can you still eat certain junk/fast foods and lose weight?

Options

Replies

• lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i had two grilled chicken breasts from KFC for 440 calories. 80g of protein :)
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I havent stopped eating anything, I still eat a candy if i feel like it, or a bite of chocolate, or cake when we have a bday, I went to Carls Jr the other day after 10 months and ate a hamburguer stealing french fries of my ´neighbor´..

So yes you can lose weight, as long as its not all the time, once in a while and moderation is the key.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know if it will be enough for your body to stay charged. Yes you can eat it all day and yes you can still loose weight but you will get sluggish and feel yuck after awhile! I used to eat it a lot and never realized how bad I was until I lost weight and was eating right! Holy Moly but I would start slow and start adding healthy snacks in between :) Good Luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You are 5'2" and trying to get down to 95lb?

Oh, and yes you can eat whatever you want - as long as you are at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. The more nutritiously dense your diet is, generally the healthier however.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie. What is your diet like?

Then what else is a calorie?
    haha thats funny!! I thought the same thing... I was very confused

Brittany,

Yes you can lose weight while incorporating some fast food into your diet. However, being on a calorie limit you will quickly discover that you'll be better off eating fast food "once in a while" since it will eat through your calorie allowance in a hurry.

Also, you should still pay attention to macronutrients (protein, carbs, fats). Often times a food item may fit your calorie allowance but not your macro allowance. You can still lose weight while disregarding macros but I wouldn't recommend it.

Here's something that's basically a generalization of sorts:

Calories ---> Change in weight.
    Macros
    > Change in body composition
    Micronutrients
    > Health

It is for this reason (among others) that you would not want to exclusively eat ice cream to reach your calorie limit.

EDIT: Also--- you should probably rethink your target weight. That's awfully low for your height.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    i had two grilled chicken breasts from KFC for 440 calories. 80g of protein :)
    yummy I didnt know they sold grilled chicken breast at KFC! I usually ate crispy.. also do they have that bone on it or no?... and 440 for 2 is great ......
  • monastempletransformed
    Options

how they are stored in your body or used
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Can you eat these things and be under your calorie goal and still lose weight? im 5'2 and i get 1200 calories a day... will I still lose some weight? I am a junk food addict and trying to help myself... that is why I am here, also to hopefully lose 10 pounds but my main idea is to stop eating junk/fast food because its controlling my life and I get in the worse mood if I dont get any and take the anger out on others.... So I been doing baby steps .... Alot better when I first started 3 days ago though!!

I'm 5'1" and still everyone is different.

All it takes is a calorie deficit. It really is about calories. I tell people this all the time and they say "Well if calories are all that matter why do you eat so clean???!!" Well, because it makes me feel better, sleep better, and perform better at my sports.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

At 5’2” a healthy weight range will be 101 – 131 Lbs. You won't really know what's good until you get there.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Macronutrients have different functions but it doesn't make 1 calorie not equal to 1 calorie. It is a measure of energy, that is all.
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    You can.
    All about moderation.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Try making some of your favorite fast foods at home with healthier ingredients. For example, I make cheeseburgers with lean beef, low-fat cheese, and those thin whole grain buns. Add lettuce and tomato, and YUM! Sara Lee makes a whole grain bun that looks and tastes pretty much like a regular white hamburger bun - try those.

Good luck! There's nothing wrong with having fast food once in a while, but too much of it and you won't feel your best.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes and generally I feel just fine for it, too.

However, generally for me it's more on top of other food and I incorporate exercise which burns it off.
    At a whole large bar of 'Galaxy Cookie Crumble' as part of a 5000 calorie binge last month.
    Also cycled 49 miles and ran over 7 miles that day, leading to a total calorie burn of 6000 calories, so all was good!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

So what exactly is a calorie then? Iz it a cookie?
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    Can you eat these things and be under your calorie goal and still lose weight? im 5'2 and i get 1200 calories a day... will I still lose some weight? I am a junk food addict and trying to help myself... that is why I am here, also to hopefully lose 10 pounds but my main idea is to stop eating junk/fast food because its controlling my life and I get in the worse mood if I dont get any and take the anger out on others.... So I been doing baby steps .... Alot better when I first started 3 days ago though!!

I'm 5'1" and still everyone is different.

All it takes is a calorie deficit. It really is about calories. I tell people this all the time and they say "Well if calories are all that matter why do you eat so clean???!!" Well, because it makes me feel better, sleep better, and perform better at my sports.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

At 5’2” a healthy weight range will be 101 – 131 Lbs. You won't really know what's good until you get there.
    and I do have a low thyroid and even the medicine has had no change to my weight just my mood... so yes... Do you think 1200 is to much or to little?..... I also never exercise, have very tiny legs but a little pudge belly sort of.... and some arm fat.. but I am still 105 pounds....,
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

If one is eating at a deficit, how does a calorie from each macronutrient differ?
  • t_nikki
    Options
    it is harder when you only have 1200 calories to work with.

I DO eat fast food on occasion. A Wendy's single ( with cheese)with the top bun removed is about 530 calories. A full sized apple pecan chicken salad ( one dressing) is 500 calories. A chipotle burrito bowl is almost 700 calories! Most of the time I don't eat the fries...and Friday I made the mistake of ordering a milkshake--half of a regular shake was almost 400 calories!
    mmmm I love that salad from wendys!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    Try making some of your favorite fast foods at home with healthier ingredients. For example, I make cheeseburgers with lean beef, low-fat cheese, and those thin whole grain buns. Add lettuce and tomato, and YUM! Sara Lee makes a whole grain bun that looks and tastes pretty much like a regular white hamburger bun - try those.

Good luck! There's nothing wrong with having fast food once in a while, but too much of it and you won't feel your best.
    ok I will try that.. yummy.....
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    My diary is open.. take a look. i eat pizza, i drink beer.. i cheat every single saturday.. but i dont "diet" i eat the absolute same as always.. i just use portion control.

YES, i eat more salads than before.. and YES i have a ton more fresh fruit.. but ill be damned if im going to eat like a rabbit the rest of my life, so i have learned how to eat a large salad before a meal.. or eat extra veggies and less potatos or rice.

Im not going to eat salad for a year then deicde i cant do that anymore & gain all my wait back.. screw that! Im doing this for life.

Eating "green" isnt for me, so if i wanna lose weight and not gain it back, i have to find out what works FOR ME.. and thats what im doing.

Send a request and if you wanna chat, let me know! :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would actually suggest that you eat at maintenance or a very slight deficit and focus on body composition - strength train.