Is it just me...

Options
I am trying to step up my fitness with a couple of Jillian Micheals DVDs, - I don't know if its the extra weight, or my particular shape, but I find floor exercises impossibly painful/uncomfortable in the sacral/coccyx area when I raise my legs. I have no problems with my back - and no pain generally. Is this normal or an out-of-shape issue? Do most people just use a cushion or is that bad for the alignment? Would appreciate any thoughts. :smile: Apologies if this has been asked before.

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    What you want is no space between your lower back and the floor - flatten it down, press your abs down. If you're doing leg raises, really try to use your abs (and even glutes) to lift. You can also limit your range of motion (eg lower legs from vertical to only 45 degrees, the nearer to the floor the more strain on the lower back, usually).

Sometimes for those kinds of exercises, I'll put my hands palm down on the floor, on either side of my coccyx** (I think mine *might* be a bit long) to distribute the weight more evenly, that helps.

**I do not mean in the hollow between the lower back & the floor - I mean under your butt cheeks, exactly on either side of your tailbone.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have a great deal of pain in that region when trying to do situps. I'm going to try to get a thicker mat and see if that helps at all. It just makes it almost impossible to do them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you on carpet or some type of mat? It could also be improper form. Whatever is causing it, I would not do those exercises if it causes pain.
  • hattie491145
    hattie491145 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you both - I will try both the pushing down - and see about a thicker mat - I carry a fair bit of my weight in that area and go in at the waist so hopefully as I lose weight this will even out and become easier :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    sounds brutal
  • hattie491145
    Options
    I am on a reasonably thin yoga style mat, hard floor underneath, no carpets :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't put anything to raise your pelvis when you are lifting your legs. You can modify exercises where you are on your back by either bending your knees so that your legs form a 90 degree angle. If you are ready to progress to doing the exercises with legs extended, just reduce the range of motion to start.

Here's an example...

Double leg lowers (lie on with legs extended directly up - then slowly lower legs until they are two inches above the floor) require significant core strength. If you don't have enough strength and try to complete the full move, it puts too much pressure on your back. If your lower back is coming up off the ground, that is an indicator that you should reduce the range of motion. You should lower your legs as much as you can while still contracting your abs and keeping your lower back pressed down onto the floor.

By acknowledging your ability level you will still get a great workout but will finish it in a safe manner to reduce your risk of injury. You will build strength and eventually do everything you want to! If there is a specific exercise you want to modify, describe it and I'll see if I can help. Feel free to PM me.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I broke mine (tailbone) years ago, and since I've lost 40lbs, it's more painful to do situps and many other floor type exercises. The only way I can work abs now is to use an exercise ball to cushion the tailbone, 'standing' situps with my bowflex and leg lifts in the pool.
    Don't let it get so irritated that you can't sit on it, as it takes a LONG time to heal.
    If it does get bad, buy a gel seat to sit on. Don't bother buying those donut cushions.. they are a waste of money.
    Good luck and I hope you can work out pain free soon!
  • LailaB123
    LailaB123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bought a twin-size bed foam topper thing and put that on top of the carpet - it helps cushion things for me. Don't give up, and good luck!
  • hattie491145
    Options
    Ooh good idea about the mattress topper! Thank you!
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    No, not just you. I have really really thin skin around that area and whenever I do certain pilates or yoga exercises it feels very sore and difficult (not actual pain just not a pleasant experience) so I am trying to find a yoga mat that is thick enough to eradicate this issue.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I too have difficulties doing leg lifts while laying flat on my back because they hurt my lower back due to my forward head posture. I roll up a towel and lay it accross where my lower back rests to give added support.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Do planks for a core workout and forget the sit ups. Sit ups aren't that effective and can actually be very hard on your back.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If, like me you have a lot of fat around the thighs and top of the bum it is quite difficult.
    The more weight lost the easier it gets, do it does get better.

Also as another said try and push this part of the back to the floor so theres no arch.