Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Marathons...I do the stupidest things...

I do the stupidest things sometimes and now need to know of long does it take to train for a marathon ?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Best case scenario, starting from ZERO running, just training to finish with pain. I would say, minimum, 9 months assuming you don't get injured along the way.

I would NOT recommend that anyone do this. There are lots of other running challenges that are not nearly as daunting as the marathon. It is not a distance to be taken lightly.

My personal recommendation is that one not even entertain the idea of a marathon until they have been running for at least 18 months and are consistently running between 20 and 25 miles per week.
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Depends on you current fitness level and experience. 5 months is the timeline for most beginner training schedules.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    It depends on your past running experience and your level of running fitness right now.

1. If you have no running experience and are currently unfit then at least a year.
    2. If you have extensive running experience and are currently unfit it can be done in 5 or 6 months with difficulty.
    3. If you are currently running around 25 miles a week then around 4 months.
    4. If you are currenly running a little then around 6 months.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Best case scenario, starting from ZERO running, just training to finish with pain. I would say, minimum, 9 months assuming you don't get injured along the way.

I would NOT recommend that anyone do this. There are lots of other running challenges that are not nearly as daunting as the marathon. It is not a distance to be taken lightly.

My personal recommendation is that one not even entertain the idea of a marathon until they have been running for at least 18 months and are consistently running between 20 and 25 miles per week.

I'm going to agree with Carson ...for the most part. The other question is...are you walking or running the marathon? I trained to walk my first in 6 months. It also took me six hours to finish. When I properly trained after running for a couple year two hours dropped off my time. What are your goals?
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    It depends on your past running experience and your level of running fitness right now.

1. If you have no running experience and are currently unfit then at least a year.

pfeww feel a little better :bigsmile: THANKS GUYS ! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member

I'm going to agree with Carson ...for the most part. The other question is...are you walking or running the marathon? I trained to walk my first in 6 months. It also took me six hours to finish. When I properly trained after running for a couple year two hours dropped off my time. What are your goals?

No real goal, probs jog and walk preferably jog depends on how bad it gets, the bet was to "finish" a marathon :bigsmile:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I would recommend the "Non-Runner's Guide to a Marathon" and buy a foam roller and good shoes.
  • CarsonRuns
    I'm going to agree with Carson ...for the most part.

For the most part?! :laugh:
  • Daisy_Cutter_

Lol....meaning if her goal was to walk or just finish my views are a little different!!
  • Daisy_Cutter_

No real goal, probs jog and walk preferably jog depends on how bad it gets, the bet was to "finish" a marathon :bigsmile:

Yep...you can do it. Might be uncomfortable and a bit painful...but you can make the distance!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Marathons...I do the stupidest things...

But you repeat yourself... :laugh:

Just kidding. If you're signing up to train for a marathon, good for you! Follow the advice of those that have done it, and have been successful, from a similar starting point. (Don't listen to people like me who really aren't helpful for any useful advice. I couldn't run a marathon - or likely even a 10k - due to an old ankle injury, so I'm not exactly a wealth of useful information...)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP, listen to Carson & Scott......
  • CarsonRuns

Lol....meaning if her goal was to walk or just finish my views are a little different!!

Yep. Just yanking your chain.:tongue:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Since the time issue has already been answered, I'll say this - in addition to the foam roller previously mentioned, buy The Stick. That's the name "The Stick". Pretty much the best thing I ever got for my training. It's amazing in how quickly it makes pain go away. I'm pretty sure that they infuse the plastic with the blessings of angels, unicorn wishes, and sparkly rainbows.

The reason I purchased mine was because I went from barely being able to walk without wincing in pain after running a 5K WAY faster than I should have the day before a half marathon and about four total minutes with The Stick had me not feeling a single inkling of pain in either leg. I was buying the thing before the rest of my second leg was even rolled out. lol
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Hehe I have a feeling this is how my husband is feeling about now, we only signed up for a half..signed up in July the marathon is in January - got set back by his leg surgery but I think we'll make it, not in stellar time.

My advice is don't just get out there and run...you may overtrain and waste your time...find a GOOD training schedule for beginners and even if you think you can do 'better' stick with it a few weeks...don't want your muscles or shins proving you wrong by pushing it too much you have time :)

Now keep in mind I haven't even run mine yet :) ALSO this time of year there are tons of local 5Ks and 10Ks you can get involved in as you train...like 5K Turkey Trots for thanksgiving...I think we're going to do a "12K's" of Christmas. Often these events have optional shorter walk/runs too....this way you're having some fun while training! St. Patty's 5ks sound like a blast!

I'll just reitterate something here... GOOD SHOES, go to a real RUNNING store. Replace your inserts, replace your shoes...you can help them last longer by wearing them ONLY to run...I have running shoes for running. Zumba shoes for zumba and other group fitness classes, trail runners for hiking/running where I don't want to get my running shoes dirty or wear the treads, and real hiking shoes for longer hikes. Objective....running shoes are for running don't wear them out our mishape them doing weird things and get fitted....likely you wont be able to wear the cool looking ones (if you're cursed like me) but at least you'll not be in pain :)
  • tpop917
    tpop917 Posts: 21 Member
    Also find a really good sports massage place. I would not make it through my training without mine and I'm a runner. But I'm training for Goofy, a little different.

I'd say a good 9 months if you have some running under your belt.

Your goal is to remain injury free and finish? Then take the training slow and easy as well as the marathon itself.

Good luck.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member

This.

Plus I have to ask, am I the only the only one that wonders why people take the goal of a full marathon so lightly? I have seen a few posts like this and I just don't understand. I've been running for almost a year now and my goal was to do a 1/2 marathon, which I did, but even so next year my goal is do a couple 1/2's and then a full in 2014. Maybe because I actually want to run the whole 26.2 miles and not just cross the finish line in the time allotted. Training for a marathon is time consuming and I've watched my friends go through it and it can be painful at times and sometimes just downright grueling. I would not say it is stupid if you love to run and set mini goals along the way and give yourself plenty of time, training and education. But to think it is a rather simple thing to do, that I might say is stupid.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I too am in the "why is everyone in such a hurry to slog their way 26.2 miles?" camp.

I can assure you, there is no magic to the distance. It is a long *kitten* way, even when you are properly trained.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    I too am in the "why is everyone in such a hurry to slog their way 26.2 miles?" camp.

I can assure you, there is no magic to the distance. It is a long *kitten* way, even when you are properly trained.

Agreed! But....if you're gonna do it....

Wish I would have waited (from a training perspective) as my first was a nightmare, but it gave me the bug.....and 18 marathons later, still glad I slogged through that first one. Now, if I could only catch the bug again....
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member

Agreed! But....if you're gonna do it....

Wish I would have waited as my first was a nightmare, but it gave me the bug.....and 18 marathons later, still glad I slogged through that first one. Now, if I could only catch the bug again....

I did it the other way, built my base and ran halfs for a couple years. My first one went pretty well (all things considered). I made some rookie mistakes (speeding up at mile 8 because I felt great...).