Over on protein??

Options
Hi all :drinker:

Just wondered if there is a down side to having more protein than my daily allowance?
I always stick within my fat, calorie and carbs target but a few times now i have been over on protein? Could this be a problem if i have too much? Im a bit confused as to why too much protein could be a bad thing?

Any advice or opinions welcome :bigsmile:

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    This topic has been asked about many times so you may want to use the search function to read the posts.
    MFP has protien amounts set low in my opinion so if you are using the default setting, I wouldn't worry about going over unless you currently have kidney problems.
    Protein is great for the muscles and helping you feel fuller.
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - I eat a lot of meat.

I'm also doing resistance training - aiming for 3-5 sessions a week. I'm trying to build lean muscle and burn fat. A lot of sites amd resources say this is impossible. Not looking to become a massive body builder - want a lean physique - althetic.

be interested to what people have to say... protein is essential though for repairing tissue and creating new tissue. I think you excrete most of the protien that you can't assimilate (in your urine) - this right people?

:huh:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - I eat a lot of meat.

I'm also doing resistance training - aiming for 3-5 sessions a week. I'm trying to build lean muscle and burn fat. A lot of sites amd resources say this is impossible. Not looking to become a massive body builder - want a lean physique - althetic.

be interested to what people have to say... protein is essential though for repairing tissue and creating new tissue. I think you excrete most of the protien that you can't assimilate (in your urine) - this right people?

:huh:

Yes this is right. At any one sitting, your body can use only about 30g of protein. The rest makes for expensive urine... lol This is info from my dietician. She's got me eating about 25% protein, 30% fats, and 45% carbs.
  • RachelJoyce
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys:smile:

Ive just done a search and seems to me most people think the protein is set too low on here and going over doesnt really do much harm :wink: so im not going to worry too much about being a little over some days :laugh: