Making food stamps last

Options

Replies

• LilMissImperfect
    Options
    Me and my ex-bf get only $350 a month for food stamps for BOTH of us. And it's almost impossible to make it work for the entire month, especially with healthy food which of course is more expensive than cheap processed crap. Most the time we have to dip into our savings/paychecks, get help from his parents, A couple months in a row i even just bought a months worth of slim fast ($40 each month) simply because we just didnt have the money for food. Seriously messed my stomach up drinking that stuff for that long.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Buy bulk beans, rice, etc. Make big pots of chili beans and rice pilaf for cheap
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Me and my ex-bf get only $350 a month for food stamps for BOTH of us. And it's almost impossible to make it work for the entire month, especially with healthy food which of course is more expensive than cheap processed crap. Most the time we have to dip into our savings/paychecks, get help from his parents, A couple months in a row i even just bought a months worth of slim fast ($40 each month) simply because we just didnt have the money for food. Seriously messed my stomach up drinking that stuff for that long.

I'm sorry, but this just seems like a complaint from someone being helped out. Why not be grateful for the $350 you didn't have to spend out of your pocket, and possibly look at this forum thread as a good way to get ideas, rather than complain. I don't want to seem harsh, but I do think you may need to rethink your attitude on this. It's a gift, or it sure seems like one to me.
  • tetecia
    tetecia Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but this just seems like a complaint from someone being helped out. Why not be grateful for the $350 you didn't have to spend out of your pocket, and possibly look at this forum thread as a good way to get ideas, rather than complain. I don't want to seem harsh, but I do think you may need to rethink your attitude on this. It's a gift, or it sure seems like one to me.

Seriously. I don't understand how you can complain about getting $350 help from the government. $350 for 2 people is actually a decent amount of food stamps. We have 4 people in our family and we get ~$440 and we make that work. There are loads of ways of making it work. In my post i mentioned numerous places you can do to shop for food and save LOADS of money. You just have to be willing to go to more than one store. With this being the USA, the government can easily decide to raise the bar for monthly income for a household of 2 and kick you off. We don't buy processed Crap, i cook all my meals and we have everything STOCKED. Perhaps your shopping habits and your attitude is what need to change.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Buy real food and cook it yourself. It's way cheaper to buy rice, beans, frozen veggies, than it is to be prepared or boxed foods. Shop sales, learn to eat things that are on sale. Living on a tight budget often means making concessions to not having all the treats that you like. Just eating less is a big help!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It's extremely difficult to make them last! I usually run out a week before they come in every month. Still, I make sure to buy fruits and veges every time I go to the store. Frozen vegetables are cheaper, so I buy a lot of them. If you want to eat healthy and make these changes, you will find a way! :wink:
  • brownmara
    brownmara Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals around what's on sale. I shop with coupons and only buy sale items. I buy dry beans and make a large batch and add them to every meal. I shop every week and only buy what I need for my meals that week. I always make a big pot of soup every week. I use leftover vegetables and about 1 to 2 servings of meat (skinless chicken or turkey breast, 90% ground beef), also put in at least 2 different beans. My family loves my soups because they are so filling. Every week the soup is different because of the meals I make. With some thrifty shopping and some creative meal planning you will be able to stretch you food stamps. Good Luck and Happy Shopping!
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I guess I should add that I work 35-40 hours per week at $4 an hour plus tips (delivery driver for Pizza Hut). Also, my son has autism and SPD and a specialized diet which can cost between $20-$30 per day which is the main reason our stamps don't last very long. We don't have an aldi or trader joe or any thing like that where we are so that's a no go. You have all given me some greats tips though so I thank you.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am not on food stamps because my husband and I dont qualify but we have been very close, and even though we arnt on food stamps we are on a budget for food. Thank you for starting this thread as I have gotten some good tips.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    not on food stamps, thank the good Lord because it means i have a job in this crazy economy. i appreciate this thread too. it's offered me some nice tips. Thanks!!

Um...most people on FS have jobs.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I buy for two weeks at a time, and split it in half. I always clip coupons. I always shop at Wal-mart. They price match if you bring the other ads.

Sometimes I have some left over :embarassed:

I usually save $25-$75 a trip in sales and coupons.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I only get $50. The things I do are:

1. Only buy what you need when you need it - No need to rack and stack because the item will :
    a. Be back on sale in 2-3 months and
    b. you end up not needing it all (ex. my father once bought 100 dollars worth of canned vegetables. We only ate $10 dollars worth over three years and the rest created clutter and were eventually thrown out)

2. Shop around - Stores like Aldi's and Save a Lot are great because they have great quality generic products at very affordable prices.

