HEEEEEELLLLLLLLP!!

Options
I have no idea how to get started with a workout plan. i dont have the money to get a gym membership or I would and am frankly tired of the way I look. Any ideas on what I can do at home to get a jump start until I can afford to go to the gym?

Replies

• tpop917
    tpop917 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you have on demand? There are a bunch of work out videos there that you can do.

Run, granted you need running shoes, but other than that, it's pretty cheap. Until you get hooked, then it gets expensive and you fall in love with it.

Go on line and see if you can find some fitness videos on websites that don't require extra equipment.
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone look up work out apps. There are a bunch out there and many of them have things you can do at home.

Also there are some fun work out DVD's. I have 2 (I have not done them in awhile tho)...1 is a latin dance work out video the other is a hip hop work out video. These are fun to do at home and a good way to get in some cardio.

If you have a Wii or an Xbox... there are games to help workout. The Wii has Wii fit and just dance.(http://www.nutwiisystem.com/best-wii-exercise-games.html) The Xbox has work out games and dance central. (http://www.squidoo.com/best-fitness-games-for-xbox-360-kinect)

Hope this helps!
  • xEdoru
    Options
    Try to fit in exercises to your day. For example: squats while waiting for something to load or kettle to boil at home, marching on the spot while brushing your teeth, standing while watching TV...
    and there are millions of exercises to be found online. good luck :)
  • Pgg49
    Pgg49 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do prones, pushups, jumping jacks, crunches, and lunge walking are some things you can do at home. Hope this helps. : )
  • morah29
    morah29 Posts: 107
    Options
    walk... lot's of walking... :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Run. Run like the wind. Run like a small rodent escaping from a bird of prey.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Walk! Run! Jump rope! Do push ups!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Run. Run like the wind. Run like a small rodent escaping from a bird of prey.

This,

or http://bodyrock.tv

or exercise videos. There are many to choose from, usually very cheap. I found a Jillian Michaels 3-DVD bundle for $12 on one of those groupon-type sites, I think it was livingsocial.com
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I started with 30 day shred, only costs 10 bucks at walmart plus like 7 for some handweights
  • TriEli
    TriEli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer and nothing beats walking with adding in running intervals (3 min walk, 1 min run etc.) for working your way up to running which is about the cheapest form of cardio. For some great at home strength training programs check out www.about.com and look at their exercise section with Paige. Great stuff. Cheapest resistance equipment around are exercise bands. Get medium tension and a door mount ($20 for both). Next home suggestion is an exercise ball. I'm not a member of a gym (hate them) and try to avoid training people in them rather I train in their homes. I'm extremely fit although trying to lose 10 lbs to run a half marathon in January and so take it a bit easier on my joints. No I'm not skinny! Just a regular person.

Truly a gym is an unecessary expense. Pay for 3 in home personal training sessions and emphasise that you want to learn how to do it on your own and you are all set!

Best suggestion for good safe workout DVD's for newbies are any of the Prevention ones.

Last suggestion is the app Fitnessclass if you have an ipad. Very cheap workout (DVDs) streamed straight to your ipad. You can rent really fantastic ones for 30 days and then completely mix it up every month.

Good Luck!!!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to get started with a workout plan. i dont have the money to get a gym membership or I would and am frankly tired of the way I look. Any ideas on what I can do at home to get a jump start until I can afford to go to the gym?

I don't have a gym membership. What I've been doing is walking, at least an hour a day and doing 3 days of circuit training at home. I bought the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD for $2 on amazon.com and I love it. On a good day, I'll burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories a day doing just that.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    do you have a jump rope?
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You have some good suggestions here. I definitely endorse running/jogging. There are some really great couch to 5k (C25K) programs out there that help you build from walking to running. You'll totally get hooked if you can stick with it!

There are some really great workout dvd's out there too that range from more than reasonable to a significant investiment. I'm a huge fan of the Beachbody programs and have had the best results with those programs, others here do the Jillian Michaels programs.

I've seen some pretty intenst workouts through BodyRock.tv. Here you'l find all free workouts provided by the same couple who appear to be fitness finatics. Then there is tons of short workout programs offered on Pinterest.com as well.

Best wishes!
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    YouTube has lots of exercises. I would try them as well.
  • jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    The Library is a great resource for workout videos. Benefit is no out of pocket and you can mix it up every 2 weeks.

Walk, run,, walk,, then RUN,, then run more.

Eat less and move more!!
  • madworld1
    Options
    How about walking or running outside? I also use a lot workout dvds. I get mine at collage video (online). I can preview the vids and read reviews before I buy them. Although I haven't done it, it says that you can return them even if they are opened. So, I like that idea too. I also like Jeff Galloways 5k app. It's motivating.
  • madworld1
    Options
    The Library is a great resource for workout videos. Benefit is no out of pocket and you can mix it up every 2 weeks.

Walk, run,, walk,, then RUN,, then run more.

Eat less and move more!!

Oh yeah! I saw a bunch of workout dvds at the library the other day. Good idea.
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Most people don't use the gym to keep fit.

What sports did you used to do as a kid? Do you own a bike or good walking shoes?

Far better to get out there and do something than lament the inability to join smelly noisy people in a smelly noisy place :)
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Start with a walking plan, add in up and down the stairs and other areas in your neighborhood that are safe and terrain challenging. Find a friend to go with to keep you focused and motivated. Use one pound or heavier cans from the cupboards for weights when you get really going.

You really do not need the expense of gym for a while until you get into the routine and commitment of the work out.

Best of luck and no matter what: Keep moving!