Knee Pain with 30 Day Shred

Options
I did a quick search on other posts about knee pain but I couldn't really find any that pertained to what I am experiencing. I have bad knees due to 4 years of marching band. I have recently started doing the 30 day shred. I am on day 9. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of what I can do for knee pain. It is only in my right knee. It has gotten worse since I have started the shred, but I am hoping to get solutions other than stopping the Shred because I really want to finish. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have only done Day 1, but I noticed that my "bad" knee was very sore afterward. Have you tried a neoprene knee brace? Maybe they just need a little more support during the cardio part.
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do you take glucosamine with msm? It's helped me with knee pain. 1500 mgs/day of each. Sadly, I have to avoid squats and lunges as well.
  • tbullock11
    tbullock11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As of right now I have not taken anything for me knee or boughytany braces. I will definitely try a brace and some type of meds! Thanks
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A knee brace sounds like a good idea as well as making sure your shoes are supportive. My knees were pretty sore. I just soaked in the tub and they started feeling better. You could try lower impact activities instead (I know the jump roping hurt pretty bad so i did a jog in place sometimes). FWIW, my knees pretty much quit hurting.
  • wick09
    wick09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The week I did 30ds it hurt, then I started doing bits and pieces here and there without shoes and no pain. IDK why
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I tore a ligament in my knee years ago and have to be really careful with it, and it really flared up during 30DS. My knee makes almost a crunching sound when I down stairs now.

I still do the dvd but I just skip out the jumping parts. Yes, it's not as intense a workout, but I'd rather that than cause myself an injury.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my right knee and I started the 30DS 11 days ago. I've got a knee support bandage type thing that helps a lot. Pain killers, hot-tub, massage and ice packs all help as well :bigsmile: I also don't do the 'Easy' versions because they mostly are a modified kneeling version and this presses on my knee and hurts a lot :sick: I would rather take the agony of doing the hard version :sad:

Other than that, just be very careful when doing the squat and lunge exercises. Make sure you are using the correct forms. Listen to what Jillian says about not letting the kneee go over the toes etc etc.

If it starts to become too much though, then swap to a low impact workout is all I can suggest.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    The week I did 30ds it hurt, then I started doing bits and pieces here and there without shoes and no pain. IDK why
    i did the whole 30ds with no shoes. also had no knee pain. maybe we're onto something?

also OP, anytime i felt like skipping a day, i did. i don't see why people stress doing it in exactly 30 days. sometimes my body wants a break and i take it. better than injuring myself, is how i see it.
  • tbullock11
    Options
    . Pain killers, hot-tub, massage and ice packs all help as well :bigsmile: IIf it starts to become too much though, then swap to a low impact workout is all I can suggest.

Thanks! Those remedies sound very helpful
  • tbullock11
    Options
    why
    [/quote]
    i did the whole 30ds with no shoes. also had no knee pain. maybe we're onto something?

also OP, anytime i felt like skipping a day, i did. i don't see why people stress doing it in exactly 30 days. sometimes my body wants a break and i take it. better than injuring myself, is how i see it.
    [/quote]

Maybe i will need to try it without shoes..and allow myself some more rest days. Thanks for the advice
  • tbullock11
    Options
    A knee brace sounds like a good idea as well as making sure your shoes are supportive. My knees were pretty sore. I just soaked in the tub and they started feeling better. You could try lower impact activities instead (I know the jump roping hurt pretty bad so i did a jog in place sometimes). FWIW, my knees pretty much quit hurting.

Thanks for the suggestion of switching to lower impact activities. Thank you
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS without shoes, but did get a very sore knee. I was aware my knees are bad, so I only did the Shred 3 days a week, but I still had to give up after 12 days because of the pain :(
    I've been doing the sit ups and weight exercises separately this week, together with some lower impact cardio. I know the strength training on it's own doesn't provide as much of a burn as the weight training+squats, but it's the best I can do.

I'm hoping to go back to the shred at a later point, perhaps when I'm not classed obese any more so I don't have so much weight putting pressure on my knees. Sorry, I realise this post isn't much help, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone..
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    30DS is very tough on the knees. I had posted an article about it in another thread a while ago called "30 Day Shred Dropouts". I ended up having to go to PT to get my kness back in shape.. I am a runner as well. If your knees don't get better in a few days see your Dr. There are exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles that prevent knee injury.

Also, the JM30DS is NOT meant to be done in 30 days straight as the name suggests. You do need recovery time. This came from Ms. Jillian Michaels herself in an interview. She recomends 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, rest, repeat.

Hope this helps.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have been having knee pain with 30DS as well. Two things.

1. Take days in between 30DS as a recovery day. Go for a long walk instead.

2. I switched from the jumping jacks to jogging in place while waving my arms. It looks silly, but I still get the cardio of the jumping jacks without putting too much pressure on my knee.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I have also been doing the 30DS while barefoot and my knee hurts, but definitely agree on the rest days. People who say they you are *supposed* to do it 30 days "in a row" are clueless. Click the ignore button on those people. :wink:

I did ten days of 30DS level 1 in October and started level two in November. I did no cardio other than 30DS in October except a few days of walking. I still lost 5% of my body fat and the most inches I have ever lost, even with taking an inordinate number of rest days.
  • chigau_me
    Options
    My doctor told me to skip jumping when i do 30ds, replace it with some other exercise that doesn't hurt knees ...
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    I had to give up 30ds for that reason. I loved it! But my knee was so sore afterwards that I was unable to do more workouts later in the day. Funny, I do Taebo almost everyday with no knee pain. I had surgery on one knee a few years ago, I may need it on the other knee in the near future. They have so many good workout dvd's that don't hurt the already "bad" knee.
  • tbullock11
    Options
    30DS is very tough on the knees. I had posted an article about it in another thread a while ago called "30 Day Shred Dropouts". I ended up having to go to PT to get my kness back in shape.. I am a runner as well. If your knees don't get better in a few days see your Dr. There are exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles that prevent knee injury.

Also, the JM30DS is NOT meant to be done in 30 days straight as the name suggests. You do need recovery time. This came from Ms. Jillian Michaels herself in an interview. She recomends 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, rest, repeat.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this. I think I will try that new schedule!
  • tbullock11
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it. I think I will continue the 30ds just only a couple days a week and then get a knee brace also
  • Alisha_Joy
    Alisha_Joy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did Day 1 today and holy knee strain Batman! It does hurt your knees and I have no previous issues but I am going to stick with it