3. Sometimes You Don't need bulk - Sometimes you cost yourself if you buy in bulk. The produce is just the same as a regular supermarket, Do you really need a giant box of Wheat Thins?

Number 3!! On the shelf tags, it tells you price per ounce (usually in the top left corner in a different color box). ALWAYS READ IT! For example, spiral macaroni is 50 cents a box. Elbow is 60 cents a box, however there is a 2 1/2 ounce difference in the two boxes. That does matter!! I do this with toilet paper and laundry soap and everything. It really helps. Sometimes the brand names are "cheaper" per ounce than off brands. Sometimes bigger boxes cost more per ounce for the same product.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    This is not a debate about food stamps so don't make it one. For those who are on food stamps (for whatever reason), how do you make them last the entire month while still eating healthy? Do you have some sort of system that you use? Certain types of food? TIA!!

They are not meant to be your ONLY source of food. Food stamps are meant to SUPPLEMENT.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

You and your ex get more in food stamps than I have to spend for me and my 3 children. It can be done, you need to shop a little wiser.

OP, I'm not on food stamps, we don't get them in the UK but I do have a very tight budget. I make meals with ingredients that are seasonal and cheap so last week for example we had pumpkin soup, pumpkin curry and a pumpkin bake. This week's menu contains a lot of butternut squash.

Go to the shops, make a note of what's on offer then come home and do a full week's plan of what you're going to eat based on that then go back and buy the ingredients.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm doing IF diet so 3 days a week I only eat one meal. It helps me lose weight and spend less on grocery.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I guess I should add that I work 35-40 hours per week at $4 an hour plus tips (delivery driver for Pizza Hut). Also, my son has autism and SPD and a specialized diet which can cost between $20-$30 per day which is the main reason our stamps don't last very long. We don't have an aldi or trader joe or any thing like that where we are so that's a no go. You have all given me some greats tips though so I thank you.
    This has pretty much shut up all the people talking against food stamps.

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.
  • InPieces3
    Options
    This has pretty much shut up all the people talking against food stamps.

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.

As it should. I get so tired of hearing how people on food stamps are using the system. I work full time, and don't make enough. I have always worked, but I have kids to feed and no child support. (another subject) So, for those that make the assumption people that are on food stamps and don't work is wrong.
    There are 4 of us and I get $393....and I make it last. I stretch it. With kids it seems to go faster because they love to eat, but I have found that Walmart is pretty awesome. (at least here it is) I swear I go in, load the cart up with food and only spend $250 by the time I go out. I actually like it better than save a lot and Aldi's. I have found their fruit and frozen veggies to be nicely priced. I also save a little (like $100) on the card for the items I may need here and there like lettuce/carrots/fruit/milk for the kids.

It is hard working for only small bucks and trying to raise a child or children. ((especially if you are doing it alone)) Some of us are not fortunate to have a husband/boyfriend to help us, and it is over-whelming sometimes. My heart goes out to you OP and having a child with autism is even more difficult. I will be praying for you and your child. No shame in food stamps, you are not abusing the system, it is there to help you. At your job there is no way you can feed you and your child on that. :(
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from the UK and now live in New Zealand - of which neither place has food stamps.

To be honest I think they're a good idea and the UK could learn a thing or two from that system as could NZ. Both places allocate state benefits in money rather than vouchers and in some places people use the money not for good things like food, but for cigarettes and alcohol which I think is wasteful. At least with food stamps they're there for a purpose. I speak as a (very) broke grad student living on my own on a scholarship (which has temporarily been stopped) so I always have to live very cheaply. NZ could do with having a little more social responsibility to help people in need - they really DON'T help you here.

I'm not sure what the climate is like where you are or if you have a yard, but you could cut down a few costs by growing some of your own veggies. I grow chillies, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers etc here (I'm in a shared student house with a very small outside area). It's easy to make a raised bed and grow things in small quantities :)

Other than that I guess I echo what everyone else has said - I also look for the reduced section in the supermarket (when things are near their use by date) and stock up my freezer that way.
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am not on food stamps but I still have to budget my food. I can only spend $100/week on groceries and that is for 3 people in my household. I have learned that planning meals ahead of time is helpful and I don't get off track on shopping. I buy only what I need and don't buy something just because it has a coupon. I don't eat much beef, usually lots of chicken and ground turkey. I have learned that a full chicken is cheaper than a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts. I can buy a whole chicken for about $5.00, bake it then pick off the rest of the meat and make a huge pot of chicken and dumplings (both very cheap to make!)

I cook my daughter breakfast every morning and use eggs, egg whites and turkey sausage (cheaper than buying boxes of cereal and healthier too) lunch is usually a lunch meat sandwich with some avocado, dinner I made a large meal that will last a few days. You can make it work you just have to try a lot harder...good luck