How Do I Account for Breastfeeding?

Options
I'm currently breastfeeding, and I feel like I should be taking in more calories than recommended, because of it. Could anyone suggest a way to account for it? Has anyone had to account for it?
On average, the typical woman burns 500 calories a day breastfeeding.
The range is 400-600 calories a day, burned.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    on your food log, search for breastfeeding....there are a bunch of different entries. choose one, and it will add that many calories back into your allotment
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Good question and congrats on breastfeeding! I did it for a year with both of my kids and not only was it great for them (and me), I also enjoyed the added benefit of it helping me to lose the baby weight.

It wasn't until I stopped nursing that I gained a few pounds. So, definitely keep track of it in your daily allotment so that you are reminded to adjust eating, exercising, etc. when you stop.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ditto what was said before. I log it under my food. I know some log it under exercise. You definetly want to get adequate calories while nursing or your milk supply will go down. If you want you can look at my food diary to see where I log mine (usually at breakfast). Congratulations on your baby and deciding to breastfeed!
  • myeyesarerocks
    myeyesarerocks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys this really helps :)