I never realized it was THAT bad! :(

Options

Replies

• Laffinhippiegurl
    Laffinhippiegurl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I slip up (and it happens. We are humans and not machines), I simply eat the rest of the day as normal. One day won't suddenly stop all of my progress and I KNOW I will feel worse later on when I am hungry and cranky.

This tends to be my outlook. So far it's working for me. Weight loss was honestly a by-product. Feeling better was my goal. I have a soon to be 11 year old daughter. I have a lot of firsts to be there for. I can't change 35 years of eating habits overnight. I take it one day at a time. If I fail today, beat myself up for 5 mins, eat something healthy and move on.
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My big eye opener was when I was meeting my husband for lunch so we had limited options and time. My choices were Carls Jr, Panda Express, Five Guys Burger and Fries and Quiznos. I thought a sandwich from Quiznos would be the healthiest option, I ordered the Mediterranean Chicken Wrap. It had chicken, garbanzo beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, and a little three cheese blend. I was feeling rather smug with all of my veggies while my husband plowed through a Prime Rib/Hollandaise sub. Karma bit my smugness in the **s when I got home and logged it. 1080 calories and 71 grams of fat. I was trying so hard to be good and I would have been better off caloriewise if I had gone and gotten a cheeseburger.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    You know what totally shocked me? Tim Hortons Timbits. I thought having 3-4 was not so bad an idea! Turns out it destroys like 1/4 of my daily total, depending on what type I pick. No more commercially baked stuff for this girl!

really? you couldn't tell by looking at them?

timbits2.jpg

fried balls flour, sugar, butter, egg coated in sugar + or - chocolate or jelly or custard filling (im guessing about the filling, but im guessing they're like dunkin donuts)

3 words: diabetes, Heart Failure.

I can understand getting tricked by something masquerading as healthy food, or something borderline like a chicken salad from mc donalds with 1000cals of mayo in it, but you got tricked by a DONUT!

if you see any of these guys, walk the other way... they're bad news.

mcdonaldland-live.jpg

its ok, I got tricked by balsamic vinaigrette.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary....its not the BK, its the OTHER stuff WITH the BK.

Make better choices and stop blaming the food, blame yourself for eating ALL of it.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    just the other day i decided to log everything i used to eat in a typical day and i was eating over 3,000 calories... and i wasnt even eating that much food...

its insane how fattening things are when youre not eating healthy
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options

Make better choices and stop blaming the food, blame yourself for eating ALL of it.

says the person who has his Diary locked, why not try to be supportive without being a jerk!

yoshinoya combo bowl 1190!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha and i used to put mayo on my rice!
  • nikilis
    Options

says the person who has his Diary locked, why not try to be supportive without being a jerk!

yah I agree the delivery is doucheladen, but the point is valid.

honey, you're eating way too much of the wrong food, every day.

for example:

Snacks
    Producers - Vanilla Ice Cream, 1/2 cup 130 15 6 2 40
    Hyvee - White Bakery Cake With Frosting, 0.05 th of a 1/2 sheet cake 310 50 12 4 440
    Generic - Pomagrante, 3 -/8" dia 105 26 0 2 5
    Weight Watchers - Giant Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Bar, 1 bar 100 24 1 4 70
    645 115 19 12 555

645 cals is a meal. you had a meal of ice cream followed by cake, pomegranates - ok but then more chocolate and icecream.

Snacks
    Kellogg's (Us) - Fiber Plus Antioxidants Chewy Bar - Chocolate Chip, 1.2 oz 120 26 4 2 55
    Skippy Peanut Butter - Creamy Peanut Butter, 4 Tbsp 380 14 32 14 300
    Weight Watchers / Smart Ones - Dark Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream Bar, 1 bar 80 12 5 2 25
    Hershey Dark Chocolate - Special Dark Chocolate Candy Bar (Whole Bar, 1.45oz), 1 bar 190 25 12 2 15
    875 103 53 22 400

- the pomegranate , the kellogs bar is alright, but 4 tablespoons or peanut butter + icecream + dark chocolate candybar is another meal of junk.

these are some examples, and some days are better than others, but:

you don't seem to eat more than one serving of fruit and vegetables a day and most days its none.

In the end you didn't ask for people to look at your diary and tell you how to improve it, i looked because I wanted to see your burger king breakfast, but your diet is not nutritionally balanced or healthy for the most part. in the end its up to you, but it would be better for your body and well being to swap some of the not so good stuff for healthier things.

plus if you eat balanced salads with vegetables and nuts you will get to eat more and be hungry less.

in the end you can loose weight just by eating a lower calorie diet, but you need to eat healthy foods to make it a healthy one.
  • kimmy_1432
    kimmy_1432 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yea I would eat a pizza and bread and not think anything of it. Now I realize that is 2-3 times my daily allotment! Also what surprised me were cheez its. I would grab handfuls of them and in fact did so when I first started MFP and was shocked at how many cals were in so little.

Opps... I'm snacking on some reduced fat cheezits right now:ohwell: I logged it though, and counted out the right amount.
  • ecoastie
    Options
    Logging my food has been hugely eye-opening for me. I remember getting a roasted tomato & caprese sandwich abouth the size of my hand--and it was over 600 calories! I knew about calories, but I never understood then within the context of my diet. Today I think of my daily allotment as similar to a bank account: I withdraw from the account throughout the day as I eat, although I make deposits in my account by buring through exercise. When I get into too many calories it is important that I forgive myself, learn from the experience, and get back on track.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    healthy dinner and fresh start tomorrow. No starving yourself tonight or tomorrow you'll be starving and back at BK.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    nvm
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

for example:

Snacks
    Hyvee - White Bakery Cake With Frosting, 0.05 th of a 1/2 sheet cake 310 50 12 4 440
    645 115 19 12 555

645 cals is a meal. you had a meal of ice cream followed by cake, pomegranates - ok but then more chocolate and icecream.

