Substituting Applesauce for Oil

Options
Well I'm making my mom a Carrot Cake for her Birthday-- I do this every year, its her favorite. I've heard that you can substitute applesauce for the oil? Is this true, and what kind of ratio would I use?? Any help would be appreciated!

Oh-do I need to strain it? I bought some, its generic applesauce, original smooth recipe.

Replies

• supercool111
    Options
    Yeah thats a really good substitute for baking I think. I'm nearly sure it is a 1:1 ratio. Also I would go for smooth applesauce over chunky.
  • cjddiscover
    Options
    I do it all the time -- works fine. I use sauce that's not too wet - if it is just drain it alittle. Sometimes I substitute cooked pumpkin for oil -- also keeps baked goods lowfat but moist. I use a 9 inch square pan instead of loaf pan -- it cooks throughout a little better without the height of the loaf. Also test with a toothpick -- it may take alittle longer to bake. Good luck!!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I use applesauce in my brownies!
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i did not know this!!!! i am defintly going to try this. thanks ya'll for sharing!!!!
  • hHeidih
    hHeidih Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i do this in all my baking...just use the same amount of applesauce as you would oil. also use egg whites instead of whole eggs. most recipes tell you how many egg whites to use, but it is generally one more than if u used whole eggs....so if recipe calls for 3 eggs, use 4 egg whites...good luck!!! :)
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I learn something everyday around here. Thanks for the info and tips.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i'm baking a chocolate cake today and using a can of diet pepsi instead of the eggs and oil. it's delish. top it off with light cool whip!

i got that recipe from weight watchers a long time ago.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    I do this substitution all the time. It is a 1:1 ratio. Yes, go for the smooth, not the chunky (unless you like chunks of apple in your cake, maybe in an apple cake but carrot?)

Another thing you can do if you like pumpkin is substitute the pumpkin for the oil, eggs, and water that are called for on the box mix. I usually do this with spice cake mix and you can't tell the pumpkin is in there! I've used the pumpkin in brownie mix. They were very gooey, but you could detect a hint of the pumpkin flavor.

I just learned this recipe and think it's really good. Take a box of angel food cake mix. Instead of the water put in a 20oz can of crushed pineapple. Angel food cake can sometimes be so "bland" but the pineapple gives it a little bit of a kick.

Happy baking!
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    angel food cake with diet strawberry or cherry 7Up is awesome too!!!
  • Candiceg13
    Options
    I tried the applesauce for the 1st time last night and oh yeah, it works!!!!! I didn't tell DF and when he cut himself a huge piece, I was watching his reaction...he said "when are you gonna frost it?"

I so cannot tell the difference...