Too much protein?

Options
Is there such a thing as eating too much protein a day? (Within reason) My food log calls for 60 or so grams a day and I am getting up to 90 or so. Is this a good thing or a bad thing or does it even matter?

Replies

• Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney issues it's very hard to have too much protein.

This topic has been covered a lot of times before and it usually ends in an argument.

I aim for a minimum of 100gm a day, often it's around 140gm, that's what works for me, I feel happy at that amount (in fact I'm a grumpy cow without it- my husband will agree), and I've been steadily losing since July despite having pcos and being insulin resistant.

What you need to figure out is if it is too much FOR YOU, and the only way to do that is through trial and error and diligent logging.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Protein is important for many things - it's needed to build muscle, so if you're doing any sort of strength training then you need protein. It also helps you to feel full (satiety). The default settings on MFP are pretty low - anything up to 100g a day is absolutely fine, and many people aim to get even more than that. As long as you have no kidney problems, carry on!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, but going over the MFP amount isn't "too much."
  • NickLavato
    Options
    Most fitness info says .8 gr per lb of lean mass for a female and 1 gr per lean mass male. Protein helps the recovery process, therefor allowing you to workout harder more often.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    As the above poster said, unless you have kidney disease/kidney issues, you need not worry.

I'm 150 lbs and I usually get 100 - 125g a day.
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    Protein is important for many things - it's needed to build muscle, so if you're doing any sort of strength training then you need protein. It also helps you to feel full (satiety). The default settings on MFP are pretty low - anything up to 100g a day is absolutely fine, and many people aim to get even more than that. As long as you have no kidney problems, carry on!

this right here... I get 150-180g a day :laugh: ..... seriously
  • peanutswife
    peanutswife Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I love that I can ask and get answers so fast from the MFP community. Thanks again.
    Kristy
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I average 300g+ a day, true story.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    1-1.5 grams per pound will be healthy and enough for almost everyone. Anything above what the body needs to maintain, grow or recover will just be converted to energy and used or stored.

You can change your protein, fat, carb amounts under the goals section.
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love your name Peanutswife!
    I have just gone over my daily calory allowance because of my love for peanuts! and I only had 30 grams....

Being a veggie I have only a few sources for protein- peanuts being one. I don't go over often, but if I do, I don't worry about it. I always go over my sugars and am a little high on carb on a regular basis, but still managed to loose 37 pounds by just sticking to the calorie allowance.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There is more and more research building that suggests a high protein diet will reduce lifespan.

There is the kidney issue of your body having to process extra toxins.

But the lifespan research is actual about some other kind of effect protein has on your body. It basically puts it into overdrive. So you life fast and hard, but shorter.
    Alot of this new research is on animals, although they have identified some of the key hormones (a certain type of growth hormorne being one of them) that is increased with high protein diets in humans and that is associated with shortened lives in animals. The problem is the research hasn't gone on long enough to be able to run human experiments. However this should definitely be a red flag that there might be a detrimental effect of a high protein diet.

examples of this research include:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC50075/?tool=pmcentrez

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/10/25/3617851.htm

And it was part of this BBC documentary:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3ug4EaKb0

Having less protein seems to have cause the same longevity reaction as having a calorie restricted diet.

The Australian Government dietary guidelines say to have a maximum of 0.8g per kg of body weight. Also that is sufficient to build muscle.

So why risk it? 0.8g/kg is still quite a lot of protein. Certainly enough to feel satisfied.
    I go over that amount sometimes but try to even it out on other days so overal i'm having the recommended amount.

Since seeing all this research i've stopped taking any protien powder. It is easy enough to go over the amount with food alone.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

if you weigh 350 then good story

if you weigh less than 350, you have an expensive poop story

true story
  • magerum
    Options

true story

You mad? I prefer protein, don't have kidney issues, this meets my 35 - 40% protein on 3300 calories a day, & I can afford it. I don't get the hate.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

true story

You mad? I prefer protein, don't have kidney issues, this meets my 35 - 40% protein on 3300 calories a day, & I can afford it. I don't get the hate.

hate? I dont see any hate but that much protein is just not needed and the OP was curious as to what is too much. 300g is ok if you weigh 350. Otherwise, even if you can afford it, doesnt mean you should do it.
  • magerum
    Options

true story

hate? I dont see any hate but that much protein is just not needed and the OP was curious as to what is too much. 300g is ok if you weigh 350. Otherwise, even if you can afford it, doesnt mean you should do it.

Fair enough then, smart-*kitten* reply withdrawn :wink: