Clueless about strength training!

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been a regular at the gym, doing the elliptical and occasionally running outside, but I am wanting to add strength training to my workouts. The only problem is, I am absolutely clueless. I go to Planet Fitness, and the meat-head guys are kind of intimidating - I don't want to stand there with my 2 lb. dumbbells getting in everyone's way!

Where do I even start? Any resources for a complete beginner?

Also feel free to add me, I'm looking for new friends to keep me motivated to stay moving.

Jen

Replies

• cheffernan1990
    cheffernan1990 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump and found it a great starting point as it incorporates cardio and weights and you add more weight as you get stroner. It has toned me massively!
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    You just have to go in determined and go for it. Meatheads won't bite...lots of them are actually very nice and helpful.

I would suggest googing a routine for beginners and trying it out.
  • SimpleThingsInLife
    Options
    I too, began working out on the cardio equipment. I watched those "meatheads" walk around and it intimidated me as well. But I knew I needed to get my butt in the weight lifting rooms. I am now a "meathead" in progress. :happy: I love lifting weights. I enjoy those guys. They are helpful, funny, and nice. My suggestion is to find some videos on youtube, for proper form, and start light. Get the form correct, and move up each week. If you can find a person to help spot you, that would be beneficial as well.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    As a former body pumper- if you're looking for muscle gains, body pump isn't the answer. It's more cardio based than strength training. Light weight for large amounts of reps will not build muscle, it builds endurance and burns calories.

My advice is go to bodybuilding.com - there are tons of workouts you can print and take with you to the gym. They also have videos of almost any lift you can imagine so you can learn it before you go to the gym, and have the correct form once you're there. They have beginner workouts all the way through pro body-builder programs. I've been cycling between 3 diff't programs from the site for the last year, and I've seen HUGE improvements.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Get Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe. Both the book or ebook and DVD for form. All you need and more to get started.
    Also, this info will help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength

Stronglifts 5x5

New Rules of Lifting for Women

You go to PF, I thought they outlawed meatheads? Tell them to GTFO your way. You have work to do.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My advice is go to bodybuilding.com - there are tons of workouts you can print and take with you to the gym. They also have videos of almost any lift you can imagine so you can learn it before you go to the gym, and have the correct form once you're there. They have beginner workouts all the way through pro body-builder programs.

This. Absolutely. And if you really want to do strength training for overall improvement, and not just to look good in a bikini (although overall improvement will help there, too!) - make sure you look for compound exercises, as opposed to simple isolation exercises. You can add in some isolation, but - given overall improvement - you'll want mostly compound.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    My advice is go to bodybuilding.com - there are tons of workouts you can print and take with you to the gym. They also have videos of almost any lift you can imagine so you can learn it before you go to the gym, and have the correct form once you're there. They have beginner workouts all the way through pro body-builder programs.

This. Absolutely. And if you really want to do strength training for overall improvement, and not just to look good in a bikini (although overall improvement will help there, too!) - make sure you look for compound exercises, as opposed to simple isolation exercises. You can add in some isolation, but - given overall improvement - you'll want mostly compound.

^^^Not to mention this option is also FREE.... Not discounting all of the programs recommended, but I've gotten awesome results, and all I pay for is my gym membership.
  • michelelash
    michelelash Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider seeing a personal trainer who can set you up with the appropriate amount of weights and give you the right mix of exercises to work each muscle group properly. They'll also teach you the right form which is critical. The investment will be worth the benefit instead of trying to figure it out on your own.