Walk Away the Pounds 3mile walk.. I did the math!!

Options
Hey everyone!
I've really enjoyed myfitnesspal.com and all of the topics posted here! I did all the math conversions :noway: for the 3 mile walk of "Walk Away the Pounds- Super Fat Burning" and it turns out it is a 38minute walk that burns 462 calories!! You are walking at about 4.74 mph, but I rounded up to 4.75 because I did not know how to account for all of the arm movements with the weights. :huh: So, if you do the video to the speed they have you at, and do nothing but the walking.... it's 462 calories!! WHOOHOO!! If I figure out how to add the arm movements I'll let you know!! :bigsmile:

Ashley from Evansville, IN

Replies

• samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It will vary from person to person, but it is an easy way to burn some extra calories. Actually, for the most part (and within reason) when it comes to burning calories walking and jogging, the speed isn't necessarily a factor. The only thing that really matters is distance. Of course, I'm talking about within reason here. Not sprinting all out or crawling at 0.5 MPH.

For example, lets say you run for 30 minutes at 9MPH. You would have covered 4.5 miles in that time. If you compare that to running half the speed but twice as long (4.5 MPH for 60 minutes) you'll find that you have actually burned the same amount of calories. Yes, you exert more of an effort at higher speeds, but you're covering the distance in less time.

Just something to help you out when you dont know your exact pace but know your distance
  • MommaByble
    MommaByble Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That definitely helps! I have a hard time motivating myself to run/walk on a treadmill, and I definitely won't go outside until it warms up. I really like the Walk Away the Pounds video's for now, but once I get out and moving on trails etc I will definitely need those extra calculation tips. For now I will just try to stick with doing SOMETHING 4-6x/week. It's my first week into all of this...
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing. Sounds like you're on the right track. And you definitely have a good positive attitude! :)