Snacks
    Kellogg's (Us) - Fiber Plus Antioxidants Chewy Bar - Chocolate Chip, 1.2 oz 120 26 4 2 55
    Weight Watchers / Smart Ones - Dark Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream Bar, 1 bar 80 12 5 2 25
    Hershey Dark Chocolate - Special Dark Chocolate Candy Bar (Whole Bar, 1.45oz), 1 bar 190 25 12 2 15
    875 103 53 22 400

- the pomegranate , the kellogs bar is alright, but 4 tablespoons or peanut butter + icecream + dark chocolate candybar is another meal of junk.

you don't seem to eat more than one serving of fruit and vegetables a day and most days its none.

In the end you didn't ask for people to look at your diary and tell you how to improve it, i looked because I wanted to see your burger king breakfast, but your diet is not nutritionally balanced or healthy for the most part. in the end its up to you, but it would be better for your body and well being to swap some of the not so good stuff for healthier things.

plus if you eat balanced salads with vegetables and nuts you will get to eat more and be hungry less.

in the end you can loose weight just by eating a lower calorie diet, but you need to eat healthy foods to make it a healthy one.

While I agree she's not making great food choices, but I'd disagree on which choices. Peanut butter and dark chocolate aren't that bad if you have the calories and macro's for them. In fact, the combo has protein, anti-oxidants, essential nutrients, proven health benefits, etc. Kellog's bars on the other hand are basically processed crap. But you're right that she definitely needs to eat more fruits, nuts, and veggies.

@the OP: you're making great progress, but try to slowly start changing your diet to eat more real foods and less overly processed stuff. Go for fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts, whole fat dairy, etc.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Make that two of us. I can't believe how many calories I used to eat on a daily basis before I started counting calories. It's insane. No wonder I was overweight...

Word!

But it is ok to indulge somtimes becuase this is a lifestyle change not a diet - all about moderation :)
  • nikilis
    Options

for example:

Snacks
    645 115 19 12 555

Snacks
    875 103 53 22 400

While I agree she's not making great food choices, but I'd disagree on which choices. Peanut butter and dark chocolate aren't that bad if you have the calories and macro's for them. In fact, the combo has protein, anti-oxidants, essential nutrients, proven health benefits, etc. Kellog's bars on the other hand are basically processed crap. But you're right that she definitely needs to eat more fruits, nuts, and veggies.

@the OP: you're making great progress, but try to slowly start changing your diet to eat more real foods and less overly processed stuff. Go for fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts, whole fat dairy, etc.

yep, I agree, peanut butter or dark chocolate and even icecream arn't bad, I think what I'm I'm trying to say is the lack of balance, and the shift towards healthy options, your last statement nails it

"eat more real foods and less overly processed stuff. Go for fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts, whole fat dairy, etc."

I concur good sir, concur.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    What on earth did you eat for breakfast that was 2000 calories and you can only eat something made of water with no nutritional value for dinner? And the diet Pepsi makes this whole "correct the situation" solution worse.. idgi

1/2 a sausage croissanwich, 1/2 a bacon crissanwich (bf & I split two different ones) small hash browns & a carton of orange juice. My calorie goal for the day is 1390 (MFP setting for losing 2 lbs a week)....and you are so right about the Diet Pepsi making things worse. It added to my already enormous sodium count and since I haven't had soda in over a month, contributed to the icky tummy feel.

Diet soda always upsets my stomach!

Oh well, lesson learned today on the calories. I try to be prepared before going to a fast food place. I look up the nutritional info. I can get by at Mcdonalds easy.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I never looked much at the nutritional value of what I was eating before now. I knew that a lot of stuff was probably "bad for you" but I never realized exactly how much I was consuming compared to how much I should be.

I just looked up some of the typical meals I would eat. Most were 2000-3000 calories for 1 meal!

At Sonic one of my go to meals (foot long cheese coney, onion rings, jalapeno poppers, and a rt 44 float) was almost 3000 calories! McDonald's I would easily eat 1800 calories in one sitting. And sometimes I went there three times a day!

So, I guess we all live and learn. When I go out to eat now, which is rare, I study the nutritional guides on my phone for every restaurant I go to before I get there, that way I know exactly what I'm getting and don't have a surprise when I get home.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Deep breath, tomorrow you can start over. Now you can armm yoursself with your new knowledge and make better choices. I would even go so far as to say it is an NSV that you dont go to BK several times a day anymore.:smile:
  • It's a teachable moment and tomorrow is a new day in which you get to begin again. Don't starve yourself though, just look at it as a teachable moment.
  • Gaseraki
    Options
    Even the 'healthy' food is really deceiving. I would eat a lot of cashew nuts after a workout thinking it was healthiest option. They arnt bad but raw calories was huge. 500 per 100 grams.
    Orange juice again lots of calories.
    Finally my biggest regret, flapjacks. Thinking they were a better option then a mars bar (240 calories) when they were close to 500 calories!
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    stop being ridiculous and eat something. you have to learn not to be afraid of food and that one bad meal isn't the end of the world.