Might be silly...

Options
So, when I click the complete this entry button; it says I will be such & such weight in 5 weeks... I try for no more than 1000 cals per day.. But is this accurate; cause people are saying if you don't eat enough you plateau or stop loosing?

Replies

• Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    1000 calories is not enough for your body to function on a daily basis. Your body will go into starvation mode and your body will hoard any calories/fat you give it so in the short run you may lose weight but in the long run you will put back on the weight and more.

1200 calories is the least you should be having on a daily basis, the odd day of eating below this will not do too much harm but is unhealthy in a regular basis.

If you already do cardio at the gym add in some weights and resistance work too, as building muscle helps you to lose weight.

Hope this helps xx
  • pawprint061
    Options
    You need to eat more than 1,000 calories a day. MFP usually sets it no less than 1,200 calories. You can go into starvation mode and gain weight and end up doing more harm to your body.
  • sblades
    sblades Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi Nikki - yes this is true, most people don't perform well or aren't able to lose weight without a basic amount of calories. It's not a silly question though - its a real issue! Check out some of the threads on here, search for "starvation mode" "plateau" "too few calories" - that kind of thing, and you'll read about what your body needs to be able to efficiently work at losing weight.
    Most suggestions on here say that you shouldn't net much less than 1250 calories in a day. If you go below some days, that's not a huge deal, but if you consistently eat 1000 calories every day, you might not be getting the nutrition you need.

Good luck in your journey!

Sarah
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is never enough for a woman!!! Yikes. You need to eat more. Especially if you are exercising also. That "you will be x number of pounds" if you eat like today is just an INDICATOR as to how much you are eating. Your daily nutritional range keeps changing from day to day. I eat at least 1350-1400 calories daily and am still losing weight...please eat at least 1200 calories as a minimum even if you are NOT exercising. Your body will not function on 1000 calories for too long, especially in the long run!
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    :happy: Go to settings - fill out the diet/fitness section accurately and truthfully and eat the amount of calories it tells you. Go for the recommended weight loss per week aswell (mine was 2lb a week) and stick to it. Will be much easier to maintain the lifestyle change and you will be more likely to succeed.

Also the others are right about starvation mode... break your daily calories up into 5 small meals and eat one every 3 hours.

your metabolism will be maintained at a higher rate and will help your BMR.

you'll have more energy and won't crave snacks...and your overall health should improve....

good luck and enjoy eating some more food (healthily) :happy:
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but here is what I've experienced in the past (this time i'm being very careful to be heatlhy). If you don't eat enough, your body is missing calories to be able to functions and will go in starvation mode which may slow you down. Plateau are part of life unfortunately. For example, when you start exercising, if you use weight/strength training, you'll tone some muscles and this may look like your not loosing because the scale might not move much, but if you measure yourself as well or just go with how you fit in your clothes, you'll notice that you still continue to shed the inches.

One trick that works for me, is that I decided that I was in there for the rest of my life. Not the loosing part, but after that will come the keeping it off part. So I'm in no rush and don't have any time goal but my objective is not to gain (plateauing is OK in my book). I'm aiming morefor changing my lifestyle then just going on a diet to loose the pounds for a certain period of time.

Best of luck in your journey
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    :happy: Go to settings - fill out the diet/fitness section accurately and truthfully and eat the amount of calories it tells you. Go for the recommended weight loss per week aswell (mine was 2lb a week) and stick to it. Will be much easier to maintain the lifestyle change and you will be more likely to succeed.

Also the others are right about starvation mode... break your daily calories up into 5 small meals and eat one every 3 hours.

your metabolism will be maintained at a higher rate and will help your BMR.

you'll have more energy and won't crave snacks...and your overall health should improve....

good luck and enjoy eating some more food (healthily) :happy:

tHANKS!
  • caroldavis
    Options
    You really do need to eat more then 1000 Calories, you will put your body into starvation mode. Did you get calucated right?
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    YES, i JUST DONT EAT ALL MY CALORIES..
  • princessbee728
    Options
    Sure, there may be some days where I have to add in an extra snack to get to where I should be calorie-wise, but I always make sure to hit at least my baseline calorie mark - your body needs food to function, and without the right amount of nutrition, your body goes into starvation mode, like everyone said. Grab a handful of cashews, or have some crackers with a little peanut butter to bump your calorie intake to where it should be!
  • nikkie77
    nikkie77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend going under 1200, the diary says that to me if I click on it right after logging my breakfast but I know I could never survive that way.