Should I include Massage as a exercise?

Options
When putting in my exercises, I am at a cross roads as to whether I should include time spent doing massages as part of my exercise. It's not that I want to cut corners and consider that as my exercise for the day, I just happen to work as a part/full time therapist and find myself needing more calories during the days I work, since I do at least 4-hour massages on a work day. In general I figured I should, since I seem to burn off any calories/energy I consumed before work, and tend to feel overly hungry and sometimes sluggish if I don't consume a little bit extra on days I work. I also try to consume as much water or fluids (Powerade/Gatorade) as possible, as not to confuse my needs with thirst.

Even so, if I do take into consideration my work as a type of exercise, how should I go about determining how many calories I burned?

Thank you in advance for your input.
T :)

Replies

• mallorycutting
    Options
    What is your daily activity level set to?

If you are set to sedetary just change it to lightly active.

Or on the days you work you can either count it as a bonus calorie burn or add it in as exercise. If you use the sites calorie burn amounts I would only count half of what it says as this website really over estimates calorie burns.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I think you should at least consider it as strength training. The amount of work that comes from your arms and core to do it would justify it. I would say yes...
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Nope...that would be work. Only when your heart rate is up from walking or other exercise
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    lol, had to read the thread because I thought for a moment I would get to count getting a massage as exercise!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If it is something you were doing prior to starting your lifestyle change, I would say no.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I do not log anything I do that I consider part of my "normal day". Stuff like "Cleaning the house" or "Laundry" I do not log as I consider it part of my daily routine. Though I will log "Shoveling Snow" as I do not do this on a daily (or even weekly) basis and would be "Extra" calories burned
  • paperangel87
    Options
    I have my daily activity level set to active, going based on the description of what being active is, and considering my job, I figured it was a good determination.

Generally it is, on the days I don't work, but when I do work, my body feels like it needs more.

I have tried finding calories burned while doing a massage and I can't seem to even find an option for it on MyFitnessPal. So I looked elsewhere and the numbers just seem unrealistic. One website said as much as 300 per a 50-minute session. Granted my job is quite physically exhausting, but that just seems like a overestimate.

I generally feel that taking into consideration my activity during work-days is a good thing, so that I don't feel so worn out during my shift, or lack intake. I just can't seem to figure out a good estimate on it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Even so, if I do take into consideration my work as a type of exercise

If you have set your daily activity level to "active" then no, don't add it in as extra exercise. Otherwise you're really double-accounting those calories burned.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think if you put "active", that takes into account the massages you're doing. If you also count it as exercise, it's like you're counting it twice.

I was also hoping I could count getting a massage. :)
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Nope...that would be work. Only when your heart rate is up from walking or other exercise

This is my thought---if your body is used to it...then it does not count.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a workout. If you think 300/hr is an overestimate, take it down a little. I would probably eat at least an extra 500-600 on work days, based on 4 hrs. No way can it be compared to "cleaning house" or "cooking".

You'll need to listen to your body and it may take some experimenting but I bet you are not eating nearly enough. Have you ever checked out http://eatmore2weighless.com/ or the forums on here? Good luck!
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Why dont you up your calories so you can eat more and then in a couple months you can lower it back if you want to.
  • paperangel87
    Options
    The only reason I am even considering adding it as a slight form of exercise is because in doing my job, within the last 2 years, it has actually helped me in reaching my current weight, since it has increased my general activity.

I still exercise on a normal basis outside of work, because I know that work is technically just work, but with how much I move during a session, I am finding myself quite fatigued with every session I complete and generally needing (not really wanting) to consume more food for energy.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're supposed to count normal daily activities as exercise; that's taken into consideration when you set your activity level.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I understand, if you're breaking a light sweat when giving a massage, I would maybe figure the calories in as walking.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    The only reason I am even considering adding it as a slight form of exercise is because in doing my job, within the last 2 years, it has actually helped me in reaching my current weight, since it has increased my general activity.

I still exercise on a normal basis outside of work, because I know that work is technically just work, but with how much I move during a session, I am finding myself quite fatigued with every session I complete and generally needing (not really wanting) to consume more food for energy.

Then if it's helped, don't change anything with your activity level or calories burned from exercise. Instead, increase your calorie allocation by a couple hundred and see how it works for a few weeks
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I would factor it into daily activity level. So instead of sedentary, tell the system you're mildly or moderately active. Then it will increase your calorie goal before exercise.
  • paperangel87
    Options
    Even though I have been doing massage for nearly 2 years now (generally/up to 4 massages, 4-5 days a week) I'm still not used to it. I still find myself generally fatigued when I'm finished with a shift. I don't want to cut corners, I want to do this right. I just feel like my body requires a little extra on days I work.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I'll reiterate because as an active person myself, maintaining a good weight, this worked REALLY REALLY well for me - Just keep everything the same except increase your calories by 200-300 or so. You know you have legitimate reasons for eating more so just change your calorie allocation
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am a massage therapist too! I'm set at sedentary.

And I logged it for awhile at about 144 calories an hour and I found I had a hard time eating back all those calories BUT I was still losing my projected weight loss.. when you're doing medium pressure massages you're probably not burning too many but I notice when I'm at work if I don't consume a few extra calories I get very hungry, especially when I'm doing a lot of deep work that day..if you're breaking a little sweat with your heart rate elevated a bit then you're definitely burning calories and our bodies need that fuel to power through the massage.

I stopped logging the massages because I was getting a ton of extra calories that I didn't feel as if I had truely earned- It adds up fast and you're at 600-700 calories, try it for a couple weeks and see if you're weight loss meets up with what MFP predicts..

Feel free to add!