pan fried foods though.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

I take 1 tablespoon a day. It results in adding 120 calories to my diet. <----cool story bro
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has calories
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

I take 1 tablespoon a day. It results in adding 120 calories to my diet. <----cool story bro

This
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    If you are staying within your calories, fats are a good thing, and coconut oil is a healthy type of saturated fat. But three Tbsp is still 360 calories, so......that's a lot of oil. Of course, I eat cheese, nuts, avocado, coconut oil and 2% dairy every day. Fats are good.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are finding it more satiating and eating less. Hard to tell as you do not appear to log your food.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Whatever works, keep eating it :-)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    So it works by magic?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It actually works because it is a fat that is broken down easily and quickly for energy. Oils like olive and canola while supposeedly good for you are more easily stored by the body as fat. That is the research anyway, I stick to lower carb and watching my cals.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The place where I come from, we cook everything in coconut oil . . .
    And I'd say it has quite a few benefits but I never knew about the weight loss aspects . . .
    Think I'll dig around a bit and get back
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Eat fat to lose fat? Who would have thunk it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It actually works because it is a fat that is broken down easily and quickly for energy. Oils like olive and canola while supposeedly good for you are more easily stored by the body as fat. That is the research anyway, I stick to lower carb and watching my cals.

Could you cite some of this research - would be interesting to see.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    So it works by magic?
    Weightloss works by magic and sorcery.

It's all wizardry, I tell you. WIZARDRY! Oh, and the occasional voodoo juju.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    On a completely unrelated note, did you also happen to be eating at a deficit?
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is very good for you. It is one of the few kinds of oils that doesn't denature (break down) when it is heated. It is also one of the few non-animal sources of saturated fat and is super-yummy! Some people lose weight with the addition of oil if they were eating super-low fat before.

Just remember to account for it. :)
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is fatty, but it is a healthy fat. There are LOTS of benefits to coconut oil other than weightloss. My nutritionist swears by it and I love it!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I eat it for the health benefits, I don't take it expecting for it to make me lose weight faster.
    I also put it on my skin every day, use it in my homemade toothpastes and deodorants. It has a ton of natural topical uses in addition to helping your insides.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about it lately- but hesitate to put it into practice. I'd love some concrete research and data though....it is a good fat, tastes awesome, and cooks well.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    nope! but i do use it to try to look hot in bathroom self shots....See!
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just began learning all of the amazing things about coconut oil, and I started eating it just this past Friday. I've been eating about a tablespoon with every meal and cooked with it several times, and I have lost 3.2 pounds since then!! Now it normally takes a lot of work for me to lose just 1 pound a week!!

I take tsp a day 120 calories later but no weight loss for me...I didnt know I should use it for everymeal..is that what you read? If it works for you great...I am just banking on nice skin for the oils and the extra benefits of fatty acid.