Raisin Bran BAD!

Options
2»

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi cereals, I usually have the Go-Lean or the Autumn Wheat. They have some protein (I think 13 g for the Go-Lean and 6g for the Autumn Wheat) and have fiber (6g for the Go-Lean and 7g for the Autumn Wheat), while being low in sugar (6g for Go-Lean and 7g for the Autumn Wheat).

Sometimes, I'll do fruit and yogurt sprinkled with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the Go-Lean.

Sometimes, I'll eat an apple and 20 almonds. Not quite as filling, but good for on the run. I'll just eat a snack between breakfast and lunch in this case.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    my dietian calls this her "ultimate power mix" it's really just a bunch of cereals mixed together so you get the good benefits from all of them

Combine one box each:
    Cheerios (10 oz)
    Grape Nuts (16 oz)
    Bite-Size Shredded Wheat (17.2 oz)
    Fiber One

1 cup = 170 calories 11g fiber 1.5g sugar 230mg sodium

It's really not bad......and honestly who woulda thought? lol

what about the carbs?
  • stephjohnny
    stephjohnny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Original cereal, 0 grams of sugar & 14 grams of fiber per 1/2 cup serving
  • angelaspring
    Options
    THANKS!! all these ideas are awesome!! This morning my boyfriend woke up early and made me a healthy breakfast:

3 egg whites
    1 eggo blueberry waffle (w/ low cal sugar free syrup)
    and turkey sausage

well i am sure i couldve done without the sugary eggo waffle but it was OHHH soo good and 3 hrs later i am still feeling full!!!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it suck! Raisin Bran is my favorite but my sugar allotment for the day is only 24 grams and one cup of raisin bran is already 19 grams of sugar but you know...I do need it for my fiber intake, thats why I eat it. Sometimes I do weight control oatmeal too...thats really good.
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Has anyone checked out the Wheaties Fuel? Just curious if it is as good as the name implies.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oats with some cottage cheese added (even tho cottage cheese is high in sodium). I'll have egg whites (high in protein) along with a fried egg.

My favorite cereal is Kashi GoLean. 1 cup has 140 caloires, 6g of sugar, and 13g of protein along with 10g of fiber. Yes, it has 30g of carbs, so I do try to balance this out with something high in protein. I wish there wasn't artificial sweetener in Fiber One, that's the only reason I don't eat it. I also like greek yogurt (high in protein). Don't get the flavored ones, get the plain and add your own honey or fruit. However, I have found Oikos brand to not be super-sweet.

Can you freeze steel cut oats after they are cooked? What are the ratios of water to oats if you make a crockpot full?
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    DON"T Throw out the Raisin Bran that quickly. If you compare it to the Bran Flake alternative from that manufacturer you will probably see a low sugar content. RAISINS are the culprit, they are very high in naturally occurring sugars and these are not bad. You want to stay away from refined sugars and corn and cane syrup, unfortunately the nutritional guide on the package throws all sugar in the same pot.

So i have been eating cereal for breakfast (1/2 cup of honey bunches of oats and 1/2 cup of crispy rice) but my trainer said i needed to incorporate more fiber so i went to the store and purchased raisin bran.. I ate it this morning and logged it in and was SHOCKED to find out it had 19 grams of SUGAR in 1 cup!!!! This is more than frosted flakes! can you believe that! What is your favorite cereal and why? I am looking to start my day with more fiber and protein.
  • lifeaccordingtolily
    Options
    my dietian calls this her "ultimate power mix" it's really just a bunch of cereals mixed together so you get the good benefits from all of them

Combine one box each:
    Cheerios (10 oz)
    Grape Nuts (16 oz)
    Fiber One

what about the carbs?

I didn't even think to ask but i totally will at my next class
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    funny, I don't usually eat cereal for breakfast because it always leaves me hungry an hour later.
    :grumble:
    me too
    It takes a LOT of cereal o fill me up & keep me from getting hungry, so I go for eggs instead.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal with raisins and a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon. I like to toss the raisins in while the oatmeal is very hot and still a little soupy, so they plump up and get extra yummy.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

Combine one box each:
    Cheerios (10 oz)
    Grape Nuts (16 oz)
    Fiber One

That actually sounds good as a cereal or even as a dry snack... almost like a trail mix- thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    So i have been eating cereal for breakfast (1/2 cup of honey bunches of oats and 1/2 cup of crispy rice) but my trainer said i needed to incorporate more fiber so i went to the store and purchased raisin bran.. I ate it this morning and logged it in and was SHOCKED to find out it had 19 grams of SUGAR in 1 cup!!!! This is more than frosted flakes! can you believe that! What is your favorite cereal and why? I am looking to start my day with more fiber and protein.

Did you check the ingredients? It's probably extremely high due to the natural sugars in the raisins. Regardless, commercial cereals are loaded with added sugar.

I rarely eat cereal for breakfast. I do love granola so I make it myself, that way I know exactly what goes in it and it's oh so yummy with yogurt and fruit.

Whole grain waffles are good too.

One of my faves for breakfast foods is an egg burrito. I scramble 2 eggs, with some spinach, peppers, red onion and spices and wrap it in a whole grain tortilla. Have some fruit on the side. It's super nutritious and filling and it fills me up until lunch. I have that for breakfast on my training days. Yummmmy :)
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This won't address the fiber, but I have recently started with 2 low cal cheese sticks (at least one of them a string cheese) and one serving of a thin sliced lunch meat (Oscar Mayer roast beef is 6 slices for 60 calories) the illusion of having a large meal is there if you eat each slice of meat slowly, one quarter of a slice at a time and then the slightest slivers of the cheese stick. it can take 10 to 15 minutes just to eat it, so my body thinks it has just gotten a large meal. The loads of protein keeps me full for a while and it only adds up to about 180 calories. I eat it in my car on the way to work. Just a thought!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You could always go for Cheerios. I eat Kashi Strawberry Fields. It's very similar to Special K red berries. No idea about the sugar content on the Kashi, but it is tasty!

I like to fix a breakfast sandwich: 1 scrambled egg w/3 egg whites, slice of light cheese, on a high fiber light english muffin. It is fast, easy, and filling (like 280 cals). It's my go-to breakfast several times a week!
  • jlw02
    jlw02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with fresh blueberries and a few walnuts sprinkled in....my favorite. It keeps me full too. But for cereal Frosted Miniwheats is my fav!